Model Cars Magazine Forum

Siphon paint bottle stoppers.

I don't like gravity feed painting. I much prefer siphon feeding.

However one of the things that bothered me was the need to decant the paint so another color could be filled. And the cleaning? Arrgh!

The solution I came up with is multiple bottles (I'm sure some of you also prefer siphon painting). The problem, if it is in fact a problem, is the possibility of the paint drying out in the bottle since it is open at the top (siphon tube).

I wanted to find a way to plug the tube and came up with a number of unworkable solutions (Scotch Tape was one).

I finally decided to make some caps for the tube(s) using caulking but couldn't decide a way to cast such a liquid, and I thought of a number of ways all of which would require more time and work than I wanted to put in.

The solution was easy and not time consuming. It just so happened I'd gotten some styrene tubing of various sizes and as it turned out there was one just the right size.

The images will show the final product. The siphon tube on the caps is approximately 3/16" id. It just so happens that 5/16"od tubing has an id of 3/16" so fits the siphon tube a bit snugly but not so tight it would be hard to remove.

These three were the first I made. Cut the tube in 1/4" lengths (actually the next image shows them cut longer) and glue something over one end to close them. I used what I thought was thin sheet styrene but was actually some sort of plastic with a paper backing. It worked fine after I figured out how to make sure they were securely affixed. 

5abe961801189_Capswithcoverstrip.jpg.1e63c9555c36299d9781e62cc4e9cce3.jpg

I've ordered a 10 bottle pack so I can store various colors so I will only have to clean the airbrush between colors. Here are 11 caps (various lengths) 1/4" long to a bit over 5/16". I had a bottle from a long time ago to use as a pattern. BTW the length of the siphon tube is just over 5/16". One is on the bottle. As for the vent hole I tried a dab of Micro Mask. It comes off easily.

5abe98b95dfda_Capsforsiphontubes.jpg.edff5ae85a690fb7c874e23ee539992f.jpg

Overkill, I don't know, maybe I'm a bit paranoid about paint drying.

Robert

2 hours ago, Psychographic said:

I use caps for automotive vacuum lines and stick a round toothpick in the in the vent hole.

David,

Those were my first thought but had no idea where to get them. I think years ago I had some but have no idea where they might be.

Yeah they are the perfect solution.

Robert

On ‎31‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 11:48 PM, NOBLNG said:

Just curious, why do you prefer siphon? are there any advantages other than a larger paint reservoir?

That was my first thought, too. I have been pining for years for a gravity feed airbrush, though I  have never used one. I will have one eventually, but I'm curious, what is it that you find undesirable about them?

On 3/30/2018 at 4:12 PM, Ro3bert said:

The solution I came up with is multiple bottles (I'm sure some of you also prefer siphon painting). The problem, if it is in fact a problem, is the possibility of the paint drying out in the bottle since it is open at the top (siphon tube).

I don't understand. What's wrong with taking off the siphon cap and putting a solid lid on the jar?

On 4/5/2018 at 2:52 PM, Kit Basher said:

I don't understand. What's wrong with taking off the siphon cap and putting a solid lid on the jar?

Well other than I don't have solid caps, nothing, in fact, I'd never given it a thought, my bad.

I don't paint often, or at least haven't for some time, the lids tend to stick. I don't build often enough to use up a lot of paint.

• 8 months later...
On 3/31/2018 at 6:46 AM, Psychographic said:

I use caps for automotive vacuum lines and stick a round toothpick in the in the vent hole.

On 3/31/2018 at 9:00 AM, Ro3bert said:

...Those were my first thought but had no idea where to get them. I think years ago I had some but have no idea where they might be.

Auto parts stores almost always have a little selection like this... image.jpeg.2e65485671005e683db9b6aa369407c6.jpeg

Same stores and Harbor Freight usually have bigger sets as well...   image.jpeg.edfb3f19c1c8050f6aa81de145b29952.jpeg

• 1 month later...

I use solid lids too, but either way,  it still dries out very quickly once you get it in the bottle.  after 2 or 3 days, half a bottle will start to go bad and the settling on the bottom is the worst part.  I like siphon feed too because I like to shake it now and then and I'm always turning it at angles.  I would make such a mess with gravity feed that I've never tried it.    Either way, it seems to me that there is just as much clean up required, right ?

• 2 weeks later...

Somewhere, I bought a siphon feed top that fits a model master jar.   Wish I'd bought multiple.   But with that top, you can use MM jars and then cap them and save til the end of build.  Or longer.   And seems like there is a never ending supply of MM jars at my place.  Plus testors used to sell just the jars with lids.  I assume they still do.  

22 hours ago, randyc said:

Somewhere, I bought a siphon feed top that fits a model master jar.  

I made one of those by using the attachment parts from a Paasche lid. The Paasche parts are threaded, so I drilled a hole in a MM lid, and a small vent hole, and screwed the parts to the MM lid. Cut off the siphon tube to fit the MM bottle.  Fits my Badger as well.

You can buy siphon lids that fit the MM bottles at Coast Airbrush. I find them super useful. When I paint Metalizers, I start with the lightest color I am going to use, say Aluminum and switch the lid to the next darker color until I have all my "metal" parts painted. I never clean the lid or the airbrush between colots. I spray until it stops shooting color and then plug in my next darker color. It makes getting parts painted a lot easier for me.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/12/2019 at 11:19 AM, Bill J said:

You can buy siphon lids that fit the MM bottles at Coast Airbrush. I find them super useful. When I paint Metalizers, I start with the lightest color I am going to use, say Aluminum and switch the lid to the next darker color until I have all my "metal" parts painted. I never clean the lid or the airbrush between colots. I spray until it stops shooting color and then plug in my next darker color. It makes getting parts painted a lot easier for me.

I do the same.  Was afraid to admit for fear of incurring the wrath of others...  LOL.