Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hobby Lobby/ Michaels ?

8 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

Tell you what, Ron. You wanna support LHS's? Take a ride into Manhattan and visit Jan's Hobby Shop. You can support the joint to your heart's content paying up to 2 1/2 times MSRP for a kit. That's price gouging. Do a search for Jan's on this site and you'll see that I'm not exaggerating. I'm not going to get ripped off for something I can get online for almost 70% less just to keep their door open. 

Yea,no thanks,Who said anything about going  to NYC?Everything in Manhattan is 10X more expensve then anywhere else on the planet.A hamburger costs $10...And since I live on LI,NYC is not so local.So no,I don't think I'll be visiting Jan's hobby shop.All I mean is to help the small guys.

I also live on Lawnguylant....Brooklyn.

18 minutes ago, NYLIBUD said:

All I mean is to help the small guys.

Jan's qualifies in that respect. Just because a place is a mom & pop-sized operation doesn't automatically grant it some kind of protected status or sense of entitlement deserving my patronage. Jan's falls into that category. Taking advantage of the fact that you are the only hobby shop in Manhattan doesn't mean you can/should gouge your potential customers. Ditto on this point as well. If you want to help the small guys, you can order stuff from Gene Bagnoli, owner of S & J Hobbies in Staten Island. Gene literally runs his mail order business from his home. I've visited him and his place is packed like a warehouse. He's been doing it for over 35 years. He can get anything you want and at a super price without burning you. I've dealt with Gene for almost 30 years and am an extremely satisfied customer. Call him @ 917-292-2625 and support a real small guy. He's also a frequent vendor at IPMS/AMPS/NJHMA/Long Island Scale Model Society events. Anybody who has done business with Gene swears by him. 

I had to drive 3/4 of the way to Hobby Lobby and AC Moore today in order to go to an ATT store. Almost 40 miles to that store. So what's another 10 to 12 miles to HL and AC Moore. Sticker shock. The new models coming into AC Moore are priced at $37.99 a kit. Make sure you have your coupon. And by new they are just restocking what they had.

On 6/12/2018 at 11:48 AM, Rob Hall said:

When I lived in Colorado Springs (97-02) and the Denver area (02-08) I used to go to Colpars all the time...was my favorite shop.  There was one way up in Greeley I'd go to a couple times a year. 

I used to work for a distributor and hobby shop in Englewood. We sold kits and supplies to shops in the Springs, to both Colpar stores and many of the other shops along the Front Range. Colpar's stores are still run/managed by the same guy who ran them, then, except they are now Hobbytown franchises. They both still maintain an excellent supply of kits, supplies, tools, etc., including aftermarket stuff. I've known many of the people who work there for decades, now. I loved Caboose Hobbies for scratchbuilding supplies. Alas, they sold out, and what remains is a shadow of what once was, and are basically Caboose Hobbies in name only, now. That store in Greeley was Don's Hobbies. It is unfortunately gone now, as well. The coolest thing about Don's was that they had a pretty fair selection of out-of-production kits, and that was always fun to check out!

Edited by Straightliner59

2 minutes ago, Straightliner59 said:

I used to work for a distributor and hobby shop in Englewood. We sold kits and supplies to shops in the Springs, to both Colpar stores and many of the other shops along the Front Range. Colpar's stores are still run/managed by the same guy who ran them, then, except they are now Hobbytown franchises. They both still maintain an excellent supply of kits, supplies, tools, etc., including aftermarket stuff. I've known many of the people who work there for decades, now. I loved Caboose Hobbies for scratchbuilding supplies. Alas, they sold out, and what remains is a shadow of what once was, and are basically only Caboose Hobbies in name only, now. That store in Greeley was Don's Hobbies. It is, unfortunately gone now, as well. The coolest thing about Don's was that they had a pretty fair selection of out-of-production kits, and that was always fun to check out!

Cool...the shop I frequented in Colorado Springs was really fun also, they often had out of production kits as well...'Compleat Games and Hobbies' IIRC... 

18 minutes ago, Straightliner59 said:

I used to work for a distributor and hobby shop in Englewood. We sold kits and supplies to shops in the Springs, to both Colpar stores and many of the other shops along the Front Range. Colpar's stores are still run/managed by the same guy who ran them, then, except they are now Hobbytown franchises. They both still maintain an excellent supply of kits, supplies, tools, etc., including aftermarket stuff. I've known many of the people who work there for decades, now. I loved Caboose Hobbies for scratchbuilding supplies. Alas, they sold out, and what remains is a shadow of what once was, and are basically only Caboose Hobbies in name only, now. That store in Greeley was Don's Hobbies. It is, unfortunately gone now, as well. The coolest thing about Don's was that they had a pretty fair selection of out-of-production kits, and that was always fun to check out!

There was a Hobbytown in Colonie, NY but that closed about a year or so ago. I use to buy there but obviously business wasn’t good enough to keep it open. Sad really. You could buy white wall tires and anything else there. When I was a kid just about every kit camE with white walls. If you didn’t want them. You used the reverse side.