Model Cars Magazine Forum

72 Goat

unclescott58

Richard is so right that it is a pig of a kit! Terrible flash and misalignment of the dies.

I have had this one on the bench for a month now, have to keep walking away from it lest I''ll smash it!

Took a week on the body to get all the parts to line up and finally got paint on it.

I built this kit decades ago and though it wasn't the greatest at least it built up fairly easy!

1 hour ago, Bob Ellis said:

There are 3 different 1972 GTO bodies

First I've heard of this, but I don't doubt it. I've seen one that seems to fit the rear bumper fairly well, but most of the reissues the body is MUCH narrower than the bumper and it hangs over on both sides. 

I'm working on another former glue bomb, probably an '80s issue (I'm converting it to a '71) that's molded in a gold color, or about the color of "brown" mustard. 

The blue-painted glue bomb I just "rescued," it was molded in red and the rear bumper overhangs a little on each side, but not as badly as on a couple of molded-in-white reissues I have. 

10 hours ago, Snake45 said:

First I've heard of this, but I don't doubt it. I've seen one that seems to fit the rear bumper fairly well, but most of the reissues the body is MUCH narrower than the bumper and it hangs over on both sides. 

I'm working on another former glue bomb, probably an '80s issue (I'm converting it to a '71) that's molded in a gold color, or about the color of "brown" mustard. 

The blue-painted glue bomb I just "rescued," it was molded in red and the rear bumper overhangs a little on each side, but not as badly as on a couple of molded-in-white reissues I have. 

I had to remove over an eighth of an inch out of my rear bumper.

Mine is molded in gray soft plastic th a is terrible to clean the flash off of!:(

I did mine with the chassis and engine shroud from the 69 442, and borrowed all kinds of engine components from elsewhere.  I cut the trunk on both sides and spread the body to meet the bumper in back and used aftermarket wheels and tires.  A LOT of effort to clean up this horrible kit, but it made a somewhat more convincing replica:

DD9CB5E1-9CA1-4D52-8BAA-0D5C337672A4.thumb.jpeg.644ae5f9e657eb9130add1ffb6bf4ed7.jpeg

B2B90C4C-52F4-43F7-80D6-4C37455B2F7F.thumb.jpeg.58d57e1863bffb414aecae308897247b.jpeg

B369E822-6EAB-4C56-8A79-BA377F20920C.thumb.jpeg.b428fee409bf57f6cbf52fc258fdc0f8.jpeg

50 minutes ago, Kmb0319 said:

I cut the trunk on both sides and spread the body to meet the bumper in back and used aftermarket wheels and tires. 

I'm thinking of doing that, or something very much like it, on my next one. I think it will be easier, better looking and more accurate to widen the body than to narrow the bumper. But who knows, by the time I get to it, I could decide to go the other way.