Model Cars Magazine Forum

Favorite police procedural/crime dramas

Rob Hall

2 hours ago, OldTrucker said:

Rich, you need to get out and talk to those on the front lines about this thing you call procedural and they will tell you how much of what they show is BS!

They take a stab at the generality of procedure and then embellish it to absurd degrees!

Oh absolutely. I can't remember the last time I saw a TV show that had guns in it where they didn't get something wrong.  It's maddening. As a result of seeing decades of this, I'm under no illusion that they get anything else right, either. B)

"Police procedural" is a literary/entertainment term, not a police term. 

I mostly watch true crime shows on the ID Channel.  I like the Connelly books because I lived in Los Angeles a long time and can usually "see" in my mind the area he's writing about.  One of his books was set around the Angel's Flight funicular 2-car railway in downtown L.A. TCM recently ran the nifty film-noir "Cry Danger."  It was filmed in 1951, in that same neighborhood, the old Bunker Hill/Angel's Flight area.  Before the whole area was bulldozed and gentrified in the 1960s, it was a poor neighborhood of old rooming houses etc.  Jack Webb grew up there.

One police procedural I did enjoy was the 2010 British "Red Riding Trilogy."  It's a fictionalized version of the Yorkshire Ripper murders in the 1970s. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Riding

I mostly only read crime in books and I recently read some of Michael Connoly's books about Harry Bosch. Cool books and I can understand how someone that lives in and around LA can "see" the places in the books. You can also do the same if you live in the Stockholm area and read the books on Martin Beck. They book are all staged in the 60s-70s when they where written.
As for TV-crime, I don't follow the moderns streaming strend much and don't really care that much about watching newer series. I like Columbo, recently bought the first seven seasons (the good ones) on DVD. I also have the complete Poirot with David Suchet playing the part of Poirot on DVD. My wife was a great fan of CSI and I watched quite a lot of that with here but I still think Quincy was better (even if I have not seen that in a long time).
Maybe not the same type of crimedrama but a "modernday" series I like is the Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes series. A total of five seasons stretching from the 70s and in to the 80s.

• 2 weeks later...

I watch "Blue Bloods", I have always liked Tom Selleck (perfect mustache) and I drool over Bridgette Moynihan.  Other than that I watch reruns of Law and Order, especially the ones with Jerry Orbach (R.I.P) as lead detective and Sam Waterson as ADA. Not sure if NCIS is on the list, but I also really enjoy that one, especially in reruns with Cote de Pablo.

On April 30, 2018 at 10:31 AM, Agent G said:

and there it is, from the source.

G

G, I am a big fan of NYPD Blue and own several seasons. Did you like that series? I still watch Barney Miller on Sundance. I also liked Police Story that came on in the 70's.

Police Story was outstanding, especially considering its competition of the day (Baretta, Starsky & Hutch, etc.). 

I really enjoyed NYPD Blue. Every time they'd lose the star and bring somebody else in, I'd think, "Well, it's gonna be horrible now," and I was wrong every time. The new guy would be better than the guy he replaced, and the shows just kept getting better and better. The last season or two in particular were just outstanding. It was also interesting to watch Dennis Franz make the step up from supporting actor/second banana to star as the show evolved. 

On May 19, 2018 at 7:40 AM, Snake45 said:

Police Story was outstanding, especially considering its competition of the day (Baretta, Starsky & Hutch, etc.). 

I really enjoyed NYPD Blue. Every time they'd lose the star and bring somebody else in, I'd think, "Well, it's gonna be horrible now," and I was wrong every time. The new guy would be better than the guy he replaced, and the shows just kept getting better and better. The last season or two in particular were just outstanding. It was also interesting to watch Dennis Franz make the step up from supporting actor/second banana to star as the show evolved. 

Snake, I watched it until it was over but I stopped buying them after season 6. I watched Police Story with my dad...

Just finished season 4 of Bosch last night.  Yep I like it but you have to pay attention.  They don't waste a lot of time on unimprotant details.   Have watched The Fall on Netflix, The Killing, and most every other one.   It is a genre where my wife and I can agree.  Sit coms we are not able to agree on what is funny.   So we try about all of them.  And she loves Criminal Minds.   I like it enough that it is our "go to" if we are between series.  

I enjoy the BBC crime dramas that take a season of episoides to unfold.   Most of the time if they keep it moving.   Some have lost me with too much minutiae.

NYPD Blues was a fave back in the day.  Hill Street Blues before that.  I go back as far as Adam 12.  Not so far as Dragnet other than in reruns. 

On May 23, 2018 at 10:48 AM, Snake45 said:

Did anyone else watch The Sinner on USA network last year? It was pretty good. Just read that they've signed for a second season.

That was good and different from other shows...

On 5/21/2018 at 7:35 AM, slusher said:

Snake, I watched it until it was over but I stopped buying them after season 6. I watched Police Story with my dad...

Carl, my man! I used to like "Police Story" too.

Probably my favorite now would be" Chicago PD", Kim Burgess is BadAss!!

image.png.5080934e9ce7043ef2858921fea665e7.pngimage.png.06515e2f1a45e78c4c90c633d5e1f9d0.png

2 hours ago, madhorseman said:

Carl, my man! I used to like "Police Story" too.

Probably my favorite now would be" Chicago PD", Kim Burgess is BadAss!!

image.png.5080934e9ce7043ef2858921fea665e7.pngimage.png.06515e2f1a45e78c4c90c633d5e1f9d0.png

I watch that, but I'm only up to this year's winter break. I'll catch up this summer. Yah, Kim's badass, but the one who left at the end of last season was even hotter. :wub:

This is probably the closest thing on TV today to the campy old cops shows of the '70s like Baretta and Starsky & Hutch

On 5/25/2018 at 10:44 AM, Snake45 said:

I watch that, but I'm only up to this year's winter break. I'll catch up this summer. Yah, Kim's badass, but the one who left at the end of last season was even hotter. :wub:

This is probably the closest thing on TV today to the campy old cops shows of the '70s like Baretta and Starsky & Hutch

Hey Snake,

Lindsey was a looker fore sure!

Burgess IMHO not only a Babe but a tough takes no B.S.Lady!!

Makes her very attractive!!!

On 4/30/2018 at 2:05 PM, SfanGoch said:

... Oldtimers would say that "Naked City" nailed it as well. 

Pretty good series, in glorious black-and-white. Quite a few episodes are on YouTube now, clean clear uploads. It's low key, often kinda sad. Sorta like reality.

4 hours ago, railbuilderdhd said:

Book em Danno, old and new. Lol

Was a big fan as a kid back in the day. Didn't even try the new one. I haven't watched anything on CBS since The Unit went off. The CBS brand is, to me, a guarantee that the show, whatever it is, will be bad/stupid. 

27 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

The CBS brand is, to me, a guarantee that the show, whatever it is, will be bad/stupid. 

"Elementary" is a testament to that. If the original characters ain't broke, why try to fix them with a quirky new take?