Model Cars Magazine Forum

BeeMax 935 K3

So this morning they dropped this off...

37908861_1788990304469620_4097406196317683712_o.jpg.27955b018de1ec2b9fd7c94603bb64d3.jpg

The Gr. A Rally Peugeot 306 Maxi. I forsee further goodness out of this as Peugeot also supplied a "GTi" version for Touring Car racing and aside from several National Touring Car Championships around the world the 306 GTi won the 1999 & 2000 24hrs of Spa. The last years of Touring Cars before FIA GT regs would take over.

There's always more than 1 kit baked into any tooling they do, and we've seen the Touring/Rally split before with the BMW E30 M3.

Speaking of baking in 3rd versions finally announced for September Pre-Order (and somewhat snuck under most people's radar because they have seen a Honda Civic JTCC car floating around now for awhile) is the EF9 version of said Civic. This receives almost entirely new front end pieces (bumper, glass, hood, etc)  along with rear facia, exhaust and other bits to "forward-date" the EF3 kit to 1991 spec.

37884694_2105774822827182_2895704523337105408_n.jpg.73a7f9d8a9eecb9c5b22c6ca56fad586.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Roncla said:

BeeMax have just announced they will be doing the K3 version of their newly released Porsche 935 K2.

I trust decals will follow for the Apple Computer version. its always been one of my favourite Porsche colour schemes.

http://www.spotmodel.com/product_info.php?products_id=51899

apple-computer-porsche-935-41.jpg

I'd be good for a set of those decals, but the kit is going to come with the livery in the picture on Spotmodels for that 24hrs of Le Mans car - although that sort of thing could be subject to change in the next 6 months depending on licensing.  So best bet is the aftermarket on this one, it almost has to be.  I'm not really sure I wanna think about how much licensing would cost to use the Apple logos & names...

18 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

I'd be good for a set of those decals, but the kit is going to come with the livery in the picture on Spotmodels for that 24hrs of Le Mans car - although that sort of thing could be subject to change in the next 6 months depending on licensing.  So best bet is the aftermarket on this one, it almost has to be.  I'm not really sure I wanna think about how much licensing would cost to use the Apple logos & names...

I was figuring that the only way we will ever see Apple Decals will be through the aftermarket. Jagermeister Decals from the aftermarket should be a sure thing as they  embrace models being released in their livery.

6052805346_28ec9e66a4_b.jpg

Edited by Roncla
added words

I agree that there is a ton of liveries that need to be done for this car. I can think of the Interscope/Danny Ongias car, the Bob Akin/ Coca-Cola car, the Preston Henn/T-Bird Swap Shop car, or the John Paul powder Blue one. However, the decals that look to be included in the kit are probably the most appropriate for the first version. After all, it was the 1979 LeMans winner of the Kremer Bros. It was the first K3 and the drivers have an international flavor. Klaus Ludwig and the Whittington Bros drove it at LeMans. The Whittingtons owned Road Atlanta and eventually went to prison for their huge pot business. The real car is now owned by Bruce Myer.

1 hour ago, OutaFocus said:

I agree that there is a ton of liveries that need to be done for this car. I can think of the Interscope/Danny Ongias car, the Bob Akin/ Coca-Cola car, the Preston Henn/T-Bird Swap Shop car, or the John Paul powder Blue one. However, the decals that look to be included in the kit are probably the most appropriate for the first version. After all, it was the 1979 LeMans winner of the Kremer Bros. It was the first K3 and the drivers have an international flavor. Klaus Ludwig and the Whittington Bros drove it at LeMans. The Whittingtons owned Road Atlanta and eventually went to prison for their huge pot business. The real car is now owned by Bruce Myer.

Pretty sure - at least in the picture included on Spotmodel - the 935 Gr. 5 car is the Dick Barbour #70 that finished 2nd in the '79 24hrs Le Mans.

39 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

Pretty sure - at least in the picture included on Spotmodel - the 935 Gr. 5 car is the Dick Barbour #70 that finished 2nd in the '79 24hrs Le Mans.

Yup, looks like that to me too. It was driven by Dick Barbour, Paul Newman, and Rolf Stommelen. It finished 2nd overall and won the IMSA class that year. So Beemax is doing both the 1st and 2nd place overall finishers for 1979.

