Model Cars Magazine Forum

Removing Nail Polish?

I have a body that some previous owner painted with a thick coat of nail polish. Usually I've removed paint with Mr Muscle, but looks like it's not working for nail polish removal. I've heard about using nail polish remover to remove paint from resin, but would it work on plastic body too? I'm afraid that it will soften or otherwise damage the plastic. Has anyone tried it succesfully? Or if not, what could I use to get rid of the nail polish paint job in order to start rebuilding that thing some day? I definitely don't want to start sanding the paint away....:wacko:

You could try soaking it in Isopropyl Alcohol. Otherwise there are two kinds of nail polish remover in my local drugstore/chemists. One is “hot”, acetone based, which definitely will soften the plastic, but the other skin/environment friendly one won’t, but may still be effective on the nail varnish — or it may not!

NB: both come in plastic bottles: the fact that the hot one doesn’t eat a polythene bottle doesn’t mean it won’t eat a polystyrene kit..

best,

M.

Edited by Matt Bacon

3 minutes ago, peteski said:

Yes, the non-acetone remover should work. But be careful as it might also affect the plastic (just not as aggressively as acetone).

I think it will soften at least some plastics. I use it often to take tampo off of diecasts, but I've learned to keep the stuff away from the windows, or I will have to polish out the crazing. However, I don't know if the clear plastic used in cheap Chinese diecasts is the same as colored styrene used in our kits. DO run a test before you let a body soak in the stuff! B)

When I use nail polish remover I never soak it in the stuff. I use cotton wool balls and q tips and clean one panel at a time  rinsing with soapy water very often to reduce the chances of damage. I only use it for acrylics though. For enamel I use mr muscle oven cleaner as in my experience it is best for removing enamels. I will be checking when I purchase it again to see if its acetone free I've been buying though just to reduce the risk a little more.

I also do the roof first, holding the model upside down so the run off doesn't run over areas yet to be done, then I do the doors so their run off is going over paint rather than plastic, and then I do the front and rear fenders holding the model so that they are the lowest point to keep the nail polish remover from bare plastic as much as possible. You shouldn't need to soak it though, you dont see women soaking their hands to remove polish as it works real fast on acrylics

Edited by stitchdup

99% Isopropyl Alcohol has always worked on any paint, including nail polish, I've thrown  at it without effecting the plastic.

Tamiyas' Plastic Friendly  lacquer thinner is another more expensive alternative which works a treat when you want to remove paint quickly.

https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/finishing/lacquer-thinner-250ml/

Edited by Roncla