Model Cars Magazine Forum

How to sell on ebay?

Hello,

I've been dealing with eBay for almost 20 years, but mostly as a buyer.  I sold a couple of kits and a book over 15 years ago in the money order days  before Paypal.   Looking into my stash I have a few things I know I'll never build like some armor, a duplicate or two,  and a couple car kits I have no idea why I got them in the first place.   So I want to try selling them. There are no swap meets or clubs around here and it is only a few things, not a huge pile. My biggest question is figuring out shipping and terms.  I'm looking at similar items and trying to come up with a trend.   Any hints on how to sell on ebay?  This will help clear some space and fund more paint, more tools and more Corvette and Ferrari kits I'll never get to build :)

Thanks,

I haven't sold on eBay for a few years now, not that i had any problems, but with eBay fees, and you're forced to use PayPal as a payment option, you're charged PayPal fees on top of the eBay fees, are you on Facebook ? Last time i had a clean out of the stash earlier this year, I listed them on Facebook marketplace and also joined a few groups on Facebook set up to buy and sell plastic kits, works a lot cheaper in the long run.

I don't sell on Ebay much anymore.  When I do, I list them as a buy it now with free shipping.  Tack another ten or fifteen bucks on the pricetag.  One of my resin kits generally posts for around $5.50 to most USA addresses.  There will be other fees that will come back and bite you in the end too.  Paypal might want some money and Ebay might want some too.  Don't sell yourself short.

Charge shipping.  eBay will lean on you for free shipping but it sucks if you have to pay for return shipping.  It's a given that buyers add the shipping to the price when they decide whether to buy so it's a wash anyway.

The best way to figure shipping is to acquire a cheap scale and weigh the actual box, packaging and model that you intend to ship. Don't forget any packing you'll put in the model box to eliminate breakage. My wife has sold a couple thousand items on eBay and she charges 25 cents more than actual cost and states so in the description. Personally I don't buy from people who try to stiff me with inflated shipping because it's just annoying. eBay charges the same 9% fee on the sale price AND the shipping charge so there is no benefit to charging anything but actual cost for shipping.

Often the box will fit in a USPS flat rate box, which makes shipping easy to figure.

You don't have to use PayPal, but most sellers require it, because it ensures guaranteed payment with no hassle. The fee is 30 cents plus 3% of the transaction. Well worth the peace of mind, IMHO.

Think of all the little things that you like as a buyer. Do those things. Do it right and you will enjoy it more.

The best way to approach selling on eBay is not to get hung up on getting every last cent out of the transaction. Does it really matter if you only received $26.24 for a $30 sale, or if shipping wound up costing 35 cents more than you estimated? Don't suck the fun out of it, selling on eBay can be a lot of fun.

Some of you may have missed the fact that Ismael is in Puerto Rico, so his shipping charges will likely be more. I agree that to save fees, selling on Facebook seems to be a cheaper alternative but with likely less potential buyers. I have yet to buy off of Facebook but it seems to have a lot of activity so could be my new source for kits!

I've sold a good part of my collection recently on Ebay and will continue to do so, yes the fees for Ebay and Paypal end up being between 18-20% when all said and done, but I've found CL users mostly have garage sale mentality and want to offer little to nothing for items, cant comment on FB I'm not on it, as far as pricing I look at completed auctions and come up an average that a kit sells for and that's my starting price, for shipping I use Priority mail, order free boxes online and recycle newspaper for packing, I've never had a shipping problem, printing your labels from Ebay saves a little money, and when listing an item there's a section to enter package information and it calculates the shipping rate for you which is displayed for the buyer based on location, its always been accurate for me, its all very simple and streamlined

Edited by 440 Dakota

[...] This will help clear some space and fund more paint, more tools and more Corvette and Ferrari kits I'll never get to build []  Yea, that sounds like an awesome excuse, I'm with you!  :rolleyes:

I've been wondering about this too, thanks for asking.  I've sold and bought off the Facebook Model Car Marketplace, so far so good.  I've made educated guesses on shipping, sometimes I'm shocked how much it is.  I also prefer PayPal, sometimes do the 'friend' to avoid the fee.

i was going to post up about the fees, but it seems someone else already did. what i will say, it up charge the shipping a bit. they charge you fees on the shipping twice. first for the sell fee and then the paypal fee. if something is going to cost me 5 dollars to ship, i will charge 8 or 9, assuming you already have boxes and tape. if you need to buy that, then you should charge for that too. 

i would check out amazon. i havent used it myself to sell, but i heard the fees are much, much lower.