Edited by OutaFocus

7 hours ago, afx said:

The Dick Barbour car is an evolution of the 935-77.

Image result for porsche 935-77 dick barbourImage result for porsche 935-77 dick barbourImage result for porsche 935-77 dick barbourImage result for porsche 935-77 dick barbour

Barbour ran two cars. #90 was a development of a 935/78 (77A) and #70 was rebuilt using a new Porsche Motorsports 935 tub #009 00030 from the wreckage of last years wrecked 935, itself converted from Barbour's old 934.5. #70 was the 2nd place car.

Interestingly, the car was sold to Bob Garretson:

"At the end of the season, the car was sold by Dick Barbour to Bob Garretson. That meant the car stayed ‘in house’ at Dick Barbour Racing, it just had a new owner. Dick had ordered a new Kremer car for the 1980 season. The 009 00030 car ran in the 24 hours of Daytona driven by Bob, Anny Verney and Skeeter McKitterick but at this point it was still running as a 935-79 with the stock factory setup.

After Daytona, the car was back to the shop to be converted as a Kremer kit had been ordered, and this car was to be converted to K3 specification. The kit consisted of new front and rear fenders, new rear wing, new false rear window, new front air dam, and an air to air intercooler system.

For Sebring, and the rest of the 1980 season, this car would be sponsored by Apple Computer. This was back in the early days before Apple was the household name it is today."

So it also ran as a K3 with the Apple scheme as shone above.

But what does any of that matter? We are getting an American run car that finished 2nd overall in 935 configuration! Hell, I wouldn't car if it started life as a 1963 VW Beetle...

Edited by OutaFocus

21 hours ago, OutaFocus said:

Barbour ran two cars. #90 was a development of a 935/78 (77A)

The #90 car

Image result for barbour porsche 935Image result for barbour porsche 935

Only (2) 935/78 chassis were produced by Porsche, "Moby Dick" and a spare chassis. 

http://www.speedhunters.com/2013/09/911-extreme-93578-moby-dick/

911 To The Extreme: <br/>The 935/78 Moby Dick

Joest Racing independently produced "935/78-81" chassis.

http://www.racingsportscars.com/suffix/photo/Porsche/935/__78-81.html

Edited by afx

Scott, I see in the Barbour article it states: “Dick was looking to expand in 1978, and he had ordered a new 935/78 (77A) for Daytona.”  I think it's a typo, from what I've read the 935-77 was the predecessor to the 935/77A.  

https://www.ultimatecarpage.com/sn/3269/Porsche-935-77A.html

Porsche 935/77A

Article Image gallery (174) Chassis (5) Specifications User Comments (1)  
Click here to open the Porsche 935/77A gallery   
Country of origin: Germany
Produced in: 1978
Numbers built: 15
Internal name: 930
Predecessor: Porsche 935/77
Successor: Porsche 935/79
Author: Wouter Melissen
Last updated: December 19, 2014
Download: All images

To confuse things Wikipedia indicates the 935/76 was the predecessor to the 935/77A (?)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_935

935/77A customer

220px-Porsche935-Stommelen1977-05-29.jpg

The 935/77A of Georg Loos driven by Rolf Stommelen in the 1977 1000km Nürburgring

Based on the 1976 version, thirteen Porsche 935/77A[11] were sold to privateer teams in Australia, Italy, France, the US and Germany. Among others, Cologne-based rivals Georg Loos and Kremer Racing entered 935s in the 1977[12] Deutsche Rennsport Meisterschaft which introduced the Group 5 rules. As the naturally aspirated BMW Coupés and Ford Capri had pulled out of the Div. I (over 2.0 litre) of the DRM, these Porsches had no serious competition in the big division until other turbo-charged cars like the BMW-powered Schnitzer, Toyota Celica and the Zakspeed Ford Capri showed up.

The DRM was a drivers' championship, and with equal Porsche customer machinery, no driver could dominate, which meant that despite the customer 934 of 1976 and the 935 since 1977 dominating their division, the championship was often decided in favour of a small division pilot. Kremer went on to develop yet another special 935, the K2, and also ran the optional 3.0L engine offered by Porsche, which was connected with sixty kg more minimum weight.

Slightly modified, Porsche also sold customer cars in 1978[13] and 1979.[14]

Edited by afx