Model Cars Magazine Forum

'70.5 Baldwin Motion Camaro

THORDOOR220

This is going to be a fun little build. It's AMT's phase III camaro. It'll be dark blue with silver stripes, the baldwin motion body kit, and I'm thinking I'll fuel inject the 454. Maybe supercharge it, too. We'll see. Got these wheels at a local hobby shop for another model, but it turns out that the other model is 1/24 scale and too big for these, but they'll work well here. Also have drilled disc brakes for all corners as well. Probably going to have factory interior otherwise. Keep it looking simple and old school with a slight modern touch. Sorry for the dark picture. As always, comments/suggestions are welcome.

1.JPG

Edited by THORDOOR220

• 2 weeks later...

Found a little time to work on this today. Working on a tubular front end and the front suspension. I wanted working suspension, and so far so good. Need to replicate on the other side, and make a spindle yet. The kit one is there just for temporary mock up. Also, mind the pliers, they were used to push the spring down so the spindle stayed in place.

1.JPG

2.JPG

1 hour ago, 66belair said:

The wheels will definitely look good on that ride.

I hope so. They're a little smaller diameter than I'd like, but it looks as though I might already have to modify the front tubs (is that the right word? I'm not thinking so) to make it sit as low as I want. Assuming my suspension setup allows it. Why didn't you finish?

On 11/5/2018 at 8:15 PM, tkzwolf said:

That suspension is impressive.

Thank you. It's going to take a little more work to get it where I want it, but I'll get it there. Still need to figure out how to get more precise with the rods that the parts pivot on though, I have photoetched nuts, bolt heads, and washers I'd like to use on those for a little added realism. Overkill, no doubt, but should be cool.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally found some time for this. I made the other lower control arm, and remade the upper. The other side upper was giving me issues, so I took a break and moved to interior. Looking at other cars online, I decided to go with custom interior for this. Custom dash and console, no backseat, couple subs, roll bar, and I've got some seats on the way. Here's where I'm at. Still rough, but getting there. Also cut the doors off the car, I'll have to hinge those. As always, comments/questions are welcome.

IMG_4577.JPG

IMG_4578.JPG

Edited by THORDOOR220

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys, it's my favorite too (although I'm a ford guy, believe it or not, so I suppose I would be a bit picky about camaros wouldn't I?). Just got my parts from shapeways, so going to do a little bit of work with the motor tonight. Still need some pe stuff though. It's slow going, but should be pretty cool when it's done

7 hours ago, THORDOOR220 said:

Thanks guys, it's my favorite too (although I'm a ford guy, believe it or not, so I suppose I would be a bit picky about camaros wouldn't I?). Just got my parts from shapeways, so going to do a little bit of work with the motor tonight. Still need some pe stuff though. It's slow going, but should be pretty cool when it's done

Cant wait to see more!!!

20 hours ago, THORDOOR220 said:

I'm not sure how much time I'll have for modeling for a little while. Got in a car accident this morning, totaled my Saleen. I'll get to modeling when I can, but I need to find a another car first.

Hope you're okay!,  I will be patiently waiting for your return...

Thanks guys. Bought a 2002 GT convertible yesterday, swapping over all the saleen stuff. Should be cool, just work.

As far as the model goes, I’ve had some time today. Little engine work. Got the alternator bracket made earlier, just hadn’t posted it yet. That’s a 6-71 blower, thought it would be a cool center piece, if you will. Still need to make a positive cable for the alternator (well, I already made one in truth, but I lost it), then I’ll mount it to the head and do the belt. You might notice I started using scale Motorsport bolt heads here and there (I think only one on the alternator bracket is visible in the picture). Those things are a pita to use, but they look pretty good once they’re on there.

34A8239F-71D2-44BA-BDF0-8590B065A512.jpeg

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 10:52 PM, THORDOOR220 said:

Thanks guys. Bought a 2002 GT convertible yesterday, swapping over all the saleen stuff. Should be cool, just work.

As far as the model goes, I’ve had some time today. Little engine work. Got the alternator bracket made earlier, just hadn’t posted it yet. That’s a 6-71 blower, thought it would be a cool center piece, if you will. Still need to make a positive cable for the alternator (well, I already made one in truth, but I lost it), then I’ll mount it to the head and do the belt. You might notice I started using scale Motorsport bolt heads here and there (I think only one on the alternator bracket is visible in the picture). Those things are a pita to use, but they look pretty good once they’re on there.

34A8239F-71D2-44BA-BDF0-8590B065A512.jpeg

Nice!!