Model Cars Magazine Forum

1968 Chevrolet pickup promo prices

Question: I see a 1968 Chevrolet pickup promo for sale, $110 asking price.  It has a nasty crack in a bed side, missing fender logos and gas cap (I can make a gas cap).  I saw a nice one for $185 at a model show.  Would the AMT bed fit ok on this?  Is the price out of line?

68 Chevy promo.jpg

1 hour ago, Mark said:

I'd say $110 is way out of whack for a busted one. 

My first thought too.  If it's supposed to be a "promo" with no damage sitting on a shelf with other promos, then it's junk.  But for building a model, it will require skill to do correctly.

I was also wondering if any resin casters would reproduce this if they got it.

Glue marks (?) on the rear of the box, a crack or hole on the rear of the cab, a piece of white sprue jammed between the cab and bed, and the interior/glass don't appear to be sitting quite right; in addition to the crack/missing emblems.

Yup....$110 is WAY out of whack!

3 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

My first thought too.  If it's supposed to be a "promo" with no damage sitting on a shelf with other promos, then it's junk.  But for building a model, it will require skill to do correctly.

I was also wondering if any resin casters would reproduce this if they got it.

EVERYTHING you'd need to build a truck like that is available from the aftermarket.

'68 grille and fender emblems,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/67-68-Chevy-Resin-Grill-Conversion-for-the-AMT-1972-GMC-Pickup-1-25-CPG678/311761961234?hash=item4896760112:g:8UYAAOSw6DtYVPHp

'68 bumper,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-AMT-MPC-Dated-68-Chevy-Pickup-Resin-Front-Bumper-CPB2F/311761968989?hash=item4896761f5d:g:3BEAAOSwa~BYVPyJ

Someone has the '68 hood in resin, Time Machine maybe?

Add that with the last issue AMT '72 and you pretty well got it except for the side trim. You could recreate the original trim with plastic strips or just build a truck without the side trim. 

AND it'll still cost a lot less than 110 bucks. ;)

[no resin in this one but this will give you an idea what one can look like]

IMG 2305

Edited by Can-Con

On 2/19/2019 at 2:11 PM, Can-Con said:

EVERYTHING you'd need to build a truck like that is available from the aftermarket.

[...]

Someone has the '68 hood in resin, Time Machine maybe?

Add that with the last issue AMT '72 and you pretty well got it except for the side trim. You could recreate the original trim with plastic strips or just build a truck without the side trim. 

AND it'll still cost a lot less than 110 bucks. ;)

[no resin in this one but this will give you an idea what one can look like]

[...]

Time Machine seems to be history.  :(

Thanks for the resin parts.  I have 3 of the AMT kits, so it's doable.  The front of the hood should slant back steeper, and there are individual CHEVROLET letters that should be done.  That's an awesome model there!

On 2/22/2019 at 3:06 AM, 89AKurt said:

Time Machine seems to be history.  :(

Thanks for the resin parts.  I have 3 of the AMT kits, so it's doable.  The front of the hood should slant back steeper, and there are individual CHEVROLET letters that should be done.  That's an awesome model there!

If you mean the hood on my truck, yea, I know it's off a bit and missing the lettering but I figure it's close enough for a custom. It's not resin, I just modified the one from the '72 kit. 

21 hours ago, Can-Con said:

If you mean the hood on my truck, yea, I know it's off a bit and missing the lettering but I figure it's close enough for a custom. It's not resin, I just modified the one from the '72 kit. 

I'm trying to not be critical, really.  I'm my own worst critic.  If I ever get around to building one, would modify the hood.  Finding the letters is the challenge, but custom vehicles usually shave that junk.  The steering wheel is different too, only an issue if built stock.

32 minutes ago, 89AKurt said:

I'm trying to not be critical, really.  I'm my own worst critic.  If I ever get around to building one, would modify the hood.  Finding the letters is the challenge, but custom vehicles usually shave that junk.  The steering wheel is different too, only an issue if built stock.

It's OK. I know it's not quite right. I think if I did it again I'd need to take a slight pie wedge through the hood so it  front drops down a scale inch or two before I angled it back.  

The interior is from the '68 kit so I assumed it's correct.  But then again, close enough for a custom.

IMG 2235

IMG 2237

I took some pictures of my '68, should anyway for the before I blow lots of money shots.  The gauge sizes aren't that accurate, but the AMT isn't really either.  The steering wheel is correct.  I painted the glovebox of my previous '69 that way to, I think it looks balanced.  I have what's left of the one piece bench seat.

IMG_9527_Fotor.jpg

IMG_9529_Fotor.jpg