Model Cars Magazine Forum

251 mph street legal (real)Camaro

NYLIBUD

I hope it's ok to post this in the drag racing section..How about Jeff Lutz's street legal Camaro that runs 6.05 at 251 mph..Go to dragzine.com to see the video.I've got the same chassis and the body from Shapeways.Maybe one day I'll get around to building the car.

IMG_4492.PNG

9 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

Something like this car?I mean this is one bad beast.:lol:.Not sure if it's street legal or not.

IMG_4476.JPG

No, nothing like that backbirth. It looked closer to Project X than it does to that thing. 

You can google-image Jeff Lutz '57 Chevy and find lots of pics of it. 

Lutz had a '57 Chevy that was street legal (actually 2) called the Evil Twin.  He used it to win Drag Week 2014.  Probably easier to build this as a model, due to the stock body.  Need to create the tube chassis and turbo'd big block.

Image result for lutz evil twin

Edited by mvadrag

Nice car

2 hours ago, mvadrag said:

Lutz had a '57 Chevy that was street legal (actually 2) called the Evil Twin.  He used it to win Drag Week 2014.  Probably easier to build this as a model, due to the stock body.  Need to create the tube chassis and turbo'd big block.

Image result for lutz evil twin

20 hours ago, DPNM said:

I root for Monza as I prefer his Camaro over the other cars on the show.

I like Monza. Heartbreaking to see his crash last year, especially right after he'd described what the car meant to him and his son. 

I kinda like most of the cars on the show, but have decided that I'm definitely Team Daddy Dave. I like his whole attitude/vibe (he doesn't seem to take the whole thing too seriously), and I really dig his primered early Nova--definitely my favorite car on the show. 

Fun show, but the drama! :blink: Sometimes I feel like I'm watching Real Housewives of Oklahoma Street Racing. :rolleyes:

Are they racing a full quarter mile, or just an eighth? 

Street Legal...well it depends on where you live...there is no way we could get something like these cars through the car safety inspection and drive it on the roads here in Sweden. :rolleyes:
They wouldn't even let the black 57 Chevy through.

Street Legal means exactly that. Is the car you're driving legal for driving in the area you are in or are going to? Driving from New York to California one would have to cross several states and be legal in ALL of those states. It's really pretty simple. Of course there are a LOT of people on the roads today that think the driving laws are for the other people and not them.

• 2 months later...

HotRod mag has posted the for Drag week a number of times. Four tracks, run your best e.t. then load up and drive to next track over 5 days. Street legal, as far as driving, no towing of cars, trailers allowed pulled by cars. Videos on new MotorTrend app.Many classes lots of opportunity's for modeling!

Walt O'Brien Green Mountains of Vermont {get it Ver=green mont=mountains} home sweet home

Those red headlights may not be street legal, but they are installed on street driven cars. I saw one at about sunset the other day. It was very disorienting seeing a pair of "brakelights" approaching at 35-40 mph. The entire headlight was red, not some ring or partial color - there was no white at all.

• 4 months later...

I know this is old, sorry. The Drag week rules state it must be legal, licensed and insured in the state where the owner is from or where the car is registered. It doesnt have to be legal in every state. Its just like if I drive to Virginia, I dont have to pass the smog tests, as long as my car is legal and licensed in my state, which is Tennessee. There are exceptions, of course, but some states are more lenient, and some are not. There are also standard DOT rules that every state must comply with.

As for the lights, it has to be legal for the year it is registered for, in this case either a 68 (it is modeled after a 68 Camaro) or a kit car. The red lights are rings around the actual headlight, usually called "Halos". New cars such as the Hellcat come with these "halos" already as daytime running lights, but in a different color. They probably double as blinkers also. And they can be color changing, so the red is just for the photoshoot. Im sure he knows he cant run red lights on the street.

I recently got to go to attend 2 days of the dragweek. It was crazy. If you havent seen these cars in person, go and see them. They are capable of running 6s at over 200 mph, and they do drive them almost 200+ miles a day between races, in the rain and park them wherever they want. They are street legal, and dependable, and are required to run a very specific and punishing route between races. You wouldnt want to drive them daily, of course, and they arent legal everywhere. But they are amazing feats of engineering. 

Personally I dont like the Camaro as much as the yellow 57. I prefer steel "door" cars. The promods are ridiculous.