Model Cars Magazine Forum

2019 Cannonball run ideas

Tim H

I need some clarification on rule 8.1.4, No changing of the engine make or configuration. The make part is pretty clear, it's the configuration part I want to pin down. Are they just talking about the number or layout of the cylinders or the total setup of the engine from the intake on out? Can we add multiple carbs or a supercharger or turbo as long as we keep a stock type engine or do we have to keep the stock style intake?

That's a good question. By configuration means the engine must be set up just the way it could have been in 19XX but not necessarily stock. If aftermarket speed equipment A and B was available then, it should be good to go. 

Basically you are restricted to the technology of the year of the car you are driving. 

Remember gang this is a rally that will be driven mostly OFF the paved roads. Horsepower good, torque better. At nearly 15000 miles, in 33 days thats nearly 500 miles per day. Mileage matters. Weight matters. If you are driving a '68 Dart would you choose a 426? A 360? A 225? 

Rob, that dart would have a 2.2 turbo. LOL. I would go with the leaning tower of power, 225. MMMMM let me think. 62 Chevy II with the iron duke 4cyl.

Lots of ideas flowing for both. but the problem is going from the brain to the hands to the table.

Tim

I think the other challenge in this is going to be in the section 9 rules.  Seatbelts, roll bars, tow ropes, two spare tires, spare parts, tent, sleeping bags for all crew and plastic sheeting or drip trays.  Getting all this stuff in a model is going to challenge most of the modelers.  There is plenty of this stuff in armor scale, but precious little in 1:24 scale.  it is going to be fun seeing how non-military builders learn how to do this.  I am included in that group, so it is going to be fun. 

1 hour ago, Pete J. said:

I think the other challenge in this is going to be in the section 9 rules.  Seatbelts, roll bars, tow ropes, two spare tires, spare parts, tent, sleeping bags for all crew and plastic sheeting or drip trays.  Getting all this stuff in a model is going to challenge most of the modelers.  There is plenty of this stuff in armor scale, but precious little in 1:24 scale.  it is going to be fun seeing how non-military builders learn how to do this.  I am included in that group, so it is going to be fun. 

Sorry to burst your bubble but a lot of that stuff will not be required. I'm editing the requirements to reflect model cars. Of course it's optional to build those, but I'm not going to require it for the CBP. I'll be posting the official build thread tomorrow, stay tuned for the full rules.

Playing catch up here, but does the entry for the P2P have to be an actual past entry or just follow the rules (ie a fictional entry?) Does it have to be from the P2P race only or could it be a car that participated in another of this vintage cross country type rally races? I ask cause I have a build project in mine but the car didnt actually participate in the P2P it was one of the African races.

Love the idea by the way.

6 hours ago, Jantrix said:

Sorry to burst your bubble but a lot of that stuff will not be required. I'm editing the requirements to reflect model cars. Of course it's optional to build those, but I'm not going to require it for the CBP. I'll be posting the official build thread tomorrow, stay tuned for the full rules.

I honestly wish you would reconsider that part of the build.  The P2P is all about the trip and hauling your stuff to get there.  Every car looks like a family campout gone bad!  I think we need to have some of the flavor of a cross country endurance race.  Perhaps it doesn't have to have it all, but I think it would be fun to see what the builders come up with.  Maybe just carry the two spare tires and sleeping bags as a minimum.  Just my thoughts. 

7 hours ago, Jhedir6 said:

Playing catch up here, but does the entry for the P2P have to be an actual past entry or just follow the rules (ie a fictional entry?) Does it have to be from the P2P race only or could it be a car that participated in another of this vintage cross country type rally races? I ask cause I have a build project in mine but the car didnt actually participate in the P2P it was one of the African races.

Love the idea by the way.

As long as your entry follows the rules that are forthcoming it will be fine, it doesn't have to be a replica of an actual car that competed in the race.

2 hours ago, Pete J. said:

I honestly wish you would reconsider that part of the build.  The P2P is all about the trip and hauling your stuff to get there.  Every car looks like a family campout gone bad!  I think we need to have some of the flavor of a cross country endurance race.  Perhaps it doesn't have to have it all, but I think it would be fun to see what the builders come up with.  Maybe just carry the two spare tires and sleeping bags as a minimum.  Just my thoughts. 

I agree Pete, I was already thinking of all the supplies I'd like to have on hand and what kind of car would allow me to carry the minimum of extra junk.

25 minutes ago, Fat Brian said:

As long as your entry follows the rules that are forthcoming it will be fine, it doesn't have to be a replica of an actual car that competed in the race.

I agree Pete, I was already thinking of all the supplies I'd like to have on hand and what kind of car would allow me to carry the minimum of extra junk.

Thanks Brian. I figured but thought I'd ask. Another question tho..are we doing #entries? are we doing decals to show the entry#s? would they be assigned or can we just pick a number? I plan on doing decals on mine, the P2P banner and name plates and flags, as seen on  the actual participant cars.

4 hours ago, Jhedir6 said:

Thanks Brian. I figured but thought I'd ask. Another question tho..are we doing #entries? are we doing decals to show the entry#s? would they be assigned or can we just pick a number? I plan on doing decals on mine, the P2P banner and name plates and flags, as seen on  the actual participant cars.

I'll leave all that for Rob to answer, I don't want to talk out of turn.

For the years after 2019: wouldn't something like a SEMA show-theme be an idea? 

Like the real builders: coming up with nu trends, products and solutions. Thrashing to be in time for day 1?

Or any other big show like it?

Or maybe a Good-guys meet in scale?

Edited by matthijsgrit

14 minutes ago, matthijsgrit said:

For the years after 2019: wouldn't something like a SEMA show-theme be an idea? 

Like the real builders: coming up with nu trends, products and solutions. Thrashing to be in time for day 1?

Or any other big show like it?

Or maybe a Good-guys meet in scale?

For the year after, I plan to do our usual public choice to determine the theme, so I would definitly think your idea has some merit. We'll see.

9 hours ago, Jhedir6 said:

Not a bad idea.  I was thinking that I would do mine as if I were the participant.  Done that with other cars before.  The rules for the real deal assigned numbers that must be on a rondel on the door panels.  I spent good money on a circle cutter that I have never used.  This could be a great excuse to get it out of the drawer. It we get to choose our own number I call dibs on "42" - the answer to life, the universe and everything!

Have some questions to the rules of the Cannonball CBP.

I would like to challenge this CBP too but my entry (Revell 55 Ford Panel Truck) would be already started. It´s a long time project and the CBP would give me the energy to finish it earlier than in five years or so.

Did some bodywork already but the rest are still seperate parts.

Next question is can I do it as a Custom including engine and wheels swap and other things (cage, fuel cell, suspension, etc.)?

Thank you in advance.

Rico

Rico, there are no limits to the modifications for the Cannonball. Per historical Cannonball rules, a model less than 25% complete can be entered. Please check THIS years Cannonball rules, they don't change much year to year. Looking forward to seeing the model.

We did a Brock Yates memorial run a couple of years ago, back when he passed. However please feel free to suggest this next year in the next thread like this one. Next year I'll gather up the suggested themes, pick the 5 that have the most support and I'll create a poll and we'll vote on it. I think yours is a fine idea.

On 11/2/2018 at 1:26 PM, Jantrix said:

We did a Brock Yates memorial run a couple of years ago, back when he passed. However please feel free to suggest this next year in the next thread like this one. Next year I'll gather up the suggested themes, pick the 5 that have the most support and I'll create a poll and we'll vote on it. I think yours is a fine idea.

That would be cool.