Model Cars Magazine Forum

Will Hobby Lobby be stocking the Dyno Don Cougar funny car?

GMP440

You could ask the person in charge of that section. The girl who's in charge of the art department at the HL near me also handles stocking and ordering for the hobby section. She has a fairly good handle on what's coming or is out of stock at the warehouse. She did say our store is due for a reset soon and would know what's coming in and what's being discontinued shortly before it goes forward.

3 hours ago, Phirewriter said:

You could ask the person in charge of that section. The girl who's in charge of the art department at the HL near me also handles stocking and ordering for the hobby section. She has a fairly good handle on what's coming or is out of stock at the warehouse. She did say our store is due for a reset soon and would know what's coming in and what's being discontinued shortly before it goes forward.

A "reset" might mean getting rid of all their plastic models.  Their selection gets smaller every day.

1 hour ago, russosborne said:

No sign of it at the local HL here.

But a regular hobby shop also doesn't have it yet.

Not sure if it has actually hit the streets yet.

Russ

Russ its already on ebay. Mine was shipped out Friday.should be on shelves

This week coming up.

1 hour ago, El Roberto said:

A "reset" might mean getting rid of all their plastic models.  Their selection gets smaller every day.

Hobby Lobby resets their model section every six months to bring in newly released stuff and clear out things going out if production. The kits that won't be coming back are supposed to go straight to 75% off now instead of 40% to get them gone.

Yup, that's all it means. Our HL seems to do a fairly brisk business in model kits based on my discussions with the department lead. I primarily buy art supplies there and still give most of my hobby support to my LHS.  While she doesn't have complete control over what is stocked for new items she did say that corporate does pay attention to unit sales and she's encouraged to give feedback based on kit requests. Might be a good idea to talk to the people that work there if that's your primary source for models.

As far as plastic model cars go I think the Funny Car might be the genre that I love the most... looking forward to finding this new on on the shelves.  I've already got the only two that I have found at HL (Soapy Sales and The Trojan Horse, I am working on Soapy Sales now).  I haven't seen any new, in production funny cars anywhere else including online except for the 1/16 Hawaiin car which I have on order from an online provider that I found at a good price.  

What are some other funny cars available now?

15 hours ago, jchrisf said:

As far as plastic model cars go I think the Funny Car might be the genre that I love the most... looking forward to finding this new on on the shelves.  I've already got the only two that I have found at HL (Soapy Sales and The Trojan Horse, I am working on Soapy Sales now).  I haven't seen any new, in production funny cars anywhere else including online except for the 1/16 Hawaiin car which I have on order from an online provider that I found at a good price.  

What are some other funny cars available now?

Not much, only what AMT and MPC have been doing. Revell/Monogram have totally dropped out, and given their current state, who knows when any of their stuff will see the light of day again. 

Most funny cars are pretty cheap on ebay and kit shows, I would just start hunting them down that way. 

On 6/2/2018 at 11:11 PM, El Roberto said:

Yeah, and with the Revell thing being so uncertain and Tamiya raising prices, we should probably forget about ever being able to buy models at a retail establishment. 

Okay, sarcasm turned off. I doubt Hobby Lobby will get rid of models any time soon. 

On 6/2/2018 at 10:11 PM, El Roberto said:

Reset for Hobby Lobby means just that, a reset. They do it very few months. 

Every location is different, so if you're seeing a downsize it your location it's not typical. The two that I go to have been steady for many years now. The only thing that I see changing soon at HL is IF suppliers start running out of Revell product they may shrink the model kit area, but hopefully instead HL will compensate for that by carrying more Round2 stuff. Or maybe carry Tamiya car kits since they already stock Tamiya military kits?

My local HL has been the at the same size for Models since it opened. About 9/10ths of an aisle. The Resets are just a changing of the planogram on what kits are stocked in what slots on the shelf. Should be fun, although most of the May R2 kits are already on the shelf.  June should be a fun month.

I just stopped at the local HL for some Tamiya Fine White Primer and other stuff.  This store only opened last month.  The model aisle didn't have many empty slots.  And they seemed to have some new kits from the last time I was there, like the new White Freightliner with Dual Drive/Single Drive options.  Because it's such a new store, what they don't have are many Clearance items, and non model-related.  Yet.