Model Cars Magazine Forum

71/72 AMC Matador resin

• 5 months later...

He does some EXCELLENT work indeed! Just picked up this gem from him recently................

P1016435.thumb.jpg.c86a3c13fc88db7abc01c32a3d593f4a.jpg
P1016436.thumb.jpg.332c094de7fad036c6c8ae999c9fb3cd.jpg

According to pics I have of this car, he's got this Buick Caballero wagon's body shape SPOT ON! Another interesting thing is when he had this listed on eBay, I had originally lost the auction as I was willing to go all out and land this one. A day or so after I lost, he emailed me and said that he had another one (different color) that he was willing to let go if I was interested.

I jumped at the chance as I wouldn't know when this'll turn up again! This is just the body and bumpers..........I can come up with the rest. The bumpers are a wee bit on the rough side as they were 3D printed, but that's no big deal as I can smooth those out among other things. And yes, he did say that he'd like to get into this full fledged in the future.

For those of you that poo-poo 3D printing, I stand by my notion that this is the next wave of model building. There are some things that the big model companies will NEVER produce such as this car. You now have the tech to make anything you want to your liking without wishing and hoping.

I see only good things coming out of this in the future. ;)

Hey Mr Obsessive! That's exactly how I got the AMC test shots! I will try to upload some pics. The guy really seems to know what he is doing and he has some very cool subjects, like your Buick wagon. Wishing now I had bid on it. It's beautiful and can't wait to see your build if you care to share! I agree 100% that 3D printing is the wave of the future! Maybe we should keep this secret so there's not a bidding frenzy the next time he lists stuff. ?

Ok, so here's what I got for test shots. The Matador pieces are so well engineered, they basically snap together. As much as I want to build an Adam-12 police car, I'm thinking I might use the Matador nose on one of the Rebel Machine bodies to make an original Matador coupe. I will probably use one of the Ambassador noses on a sedan body to make a 70 Ambassador. Who knows. I tried to take some close ups so you all can see just how smooth the castings are (with only slightly more flash than the last of the original Johan kits ?). And fyi, I am not the same Rob that produced these pieces. Cheers!  

DSCN0328.JPG

DSCN0331.JPG

DSCN0332.JPG

DSCN0333.JPG

DSCN0334.JPG

DSCN0335.JPG

DSCN0337.JPG

DSCN0338.JPG

DSCN0339.JPG

DSCN0340.JPG

On 11/15/2018 at 7:51 PM, Dave Van said:

Lucky you!!! As a Matador owner, AMC fan and one who likes TV and movie cars.....I'd love to have one!!! 

If you look him up on ebay, he's really good to communicate with and may give you some heads up when stuff is available. I think the next batch is January. Again, please note I'm not him, and not trying to solicit business for him. He just seems to be a friend of the hobby and is worthy of our support IMHO. 

Robert those look very good------thanks for posting those! Yeah, he seems to be a very friendly guy to deal with and as I mentioned before, that was nice of him to offer up another Buick wagon to me since I had lost the original auction. Not too many do that as they'd simply relist the auction, or make a separate one for the same type item.

I had another seller do that awhile back which caught me off guard. I saw on eBay a conversion kit for turning a '69 Dart into a '67. Hood, grille, taillights/with panel and rear bumper. I originally had lost that auction, but much to my surprise I got an email from eBay letting me know that the original winning bidder had backed out and since I was the next highest bidder, I could have it if I wanted it.

For $20, I got what I think is a very well molded set! The seller's name was 'mustang_mom44820'. I don't think they're on eBay any longer under that name as it's been quite some time I've seen them sell anything.

Edited by MrObsessive

11 minutes ago, MrObsessive said:

Robert those look very good------thanks for posting those! Yeah, he seems to be a very friendly guy to deal with and as I mentioned before, that was nice of him to offer up another Buick wagon to me since I had lost the original auction. Not too many do that as they'd simply relist the auction, or make a separate one for the same type item.

I had another seller do that awhile back which caught me off guard. I saw on eBay a conversion kit for turning a '69 Dart into a '67. Hood, grille, taillights/with panel and rear bumper. I originally had lost that auction, but much to my surprise I got an email from eBay letting me know that the original winning bidder had backed out and since I was the next highest bidder, I could have it if I wanted it.

For $20, I got what I think is a very well molded set! The seller's name was 'mustang_mom44820'. I don't think they're on eBay any longer under that name as it's been quite some time I've seen them sell anything.

That's a bummer when the good ones go away! I got a couple AMC Hornet wagons a few years back...and then the seller just vanished. Would have bought more if I'd known. Really hoping this guy will go pro. If this is the quality of his test shots, actual production should be incredible.

• 4 months later...
On 11/17/2018 at 2:42 PM, AMC ROB said:

That's a bummer when the good ones go away! I got a couple AMC Hornet wagons a few years back...and then the seller just vanished. Would have bought more if I'd known. Really hoping this guy will go pro. If this is the quality of his test shots, actual production should be incredible.

As is always said,  "If you see it, buy it, because you never know if you'll see it again!"  

Who knows what occurs.  This one could've been a guy who produced the mold because he wanted to build one, then sold enough copies to pay for the mold.  Then the mold tore and he was done!   

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

As is always said,  "If you see it, buy it, because you never know if you'll see it again!"  

Who knows what occurs.  This one could've been a guy who produced the mold because he wanted to build one, then sold enough copies to pay for the mold.  Then the mold tore and he was done!   

When it comes to things on eBay, that can be a VERY true statement! It's said that eBay can be like waiting for the bus..........another one will come along if you missed the last one. Problem is, who knows how long that bus can take to arrive!

The seller who was selling those Matador bodies was on eBay again BTW, but the auction(s) had ended literally just yesterday. Anyone interested, I'd save the seller if it were me and make it so that you'll get notified when he comes up with something new. His homepage on the 'Bay is here.

I happen to see a '71 Imperial he had on auction, but with NNL East coming up and a possible VERY BIG ticket item I may buy there, I better watch the nickels and dimes. ;)

Edited by MrObsessive