Model Cars Magazine Forum

Grand Sport #005 Pre Race

James2

Thanks Guys.

I started to work on the window trim last night. These cars seem to have the rubber seal only so I decided to go with the BMF, Black Chrome.

If you haven't used it before  (I Have Not) it is a bit challenging. First of all just getting it off the backing sheet is a trick. Then it seems to loose tack when applying to the subject. And if I burnished it to much the black rubbed off and left a shiny spot!

After a couple attempts I think I got a system going that worked well for me. After I did a little touch up with a Sharpie and things look pretty good. I hope to finish the rear window and start final assembly this week end. Maybe!

Pix to follow...

I managed to get the trim done and apply the white number circles. This model represents one of the Mecom Racing cars as delivered to Nassau.

The black edge decal is a separate decal and while it could have been a disaster, they went on without a problem. I used some decal solvent and a hair dryer to help the decals set nicely to the curves of the body. Next some touch up and then final assembly...

Below is a picture from Paddock and Friedman Grand Sport book. Thats John Mecom (left) and a young Roger Penske (right). Most likely pleased to have the racer back on dry land. 

2v2Eg8FM9xAghwd.jpg2v2Eg8FzuxAghwd.jpg2v2Egj4YoxAghwd.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This has certainly been an experience, putting this together. Just assembling the parts in the correct order so everything fits is a challenge.

But it will improve the odds on the other car! Up on all four but no final glue just yet.

2v2EGFZQCxAghwd.jpg2v2EGFZbLxAghwd.jpg2v2EGFZ1WxAghwd.jpg