Model Cars Magazine Forum

eCOPO Camaro Concept

1 hour ago, peter31a said:

For the drive from here to NNL East the 40 minute charge time would probably add over 2 hours to the trip whereas Hydrogen that fills as fast (or almost) as fast as a gasoline car would not. Don't need to add 2 hours on an already 12 hour trip.  To each his own.

How far is the drive?  The Tesla Models S, X, 3 as well as the Chevy Bolt all will run over 200 miles on a charge,  unless you iron hide a drive with just short bathroom breaks and no food stops that aren't vending machine offerings or drive through fast food to eat on the go, and decide to screw your leg health in doing so when you aren't stopped for fuel, it couldn't take much longer to charge and you can multitask with with a charge stop. I just don't see how a hydrogen fuel cell isn't a waste of funds to develop and and waste of energy to produce, and that's even if you can overcome the gas seepage from the tanks, plus you have all the weight of the fuel cells and gas tanks vs a battery pack that can be placed low in the chassis in a way that helps handling, much like that does in the Teslas, Bolt, Volt, and Leaf. In cases like this Camaro, the weight is placed where it would work on a drag car, which is by the rear axle, to get the car hook with all of that right now torque available.

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

When I read about this, I wonder how long before people start digging up all those old slot car books for tips on how to get more power out of their electric dragsters?

|At this point, that too is antiquated tech! This will likely have more in common with a modern brushless R/C car than any slot car, hobby wise.....it'll also have more in common with diesel locomotives than slot cars as well!

I welcome the change. I think the eCOPO is truly beautiful along with its gas companion. This is what gets me excited about electric vehicles. The bolt doesn’t do much for me. It’s cool and all but just doesn’t get me excited. The Tesla does (aside from Elon, a topic for another day) but they are good looking and look like hoot. And the Audi e-Tron is also exciting! I think this is the way to get people more on board. 

2 hours ago, Greg Myers said:

Wonder if they'll have to switch cars half way down the track like the F1 cars do :wacko:

Formula E no longer has to do that either, their new cars can go a whole race on one charge and run quicker lap times too! Apparently they also have to run an entire season with just one battery per car, should be interesting to see how the gen 2 cars work out.

1 hour ago, NYLIBUD said:

Cool video,thanks.I love these cars.Saw a black one up close at a car show.It blew me away.Very cool cars...But I still like the Demon a little better,being a Mopar guy.

I'd probably go for a Demon over any COPO, CJ, or Drag Pack, just due to the fact that it can be registered for street use. That said though, that eCOPO set up in anything light like a backhalfed 2dr Caviler or Cobalt, or even 2wd XJ with a Gasser like stance would be mindblowing and fun.

1 hour ago, Joe Handley said:

I'd probably go for a Demon over any COPO, CJ, or Drag Pack, just due to the fact that it can be registered for street use. That said though, that eCOPO set up in anything light like a backhalfed 2dr Caviler or Cobalt, or even 2wd XJ with a Gasser like stance would be mindblowing and fun.

GM has teased the possibility of selling just the motor and the battery.  Time will tell if this becomes the small block Chevy of the 21st Century.

11 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

GM has teased the possibility of selling just the motor and the battery.  Time will tell if this becomes the small block Chevy of the 21st Century.

I would like to see how it works out, this would be great for a variety of racetracks surrounded by NIMBYs and even street racers since the noise is greatly reduced.

Bleh... electrics. I'm sure one is in my future at some point, unless I die instead of adapting. The whole thing just is boring to me. I like the sound of cars, the first time I heard a 911 I was hooked. The first time I heard an AMG start I was hooked. The first time I heard a Lamborghini V10 I was hooked. The first time I heard a Ferrari V12 I was hooked.   "Oh, you started your Tesla? I'm sorry, that must be very boring to do every day."

I saw an article in the latest Hemmings Muscle Car mag. It caught my attention until I read that was electric. I stopped reading and turned the page...It looks cool, but unless it's powered by a fossil fuel guzzling V8, I'm just not interested. Not even a little bit. :unsure:

Edited by Leonidas

On 2019-02-04 at 9:02 PM, Ich_Will said:

Bleh... electrics. I'm sure one is in my future at some point, unless I die instead of adapting. The whole thing just is boring to me. I like the sound of cars, the first time I heard a 911 I was hooked. The first time I heard an AMG start I was hooked. The first time I heard a Lamborghini V10 I was hooked. The first time I heard a Ferrari V12 I was hooked.   "Oh, you started your Tesla? I'm sorry, that must be very boring to do every day."

:)

I can agree with that, I was hooked the first time I heard an American V8 and it's one of the reasons I'm in this hobby and classic American cars, and the first time I heard or may I say experienced a Top Fuel /Funny Car nitro engine I was hooked for life.
And of course when I hear a WW2 Fighter V12 under full load I get shivers down my spine...so I do like the sound of internal combustion engines.
Lots of performance car makers have a bypass in the exhaust system so the cars gets louder when you use the fun pedal in sport mode...so every car enthusiast must like engine noice.
Electric...well we will for sure most likely go there eventually in some form, not necessarily the form we have today wich I think is a transition to something much better and more user friendly...but if going electric is the future in auto racing I'm out because if the only sound you hear from the cars are from the transmissions a lot of the total experience of racing is lost and I get the same "thrill" as watching a slot car race.

Edited by Force