Model Cars Magazine Forum

You still have models built long ago?

89AKurt

58 minutes ago, Dave Darby said:

Love that one! It's on my bucket list. I built one when it first came out. But it definitely wasn't box stock. The next one will be just like the box art. Yours is gorgeous. Thank you for the inspiration! PS: this one was in pieces too. Put them back together and let's see em!

IMG_4985rt-vi (1).jpg

Dave, when I first saw this, I thought it was a Mark Gustavson '70s build! B)

56 minutes ago, 89AKurt said:

Appreciate the continued interest on my topic!  I was thinking of starting a junkyard topic, of models that fell one too many times, but we just can't toss in the garbage.  :rolleyes:

I had some basket case builds from my teens slated for restoration that our movers seem to have lost along with some other stuff. I have a good number of vintage survivors built by others if those count.

20170317_201844-vi.jpg

On 9/9/2018 at 5:22 PM, Dave Darby said:

If any of you guys have Facebook, you should cruise over to Scale Survivors. Here are a few I built in the 70s from age 12 to 16. All of these are unrestored except for the Steaker Vette. It was repainted because I stripped it 30 years ago. But I used the same paint as original, and detailed to the same level.

IMG_9101rt_1-vi.jpg

IMG_6487-vi.jpg

20171022_114946-vi.jpg

IMG_9715rt_1-vi (2).jpg

IMG_9701rt_1-vi (1).jpg

IMG_4985rt-vi (1).jpg

IMG_4986rt-vi (2).jpg

That corvettes electric green is gorgeous

53 minutes ago, Funkychiken said:

That corvettes electric green is gorgeous

Thanks! It's Plastkote Metalflake Green, and I think it's still available (in a different can design). I didn't clear it because I didn't the first time.

https://www.plastikote.com/products/Specialty/Metal-Flake.html

IMG_0478rt_1-vi.jpg

Edited by Dave Darby

• 2 weeks later...

How long ago is 'long ago'?  When one has been building long enough, that may be our best claim to fame!  Here are two, all I have photos of right now, that are 're-built' from Revell MoPar kits I did in 1962, but were literally crushed while in storage (when I got drafted in '68), and now reborn.

I have about twenty-plus from the very early (pre-Beatle) '60s that I am building or restoring, and MCM Wanted and Trade forums have been a miraculous help to me, esp since our local model shop closed it's doors!  Very little contact with scale car modelers in our area, alas!!

I use mostly PPG large-scale finishes and materials, as after retiring as a teacher, I worked as delivery boy for our local store -- where I'd been shopping for 1:1 refinishing supplies for decades.  I'm trying to find someone locally who will tutor me in resin casting; I think I have all the stuff, and lots of parts to copy.  The 2X4 manifold from the AMT '62 (?) Pontiac kit is crude, but could be basis for a better one, in resin.  ETC!

These cars were hard to rebuild, the Dodge required an extra glue-bomb for parts.  It is my idea of a two-seater build for dragging, c. 1962, in the style of the new Demon and Hellkitty.  The Plymouth got it's roof from a JoHan '60 Dodge back in '62, courtesy of lots of Duro Plastic Aluminum; it has the Lancer Hyper-Pak Slant-6 with ram 4-bbl and 3-into-1 headers that came with it, and the asymmetrical theme that Exner has intended the '62s to sport, before it lost him his job at Chrysler design staff!    Wick

OH HELP: my files wouldn't upload!

I love seeing everyone's old original builds!

I was lucky to save some as well from the 70's

This one is one of my most detailed, 71 Cougar XR7 I built when I was 13-14

IMG_9443.thumb.JPG.f304d3f0830fa94273a4f3a36effe20c.JPG

Back when we used thread run through bees-wax for wiring

IMG_9460.thumb.JPG.a4ab55a36a14e018e4145aaba6b49ce3.JPG

IMG_9462.thumb.JPG.7feea25166aa4bd6d1d175218bbff0db.JPG

Check out the air-shock filler and handmade ladder brackets. hand painted "Sweet Emotion" was the name of the car when I recall naming cars was a thing. Wish I could detail paint like that again.

IMG_9463.JPG.dba5744ab4342dcfe7888632456cff9f.JPG

Back when having a beer in the car wasn't a big deal. That's a COOR's on the open glove-compartment

IMG_9482.JPG.f6130d59020c762531a962949db522aa.JPG

IMG_9504.thumb.JPG.71a06ab7dea38657b0bab26124b4fcd6.JPG

IMG_9428.JPG.2b6479fce34b16031e231c4b3cfb118a.JPG