Model Cars Magazine Forum

Welly 72 Trans Am Finished With Tire Decals

THarrison351

I'm slowly getting there. Mostly done except the body. Hopefully that will be finished today.

The under hood finished.

IMG_0002-vi.jpg

The chassis plate. I filled the two holes that where bugging the fool out of me to begin with using some stretched sprue which lead to the next discovery. I did get a little carried away with the Dremel initially, but oh well, holes gone.  And I found a fresh bottle of steel paint.

IMG_0003-vi.jpg

Found this while digging through boxes for sprue. Now I don't have to paint the black around the stripes.

IMG_0006-vi.jpg

Finally, the instrument panel is complete. Why is it you never see those woolly boogers when you're looking through the camera? They seem to only show up after you've put everything away and downloaded the pictures.

IMG_0001-vi.jpg

On 8/31/2018 at 8:24 AM, randyc said:

Wow!  That's great!  I have a 67 Welly I am detailing for a friend and was thinking that same thing.   That's mighty tempting after seeing your photos.    I was thinking of the white seat/black carpet version as well.   Or I could do white seats/blue carpet.  Was that an option on the birds?  Mopar offered that combination.   Have to see if I feel like taking it that far when I get to the bench.  He's left it up to me for how far to take the detailing.  All we know for sure is wheels and grille.   But yours is absolutely spectacular!  

And you'll love the VL.  My VLS is 22 years old.  Lost the red thing years ago and if it had any etching on the body, it's long gone.  All that's original on mine is the body.  I think EVERY other part has been replaced.  Cleanliness is key though.  

As I said, I'm no expert and see what I found. Apparently, ivory (white) has black carpets, dash and center console. For future reference.

https://sanfranciscosportscars.com/vehicles/388/1972-pontiac-trans-am

It's complete. The decals fit OK and a skosh large. They didn't respond as I hoped with the Solvaset. They wrinkled like I'm used to, but the wrinkles didn't smooth completely back out. Also, the shaker opening is different so a little black touch up was required. Overall, I think it turned out better than me trying to paint the stripes on the white area as required.

I decided to Molotow pen the chrome. I love these things. I couldn't do a '59 Caddy, but raised ridges are pretty easy.

NewTop-vi.jpg

NewFront-vi.jpg

NewLeftSide-vi.jpg

NewRear-vi.jpg

Got an extra plate from that decal sheet too.

NewRightSide-vi.jpg

NewRightRearQuarter-vi.jpg

NewInterior1-vi.jpg

NewUnderHood-vi.jpg

NewLeftRearQuarter-vi.jpg

NewInterior-vi.jpg

NewBottom-vi.jpg

Edited by THarrison351

16 hours ago, randyc said:

That's the one.  Has tiny little clear lenses in huge bezels.   Other than that looks pretty good.   And the wheels do come out nice.  

IMG_20180830_172440845_LL.jpg

Who makes that? I've never seen one. Might have to try to track one down. 

10 hours ago, THarrison351 said:

It's complete. The decals fit OK and a skosh large. They didn't respond as I hoped with the Solvaset. They wrinkled like I'm used to, but the wrinkles didn't smooth completely back out. Also, the shaker opening is different so a little black touch up was required. Overall, I think it turned out better than me trying to paint the stripes on the white area as required.

I decided to Molotow pen the chrome. I love these things. I couldn't do a '59 Caddy, but raised ridges are pretty easy.

NewFront-vi.jpg

Fabulous! I hereby award you your Black Belt in Snake-Fu. B)

Actually, "Snake-Fu" might be insulting when talking about the work you've done here. You took far more time and went FAR beyond the detailing and work I typically do on a diecast. Well done, and what's next on the workbench from you? B)

10 hours ago, THarrison351 said:

LOOKS GREAT!   And finished.  So many projects get stalled.   Diecasts make it easier on you to keep focused because a lot is already taken care of. 

I did order some Fireball white lettering for the tires on mine.  going with GY Eagle STs since they look like radials.  

3 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Fabulous! I hereby award you your Black Belt in Snake-Fu. B)

Actually, "Snake-Fu" might be insulting when talking about the work you've done here. You took far more time and went FAR beyond the detailing and work I typically do on a diecast. Well done, and what's next on the workbench from you? B)

Well, if I had the supply of Welly diecasts from Rite Aid you have, the possibilities might be endless. Wichita, on the other hand has other ideas. So, now that overtime is finished where I work. I have one outside project that has to be finished before winter. My deck needs repaired and finished. The weather this week is not cooperating. That was why I was able to finish the T/A so fast. I have three plastic kits on my table to start. Two NASCAR Ford Fusions to represent Ryan Blaney's 2016 VT Hokies car and his 2018 Menards car. I also just received a Tamiya Nissan Skyline KPGC-10 2000 GT-R stock version I plan to tackle.

3 hours ago, randyc said:

LOOKS GREAT!   And finished.  So many projects get stalled.   Diecasts make it easier on you to keep focused because a lot is already taken care of. 

I did order some Fireball white lettering for the tires on mine.  going with GY Eagle STs since they look like radials.  

I need to order some tire decals too. I think they would really finish the looks.

Edited by THarrison351

• 4 weeks later...

So, I didn't take Randy's advice and order decals from Fireball. I ordered mine from Mike's, because I was ordering some other decals and stuff, and they had these BF Goodrich decals for $4 and why not. I'm happy with them. I could have centered them a bit better, but unless you really stare hard it's barely noticeable to me. I used flat acrylic after i let the decal dry to knock the shine off the decal. I consider it complete.

IMG_0004-vi.jpg

Looks great!  Really finishes the car off.   I'm out of the loop on aftermarket stuff and didn't know about Mike's.   Who is that?   Be glad to look at them as well.  Someone sent me a set of Fireball decals for a project, so I was familiar with them.  I like to spread the money to as many as possible.  

5 hours ago, randyc said:

Looks great!  Really finishes the car off.   I'm out of the loop on aftermarket stuff and didn't know about Mike's.   Who is that?   Be glad to look at them as well.  Someone sent me a set of Fireball decals for a project, so I was familiar with them.  I like to spread the money to as many as possible.  

I'm always on the lookout for someone to make custom decals, can you provide contact information for both Fireball and Mike's?

Thanks!

Mike's Decals is mainly NASCAR: https://www.mikesdecals.com/  Features Powerslide decals which was the maker of the letters for the tires. They make many NASCAR decals. I'm not sure what the relation is with Mike's and Poweslide, but when he posts on the NASCAR model forum that new decals are coming out, it's almost always Powerslide.

18 hours ago, THarrison351 said:

Mike's Decals is mainly NASCAR: https://www.mikesdecals.com/  Features Powerslide decals which was the maker of the letters for the tires. They make many NASCAR decals. I'm not sure what the relation is with Mike's and Poweslide, but when he posts on the NASCAR model forum that new decals are coming out, it's almost always Powerslide.

2 hours ago, randyc said:

Fireball is http://www.fireballmodels.info/  From there you can skip around.   There is also a thread on here running from a guy in Netherlands? who looks to be doing nice work.  

So both of those guys work primarily in 1/24?  Plus, didn't see where either did custom decals.

Thanks, nonetheless!

• 6 months later...