Model Cars Magazine Forum

TruWire motorcycle style wire wheels

Long time MCM board member, master modeler, and all around nice guy, Curt Raitz, has gone into the aftermarket wire wheel  business with his beautiful hand-laced wire wheels. They're the real deal, with stainless wire spokes and machined aluminum rims and hubs. Hence the TruWire brand. The initial offering is for 1/24th & 1/25th scale applications and come in two diameters, .740" and .790", $25.00 USD plus shipping. They are designed to be compatible with most kit dragster motorcycle style front tires. Curt tells me he's also offering them in 1/16th scale for a slightly higher price.

I was able to test both sizes successfully with several different generally available FED kits in my stash (unfortunately I'm so Old Skool that rear-engined dragster are total MIA on my shelves). In general I would say the .740" size is a straightforward fit for most applications. The .790 inchers might require that you do some minor sanding on older, hardened tires. They are gorgeous and I'm sure will take almost any model I use them on to a whole new level. They're ideal not only for the obvious dragster uses, but also for a knockout Fad-T, some vintage applications, and maybe even for motorcycles.

Curt can be reached at miniscurtraitzing, 686 Helen Dr., Hollister, CA 95023. Email is ceraitz@gmail.com.

Truwires-790-740-product-group-shot-web.
Curt-wheel-simichromed.jpg

Edited by Bernard Kron

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 6:55 PM, Bernard Kron said:

Long time MCM board member, master modeler, and all around nice guy, Curt Raitz, has gone into the aftermarket wire wheel  business with his beautiful hand-laced wire wheels. They're the real deal, with stainless wire spokes and machined aluminum rims and hubs. Hence the TruWire brand. The initial offering is for 1/24th & 1/25th scale applications and come in two diameters, .740" and .790", $25.00 USD plus shipping. They are designed to be compatible with most kit dragster motorcycle style front tires. Curt tells me he's also offering them in 1/16th scale for a slightly higher price.

I was able to test both sizes successfully with several different generally available FED kits in my stash (unfortunately I'm so Old Skool that rear-engined dragster are total MIA on my shelves). In general I would say the .740" size is a straightforward fit for most applications. The .790 inchers might require that you do some minor sanding on older, hardened tires. They are gorgeous and I'm sure will take almost any model I use them on to a whole new level. They're ideal not only for the obvious dragster uses, but also for a knockout Fad-T, some vintage applications, and maybe even for motorcycles.

Curt can be reached at miniscurtraitzing, 686 Helen Dr., Hollister, CA 95023. Email is ceraitz@gmail.com.

Truwires-790-740-product-group-shot-web.
Curt-wheel-simichromed.jpg

I just got a few sets from Curt and they are amazing.  Delivered from California to Canada in a week.

On 12/15/2018 at 8:05 PM, curt raitz said:

I'm using .010" wire for the spokes.

That scales out to 1/4" diameter in 1:1 scale. A bit thick for spokes in motorcycle wheels.  I don't' know the exact diameter, but I suspect they will be closer to 1/8" diameter. So 0.005" wire would be more realistic.  I just figured that if one goes through the trouble of making wire wheels (instead of using wheels with plastic spokes, or photo-etched spokes), might  as well go all the way and make them in-scale.

2 hours ago, peteski said:

That scales out to 1/4" diameter in 1:1 scale. A bit thick for spokes in motorcycle wheels.  I don't' know the exact diameter, but I suspect they will be closer to 1/8" diameter. So 0.005" wire would be more realistic.  I just figured that if one goes through the trouble of making wire wheels (instead of using wheels with plastic spokes, or photo-etched spokes), might  as well go all the way and make them in-scale.

I did use the .005" wire initially, but they looked just too small. Similar to using spark plug wires in-scale, they appear to be too small.

47 minutes ago, curt raitz said:

I did use the .005" wire initially, but they looked just too small. Similar to using spark plug wires in-scale, they appear to be too small.

I see. :D  It must be in the eyes of the beholder because as soon as I laid my eyes on the photos of those wire wheels I thought to myself "those spokes look too thick".  Not trying to troll - just giving my opinion.  I wonder is 0.007" wire would be a good compromise?

As far as the spark plug wires go, there are more than one diameter in the 1:1 world.  There are standard factory wires and extra chunky high performance aftermarket wires. If' I'm building a pedestrian factory stock car I use the thinner wires, and for hot-rods I use the thicker stuff.

Edited by peteski