Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 65 Chevelle - Butcher job

I recently got a second hand 1/25 Revell 65 Chevelle Z-16, I knew kit was not complete - it was advertised as having a 'replacement resin hood'.

Bad news is this is not the real story, someone has butchered the forward part of the car body, and the "replacement resin hood" is in fact a plastic piece from a different kit altogether, crudely whittled with glass paper and a small folding pen knife ( found in the box!), the 65 grill is nowhere to be seen, and a grill unit from an AMT(?) 64 Malibu/Chevelle included.

Is it actually possible to convert this model to the 64 Chevelle / Malibu ? or should I just accept I've got some more spares. 

Thank you

Dave Green 

You might have better luck taking that 64 grille and seeing how it fits on a 65 El Camino or wagon as that's where it would have come from originally. 

If you're into big projects, you might be able to graft the roof and trunk area of that Malibu to the El Camino to make a Chevelle. But, that's just an idea.

The front ends on the '64 and '65 Chevelle while looking close at first glance are actually very different. The '64 has a much more blunt or flat leading edge to the hood, bumpers and front fenders. The '65 styling changes give the front end a slightly pointed leading edge and the hood has more pronounced character lines. Hard to say what all has been done to the kit without a photo or two. Converting a '65 model to a '64 model Chevelle can be done but it might be easier and neater to just find a basic '64 Chevelle kit and then use the remains of the '65 to detail the chassis and engine. The original AMT '64 Chevelle was a basic Craftsman series and didn't have an opening hood. That could easily be opened and then use the '65 chassis from there. 

35 minutes ago, espo said:

The front ends on the '64 and '65 Chevelle while looking close at first glance are actually very different. The '64 has a much more blunt or flat leading edge to the hood, bumpers and front fenders. The '65 styling changes give the front end a slightly pointed leading edge and the hood has more pronounced character lines. Hard to say what all has been done to the kit without a photo or two. Converting a '65 model to a '64 model Chevelle can be done but it might be easier and neater to just find a basic '64 Chevelle kit and then use the remains of the '65 to detail the chassis and engine. The original AMT '64 Chevelle was a basic Craftsman series and didn't have an opening hood. That could easily be opened and then use the '65 chassis from there. 

To add to what David said,

The area between the wheel openings and front bumper is significantly different. 

I have a '64 wagon with that part broken off the right fender. Was gonna just graft the area on from a '65 wagon or Elky until I noticed the difference. 

The grille can probably be made to fit in the Revell body. Couple years ago I test-fit the custom grille from the AMT '65 Elky or wagon into a Revell body and it was a nearly perfect fit. The AMT '65 bodies were descended from their '64s so it should follow that if you alter the fender tips to '64 shape, the '64 grille SHOULD fit, or be made to do so with minimal tweaking. 

8 hours ago, Snake45 said:

The AMT '65 bodies were descended from their '64s so it should follow that if you alter the fender tips to '64 shape, the '64 grille SHOULD fit, or be made to do so with minimal tweaking. 

Thank You, Snake. My point exactly. 

Edited by Oldcarfan27