Model Cars Magazine Forum

Broken windshields

Many--most?--model car windshields are simple curves and can be replaced with common flexible clear plastic or vinyl. Make a pattern from the broken one, cut it out, glue it in. Yes, the gluing-in will be a little more challenging than a molded kit part, but it can be done. 

I agree with Snake,  anything from merchandise containers to sheets of clear film can be used most of the time.  I use clear "old school" overhead projector sheets, they are very flexible and can curve to most shapes, also, they are cheap and plentiful!  I did it on a 54 Chevy Bel Air back window without problems but as Snake said, the gluing part can be challenging.

When it comes to bending, heat is usually required. I prefer to use a soldering iron...very controlled heat (depending on the distance), no nasty carbon residuals (as in candles or cigarette lighters). Heat guns will also work, but are a bit more than the task requires.

On Friday, April 13, 2018 at 6:12 PM, Snake45 said:

Many--most?--model car windshields are simple curves and can be replaced with common flexible clear plastic or vinyl. Make a pattern from the broken one, cut it out, glue it in. Yes, the gluing-in will be a little more challenging than a molded kit part, but it can be done.

It takes time, but it can be done. I made all the glass for this build...

Edited by thatz4u

On 4/13/2018 at 6:12 PM, Snake45 said:

Yes, the gluing-in will be a little more challenging than a molded kit part, but it can be done. 

Glue .010" square stock just behind the windshield frame on the roof (from the inside) and on the inner edge of the A pillars. Then, just pop the windshield into place. the strips will hold it securely and you won't have to worry about getting glue smudges all over.

8 hours ago, Casey said:

Could be. A more specific and descriptive post title and body would alleviate the ambiguity. -_-

Yup, you're right, and apparently he hasn't replied to clear things up.

On the subject.........how would one make broken glass for a model?  I know the windshield with the tempered glass would be practically impossible but maybe other windows for older subjects.

8 hours ago, El Roberto said:

On the subject.........how would one make broken glass for a model?  I know the windshield with the tempered glass would be practically impossible but maybe other windows for older subjects.

Take a picture of a broken windshield and use it to make a decal (using clear decal paper, of course). Maybe  several decals to simulate gunshots...just kidding.