Model Cars Magazine Forum

THE BEST FORD 427 SOHC

Ace-Garageguy

13 hours ago, David said:

Another Shapeways source for a 3D printed SOHC is TDR Innovations.

sohc.jpg

This appears to be larger than 1/25 scale. What scale is it? Bill specifically mentioned 1/24-1/25 scale in the opening post, and while it's great to have options, showing a much larger scale engine isn't helpful as details get lost and become less crisp as the scale decreases by a factor of two and print resolution remains the same.

Does anyone have images of a 1/25 or 1/24 scale 427 SOHC from TDR? Primed or coated with something opaque would be idea, as it's near impossible to make out any details when the printed product is translucent. The spark plug indentations on the TDR valve covers look a bit too large and too rounded, but it's hard to tell from one pic. I'm fine a valve cover being a bit too squared off at the exterior corners, as material can always be removed as necessary, but having to thin the raised ribs, correct the Ford oval script, or fixing other similar intricate details like that is a deal killer IMHO. I think the TDR valve cover and timing chain cover look very good, and possibly the best yet, but Id like to see the parts in 1/25 scale. I suspect the printed texture would be an issue, too, even at the highest resolution available from Shapeways.

The 3D Specialties valve covers look to much like a truncated pyramid to my eyes, and that's something which can't be corrected by the customer.

44 minutes ago, Casey said:

This appears to be larger than 1/25 scale. What scale is it? Bill specifically mentioned 1/24-1/25 scale in the opening post, and while it's great to have options, showing a much larger scale engine isn't helpful as details get lost and become less crisp as the scale decreases by a factor of two and print resolution remains the same.

Does anyone have images of a 1/25 or 1/24 scale 427 SOHC from TDR? Primed or coated with something opaque would be idea, as it's near impossible to make out any details when the printed product is translucent. The spark plug indentations on the TDR valve covers look a bit too large and too rounded, but it's hard to tell from one pic. I'm fine a valve cover being a bit too squared off at the exterior corners, as material can always be removed as necessary, but having to thin the raised ribs, correct the Ford oval script, or fixing other similar intricate details like that is a deal killer IMHO. I think the TDR valve cover and timing chain cover look very good, and possibly the best yet, but Id like to see the parts in 1/25 scale. I suspect the printed texture would be an issue, too, even at the highest resolution available from Shapeways.

The 3D Specialties valve covers look to much like a truncated pyramid to my eyes, and that's something which can't be corrected by the customer.

It is the header photo from the Ford 427 SOHC section of the Ford Engine Selection page of their website and appears to be an early print since the oil pan is incorrect and not all of the parts are included.  The print scale is not indicated.  I only posted it to show an example of a printed engine not to put if forward as 1/24th or 1/25th scale so I apologize for any confusion I may have caused.  I have a 1/25th printed scale engine but it is not painted.

5 minutes ago, David said:

It is the header photo from the Ford 427 SOHC section of the Ford Engine Selection page of their website and appears to be an early print since the oil pan is incorrect and not all of the parts are included.  The print scale is not indicated.  I only posted it to show an example of a printed engine not to put if forward as 1/24th or 1/25th scale so I apologize for any confusion I may have caused.  I have a 1/25th printed scale engine but it is not painted.

No, all good, David. I'd be interested in seeing a pic or four after you get some paint on the engine you have, just to see how the details translate to 1/25 scale.

$50 is a significant chunk of change for an engine, but if 95% of the details are correct, I would have no problem paying that for an accurate replica.

4 hours ago, Casey said:

...$50 is a significant chunk of change for an engine, but if 95% of the details are correct, I would have no problem paying that for an accurate replica.

No argument here. It's not like anybody is going to put a lot of cammers in cars; well, I wouldn't, anyway. Anything I'd want one of these for would be something pretty special, and by the time you buy a couple of kits to scrounge bits from, and factor in all the time it takes to fit everything together into a coherent whole...$50 seems like a sweet deal.

On 1/8/2019 at 7:57 PM, afx said:

With some effort the high rise manifold from the Revell T-bolt could be made to fit the Moebius block.  The T-Bolt engine is a 427 wedge but the port spacing looks close enough, at least for me it is.

I'm using that manifold as well on top of the printed block.

O.K., possibly a bit off-topic, but I thought some of you might like to see what's under the front cover. The last one of these I did for a customer was an all-aluminum aftermarket block and heads. The lower timing chain set was replaced with a gear drive, but the cam drive is chain , as was the factory set-up. Ford did quite a job of engineering, considering they designed it in 90 days. Awesome then, still awesome today.

