Model Cars Magazine Forum

1972 Ford F100 Sport Custom Is Completed

My new project is the Moebius '72 Ford Sport Custom pickup.  The cab in this kit was badly warped and I had sent away for a new one.  I also have the Moebius '71 Ford Ranger pickup and I tried to get a new cab for that one and Moebius said I would have to buy the cab from them for a replacement.  If and when I do decide to build the '71 Ranger, I'll decide further if the cab is fixable.  I am going for a two-tone paint scheme on this one.  Testors Pearl Dark Green and Testors One Coat Lacquer White Lightning.  The kit wheels don't look right to me with a really wide rim to spoke spacing, so I am using a set of Pegasus Hellas and Holli's (19 " and 23") wheels and low profile tires.  I'll have to shorten the rear axle to keep the wheels and tires under the fender.  The hood fit is terrible and I have been trying to reshape the hood.  The frame is partially assembled and almost ready for paint.  The engine is partially assembled and will need plug holes drilled into the heads for leads from the MAD prewired distributor.

More to come...

F10001.JPG

F10002.JPG

F10003.JPG

Edited by mrmike

Before turning in last night, I tried to take the bow out of the hood by pushing the center of the hood down with no luck.  I tried a different approach by spreading the hood sides with my fingers.  This took out a lot of the bow, so I'll try this after running the hood under hot water, spreading the hood sides again and then running it under cold water.  I had painted the engine a week ago and gave it another coat last night.  I still need to drill my plug holes.
More to come...

F10006.JPG

F10005.JPG

F10004.JPG

Edited by mrmike

In order to keep the wide wheels and tires within the rear fenders, I had to shorten the rear axle.  Just needed a little careful measuring and cutting.  I made some pins from 1/16" rod and superglued them into the wheels.  I have some Pegasus 19" disc brakes to paint up and add to the wheels.  I'll be adding ignition wiring so I drilled out the cylinder heads.  These heads look different from the 302 cylinder heads that I normally see online.  So I guesstimated where the plug holes should be.

More to come...

F10007.JPG

F10008.JPG

F10009.JPG

Last night I assembled the front and rear suspensions.  This morning I added the wheels and tires to the suspensions and mocked up the body to check the stance and I didn't like it.  The front wheels stuck out and the nose was too high.    I decided to cut off the spindles and raise them higher on the I Beam.  Another mocked up and this is much better!  An old style rake that I really like and the wheels and tires are tucked in under the fenders!  Now to clean up the modification I just made.

More to come...

F10010.JPG

F10011.JPG

F10012.JPG

Thanks Curtis!   I just love an old school rake!  Get the nose down and the butt up in the air!  While the current trend is to "lay frame" or lower the entire vehicle, it does become an issue in a parking lot with speed bumps, or as they say in Texas...armadillos! :D

I worked on the F-100 yesterday afternoon and I started to think about the colors I have chosen.  They may be fine for a stock F-100, but this is more of a modified truck.  These are my colors now...Dupli-Color Forest Green Pearl for the roof and lower body and Tamiya TS-42 Light Gun Metal for the hood and upper fenders, bed, and tailgate.  I finished wiring the engine and building the chassis.  The engine is wired in the correct firing order.

More to come...

F10013.JPG

F10014.JPG

F10015.JPG

Edited by mrmike

I painted the bench seat this afternoon.  Tamiya TS-48 Gunship Grey and Polly Scale So. Sylvan Green.  I like the color combination!  While the paintbooth was up and running, I painted the floor with Tamiya TS-48 Gunship Grey and the rest of the interior panels with Dupli-Color Forest Green Pearl.  The body, hood, and bed was primed and tossed into the dehydrator for four hours.  I will masked the body and paint the two-tone color combination of Dupli-Color Forest Green Pearl and Tamiya TS-42 Light Gun Metal.

More to come...

F10016.JPG

F10017.JPG

F10018.JPG

A little more work done on the Sport Custom today.  The dash and the steering wheel was painted, detailed, and decaled.  The side panels were painted in Forest Green Pearl and Gunship Grey.  I started assembly of the interior, but stopped so I can add the seat belts without any obstructions.

More to come...

F10019.JPG

F10020.JPG

F10021.JPG

This was an hour of masking the cab and the bed.  I hope it was worth it!  This was three mist coats and 1 wet coat of Tamiya TS-42 Light Gun Metal all in about 25 minutes.  Into the dehydrator and when this is dry, I'll re-mask and shoot the Dupli-Color Forest Green Pearl.

More to come...

F10022.JPG

F10023.JPG

F10024.JPG

I painted the second color on the F-100 yesterday and then threw the cab and bed into the dehydrator for five hours..  I may have painted the roof a little too heavily to start with as there is a line down the center of the roof.  The plastic may have crazed a bit, so wet sanding is in order here.

More to come...

F10025.JPG

F10026.JPG

F10027.JPG

Well, enough of the wetsanding and polishing.  I used my hand to block the reflection of the background so I could show you the line on the roof.  I think this is where the plastic joined after filling the mold.  Now it's back into the paintbooth for another coat of paint that I hope will cover the line and the high spots where the paint was sanded and polished.  I unmasked the bed and other than the white line along the top of the tailgate emblem, it came out good!  Hopefully, a fine paintbrush and some Tamiya Light Gun Metal will take care of that white line.  Other than seat belts, the interior is done.

More to come...

F10028.JPG

F10029.JPG

F10030.JPG

Thanks Keith!  I am hoping for the same result with mine after all the sanding and polishing I've done.  It looks like where the plastic had joined itself after filling the mold and maybe not enough plastic was pushed into the mold.  I don't know if that was the issue and I am not an expert on mold filling.

I fired up the paintbooth this morning and added another coat of Dupli-Color Forest Green Pearl to the roof.  Because of the humidity, the paint blushed on part of the roof, but that polished out by rubbing a terrycloth towel on it.  The join line on the roof is barely visible, but once I add several coats of gloss clear to the body, it'll probably come back.  When you consider all the problems I have had with these Moebius kits, I don't think I'll be buying anymore.  I do have other Moebius kits in the stash, but I'll build them when I want to and it'll be a while before I do.  Moebius has a long way to go before they can be considered a good kit manufacturer by me.  Right now, they are way down on the list!  I removed the tape and mockup the body with the interior, chassis, and bed.  Looks good so far, but it has been a lot of extra work!

More to come...

F10031.JPG

F10032.JPG

F10033.JPG

Edited by mrmike