Model Cars Magazine Forum

ratty 1969 dodge cgarger project

MOPARmaniac

Hey guys, my dad gave me a model of revell's 1969 dodge charger he had never completed when he was a kid. He started to put dents in it to make it a junkyard car, but I thought it would be cool to make it look like someones ratty project car. I plan to have the doors open and close, the trunk already has hinges that he made a long time ago. I was also kinda thinking about making the headlight doors open and close, we'll see. Anyway, hope you guys enjoy!

20180606_140318.jpg

20180606_140344.jpg

20180606_140430.jpg

3 hours ago, espo said:

Nice basis to work with. If you keep the vinyl roof you could have a little stuffing sticking out of a tear in the top. One headlight working and one not. Possibilities are endless.  

speaking of which I was just about to ask of a good way to make the vinyl top look torn, because I was already planning on it, but I have never done it before.

did some weathering to the chassis, put a few rust holes in the frame rails. I just did a brown wash for the base of the weathering. Then I sprayed clear coat on it and sprinkled cinnamon all over it, then sprayed clear coat on top of that. I'm not completely done with the weathering, but I think it looks good so far.

20180607_140322.jpg

20180607_140218.jpg

I agree with the cinnamon idea. Looks like the chassis was in a very wet environment for a long time. I have not done a torn vinyl roof but I have seen a few here on the forum that look good. Remember these cars didn't have any padding to speak off and were glued to the roof directly. The old cars I remember in 1:1 with a torn roofs the under side looked like an off white and the glue residue seemed to be a dull yellow color. Maybe sanding a small section smooth and some paint treatment might be worth trying. Another thought is that many of these tops would start coming apart along the seems and that might even be a more realistic idea. I think I would try something on the old picnic spoons first but that's just me. Look forward to what all you do to this build.

On 6/7/2018 at 2:09 PM, MOPARmaniac said:

did some weathering to the chassis, put a few rust holes in the frame rails. I just did a brown wash for the base of the weathering. Then I sprayed clear coat on it and sprinkled cinnamon all over it, then sprayed clear coat on top of that. I'm not completely done with the weathering, but I think it looks good so far.

20180607_140322.jpg

20180607_140218.jpg

Looks good ! Going to need to add some old burnt rubber in the wheel wells?

10 hours ago, 426 pack said:

This thing looks horrible (I mean that in a good way). 

What type of motor are you going to put in it? 

I will be watching.

I'm putting a 440 in it, nothing special, just a turquoise, greasy, nasty 440 that is 50 years old. however I don't have any pics right now, I have been very busy the past few days, so sorry about that guys.

well, I did it. After two days of planning, anger, and happiness, I know have one of the headlight doors functioning. Now I just have to get the other one working as well. I am quite happy with this, even though the mechanism to make the door open looks like BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH. It is the first time i have tried anything this complicated, S I am pretty proud of myself.

20180613_141737.jpg

20180613_141820.jpg

20180613_141842.jpg

20180613_141901.jpg

13 minutes ago, Slotto said:

That headlight deal is cool! It's fun when you do something you have never done before and it works out. It gives you a big boost in encouragement. Great job!

Thanks! I really appreciate all the comments from you guys. I finalized the headlight mechanism on that side of the grill and decided to see how it would look when it was on the car, however im not done because I still need to make the other headlight door open and close. Also I need to sand on the driver side fender, because it is scratch built and making the grill sit crooked.

20180613_190000.jpg

20180613_190118.jpg

20180613_190032.jpg

Some nice progress being made here. Should be an accurate representation of how many of the surviving cars are living their lives these days, rusting away somewhere waiting to be restored. Your scratch work on those headlight doors is nice, just clean up the inner buckets a bit and you'll be golden!