Model Cars Magazine Forum

Union models Lola T70

Brudda

2 cents ...

the shape of the IMC body is much better than the AMT slot body - particularly the nose

AMT  box art says  1/24th but maybe not  - appears to be about the same dimensions as the IMC

but the wheels on the AMT kit are a bit better than the IMC

the engine block in the IMC kit  appears too small  but that can be corrected

the block is shorter than the IMC Chaparral kit engine - both used sm block chevys - which is funny   -  cause the body of the Chaparral is way too narrow ...

are you going to make the Mecom car or what ??

I photographed the silver Skip Hudson Mark I  T70 at Palm Beach motorsports park two weeks ago

beautiful car !!  I'll post a photo if you want to see it ...

I still think that the Lola T70 is one of the coolest race cars ever made. I have an IMC kit on the shelf waiting for me to get around to it. I'd like to build a Bignotti version that was raced by Parnelli Jones and later by Mario Andretti with the Indy Ford four cam engine, but, I'm not aware of any decal sets for it. (If anyone can steer me to a set, please do.) I saw Mario in the car at Road America back in the day. I fell in love with the unique sound of  that engine.

image.jpeg

Here is what I have so far. Primed and needs more fitting and sanding. Still do not know what car to do. Decals are the problem. We have a club member that does decals so I might have him make the mecom decals. I like the blue on the car.

149115A0-1891-4144-ABDC-88097BD640B2.jpeg

20FE1CD5-3053-4A21-A14C-2B3839426F5C.jpeg

EB42C810-3025-45B4-B93B-16937BD3E295.jpeg

Bruce,

FYI......the Bignotti Lola is a very similar shade of blue as the Mecum car. If you were to decide to do a Bignotti, and have your club friend make you some decals, I'd be interested in a set too. 

The cars in these photos are to give you an idea of the color and graphics. I'm thinking one must be a replica, as it doesn't have the Ford Indy engine. The Indy Ford has the "snake pit" exhaust header that sits on top of the engine and the tailpipes sit on the top of the coach work. I have one that I didn't use in my Gurney Eagle. (I actually have two, wanna work out a trade?) I thought I might use that in my T70. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

23 hours ago, Brudda said:

Wow so many cars! Dan Gurney raced the Lola with a small block ford.

Back in their day, the T70 was very successful. Lola sold a bunch of them and they were raced by many. Dan Gurney, Mark Donohue, George Fullmer, Peter Revson, Lothar Motschenbacher, Charlie Parsons, Skip Scott, Parnelli Jones, Mario Andretti, John Surtees and a few others I no doubt overlooked. There are many choices for a modeler, should he be able to locate decal sets. This is my John Surtees. (My personal favorite.) I built this kit 50+ years ago and re did it recently. I believe it was an AMT kit.

image.jpeg

Edited by Racersonly
Addition

I believe it was an AMT. Pretty basic, simple kit with a one piece body. I think it was available as a slot car body too.

I'd love to get my hands on a set of Bignotti decals. I'll try to locate that 2nd Indy Ford engine for you.

Edited by Racersonly

engines ...

my bad

thought the Mecum car used a chevy engine - but probably all of the Mecum cars used Ford engines - right?

http://www.britishracecar.com/BillThumel-Lola-T70.htm

this is a link to a walk a round of the Penske Lola T70 - which is Chevy powered

but generally useful for the chassis and suspension photos

the present day restored cars have different features - but that is more down to what was/is available at the time of the restoration ...

check out the purple rivets - I was told at a vintage event that those are period correct for the Lolas

rivet counters rejoice !!

12 hours ago, absmiami said:

engines ...

my bad

thought the Mecum car used a chevy engine - but probably all of the Mecum cars used Ford engines - right?

http://www.britishracecar.com/BillThumel-Lola-T70.htm

this is a link to a walk a round of the Penske Lola T70 - which is Chevy powered

but generally useful for the chassis and suspension photos

the present day restored cars have different features - but that is more down to what was/is available at the time of the restoration ...

check out the purple rivets - I was told at a vintage event that those are period correct for the Lolas

rivet counters rejoice !!

Outstanding link with article and pictures Andy.  Thank you for sharing.