Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram '66 Malibu Street Rat

I remember hearing or reading somewhere that it's something particular. That section on the rear cover that sticks out has to do with the overdrive unit. It aligns with a section on the front of the housing casting. All that notwithstanding, I'm looking for a diff for the Badman I'm fiddling with, and I don't seem to have an abundance of 1/24 scale pieces.

5 minutes ago, Straightliner59 said:

I don't have one of those. I think the axle in the red kit is actually a two-speed axle, odd as that seems. I've driven plenty of lumber trucks with them, but never seen one in a car!

The axle in the red one looks to be the same one posted above. 

http://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/mkiba-build-under-c/monogram-instructions/automotive-cars--pi/chevrolet/1961-1970/monogram-66-malibu-/

3 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

I remember hearing or reading somewhere that it's something particular. That section on the rear cover that sticks out has to do with the overdrive unit. It aligns with a section on the front of the housing casting. All that notwithstanding, I'm looking for a diff for the Badman I'm fiddling with, and I don't seem to have an abundance of 1/24 scale pieces.

It's looks very similar to the 1970 W-30 442 Olds W-27 aluminum differential housing and rear axle cover - it's function was a 27 pound weight reduction - not sure if Monogram was trying to duplicate that or just do something that looks similar   --- 

I have never seen any two speed axles in hot rods, street cars or race cars other than the Halibrand/Frankland quick change style, and you physically have to take off the rear cover and change the gearing in them.

54 minutes ago, Muncie said:

It's looks very similar to the 1970 W-30 442 Olds W-27 aluminum differential housing and rear axle cover - it's function was a 27 pound weight reduction - not sure if Monogram was trying to duplicate that or just do something that looks similar   --- 

I would guess that's the case, I built the Malibu Street Rat back in the day and I think it has to be the Olds W 27 axle.

1 hour ago, alexis said:

Try the Black car then. Two distinctly different Diff. covers. Axle is the same in both cars, diff covers are different.

I have the black kit handy and the axle in it is a Dana 60.

I was wondering what it was, only to decide if I wanted to use it under the Badman I'm working on. Auburn also had a two-speed rear axle. Like I said, I've driven a lot of trucks with two-speeds, but, have discovered they are rare in racing/street car applications. They have infrequently been used, however. Anyway, I discovered a Monogram Talladega in my stash. Can't go too wrong with a Ford 9"!