IMG_3286.jpg

IMG_3287.jpg

Edited by spike morelli
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, afx said:

I for one always enjoy seeing pictures of the real deal.  Any more photos Spike?

Agreed. And man, Spike. I envy you getting your hands in those engines. I've seen a few over the years, but to date have never laid a wrench on one. Love the big fat cam lobes on that one too. What's the duration on that thing?  And do all of 'em have roller followers?  :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

1 hour ago, absmiami said:

super photos, JC

I have not read the whole thread

wasn't there an AMT or Revell Parts pack 427 engine ???  would be 1/25 th  ...

Thanks Andy, yes Revell did a nice parts pack 427 as Bill showed in his early posts.  However It's a Wedge in lieu of the SOHC.

DSCN1109.thumb.JPG.54cae45176f7bcf71d390c51cc6c0608.JPG

Edited by afx
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, afx said:

I for one always enjoy seeing pictures of the real deal.  Any more photos Spike?

I haven't taken many photos of Cammers I've been fortunate enough to work on, but the first 3 photos here are my work. I've included 3 other photos of carbureted, injected, and blown/injected versions taken off the internet for reference.

Now, I was told by one of the engine's owners that the finned cam covers were all magnesium, originally from Ford. Most Cammers you see today have the aftermarket replacement aluminum cam covers ( rocker covers )installed. It makes no difference to me, as an engine builder, but seeing as this is a modeling site, for authenticities sakes, if a person wasn't modeling the polished look, painting the cam covers to replicate magnesium might be a more "from the Factory" look. Note that Ford installed the Holley carbs with the primaries to the rear ( same for wedge 427 8v factory set ups), and note the cannister style fuel filter mounted to the front center of the engine on the chain cover, on the carbed vershion, which came either black painted, or chromed.

Now, you might get the impression that I'm a "Ford guy" True, but not completely accurate. Besides building engines for a living, I'm a hot boat guy, and have one boat with a Nascar 406 Ford for power, another with an injected/blown 392 Chrysler Hemi on gas, and yet a third boat powered by two 327 Chevys, "freight trained" inline and Hilborn injected on nitro/methanol. I like them all. 

IMG_3293.jpg

IMG_3282.jpg

IMG_3285.jpg

1969-Ford-mustang-SOHC-engine-bay.jpg

afx2-vi.jpg

Snake's Cammer.jpg

Edited by spike morelli
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, spike morelli said:

Now, you might get the impression that I'm a "Ford guy" True, but not completely accurate. Besides building engines for a living, I'm a hot boat guy, and have one boat with a Nascar 406 Ford for power, another with an injected/blown 392 Chrysler Hemi on gas, and yet a third boat powered by two 327 Chevys, "freight trained" inline and Hilborn injected on nitro/methanol. I like them all. 

Spike would love to see some photos of your hot boats.  You could post photos under the 1:1 Reference Pictures section

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/forum/14-11-car-reference-pictures/

Edited by afx

On 1/10/2019 at 10:57 AM, afx said:

Can you post some photos?

No prob.

It's not on the bench yet so I haven't primed the parts yet.

The first pic shows how high it would sit. Pic 2 is the rear shot, 

As you can see from the 3rd pic, the distributor hole is in the wrong place. That will need to be reworked.

I included the 1:1 pic to show how the manifold sits lower than the valve cover as does the TB manifold

Manifold Mockup 2.jpg

Manifold Mock-up 3.jpg

Manifold Mock-up 1.jpg

SOHC Manifold to Head Pic.jpg

• Like 1

I want to sincerely thank EVERYONE who's posted here. Because of your enthusiasm and participation, this has morphed into one of the most relevant information-packed threads I've seen, and should go a long way towards helping anyone to build the most accurate-appearing Ford SOHC possible.

And frankly, I still think the T'rantula-sourced cam covers get the look closest, especially on the scalloped lower edge.

When I built my 66 Fairlane, I used the Revell Thunderbolt block, water pump, belt, and 4 speed, the 33 Willys heads, valve covers, and front cover, the AMT Fairlane 427 intake, carbs, and air cleaner. The valve covers were stripped of chrome,  and sprayed with Testors Fabric Grey. Then i used the breathers from the AMT 66 Galaxie reissue. The cast header manifolds from the AMT 60 Starliner were modified to fit. Not correct but i wasnt trying to build headers.

0623172003.jpg

0623172002c.jpg

• Like 1