Model Cars Magazine Forum

'65 Fury. Back on the Bench.

StevenGuthmiller

1 hour ago, Brutalform said:

There is kit of this car on eBay right now , and it’s been started, it’s up to $113 with 12 bidders on it, and it still has five days to go yet. 

I just went and took a look at that kit.

A very nice one, and as you say, with more than 5 days left in the auction, I would be surprised to see it go for much less than $200.00, possibly much more!

I'm glad I picked mine up some time ago, and even then, it wasn't cheap!

Steve

Fantastic detailed information.  Especially on the type of airbrush. I'm a bit skeptical on your 2 to 3 inch distance guess as it seems a bit close but I probably have been using my brush all wrong due to lack of experience. 

28 minutes ago, Flat32 said:

Fantastic detailed information.  Especially on the type of airbrush. I'm a bit skeptical on your 2 to 3 inch distance guess as it seems a bit close but I probably have been using my brush all wrong due to lack of experience. 

You could be right about the distance.

I will be spraying another coat on this body tomorrow if possible.

I'll try to pay a bit more attention while I'm doing it and report back to you. :)

Steve

Went looking for your airbrush and it seems there are different nozzle sizes and types.  Do you know exactly what you have??  I suspect your airbrush hits the sweet spot between a detailing airbrush and a mini spray gun and that's what works best on a body sized part. Rattle cans and me don't get along very well.

7 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

Yeah, I'm watching that one as I'm curious to see how high it'll go. I can betcha it'll be sky high before it's all said and done as they're hard to come by. I got a very restorable promo a while back as well as a '66, but heaven knows when I'll get to do anything with 'em.

I was surprised to see it get that high right out of the hole. The stating bid was $49.99, but it climbed pretty quick. 

I would like to get this kit sometime, but I just bought a valuable horror novel,  so I’m tapped right now. 

What is your guess on the final price, Bill?  

Sorry about the triple post. Something is definitely wrong. It kept telling me I couldn’t post without waiting 17 seconds, and I tried posting three times, and it triple posted. 

I asked a moderator to remove the two. 

Edited by Brutalform

19 minutes ago, Brutalform said:

I was surprised to see it get that high right out of the hole. The starting bid was $49.99, but it climbed pretty quick. 

I would like to get this kit sometime, but I just bought a valuable horror novel,  so I’m tapped right now. 

What is your guess on the final price, Bill?  

I can see that kit going for $160+! Being started notwithstanding.

Johan was the only one to make that C Body Mopar.......and it’s dead on accurate which is a major plus. ??

I recently bought two JoHan kits. A 63 Fury, and a 62 Dart. Paid $50 for each one.  

Then after realizing the prices on the 62 Plymouth, and 63 Dodge, I went the resin route on these two. I couldn’t even find a 63 Dodge in styrene,  let alone buy one. 

Edited by Brutalform

1 hour ago, MrObsessive said:

I can see that kit going for $160+! Being started notwithstanding.

Johan was the only one to make that C Body Mopar.......and it’s dead on accurate which is a major plus. ??

Bill, have you come across ANY JoHan kits that weren’t as accurate as the 1:1 car? I’m pretty new to building JoHan cars. 

Edited by Brutalform

16 minutes ago, Brutalform said:

Bill, have you come across ANY JoHan kits that weren’t as accurate as the 1:1 car? I’m pretty new to building JoHan cars. 

The '59 Dodge and Plymouth rear wheel wells are a bit too low IMO.

IIRC, John Goshke pointed this out when he was building I believe a '59 Plymouth (could have been a Dodge) and he corrected it with using part of the quarters off of AMT's '57 Chrysler. That's all I can think of at the moment. Some may quibble with the overall scale and 'size' of certain models they did.

For example, I always thought their '58 Cadillac (I have an X-EL promo) was a bit on the small side despite it being 1/25 scale. One reason for this is Johan needed to have their models fit in a certain type/size box for store purposes so they may have 'fudged' the size of their models just a bit. Same goes for the '58 Oldsmobile. Perfect body lines, but once again looks to me just a tad small considering how big the 1:1 is.

Grab those Johans if you can get 'em! Most of what they made will never see the light of day from any manufacturer, so if it's what you want and it's a decent price........GRAB IT! Judging by what I see on the 'Bay and at shows, there's still a demand for 'em. ;)

EDIT: There is one other car which has a design foible that's bugged me for years. Johan's 1964 Cadillac Convertible. The windshield frame is waaay wrong for that car. In '64, GM was still using different windshield frames for different cars. The two door '64 Cadillac was using GM's new for '63 "squarer" windshield frame with it's much squarer header. The convertibles (and I believe the four doors) were using the older '61-'62 "rounder" windshield header except it had the straighter pillar and not the rounder one like the 1961-'62 cars.

If were building this model, of course I'd change the windshield frame for something else. Maybe swap one out of Revell's '64 Impala which is correct? Just an observation on my part........your mileage may vary! :D 

Edited by MrObsessive

6 hours ago, Flat32 said:

Went looking for your airbrush and it seems there are different nozzle sizes and types.  Do you know exactly what you have??  I suspect your airbrush hits the sweet spot between a detailing airbrush and a mini spray gun and that's what works best on a body sized part. Rattle cans and me don't get along very well.

This is the one that I have Ray.

Steve

2v2uK38BLxwUbWP.jpg

1 hour ago, Brutalform said:

I recently bought two JoHan kits. A 63 Fury, and a 62 Dart. Paid $50 for each one.  

Then after realizing the prices on the 62 Plymouth, and 63 Dodge, I went the resin route on these two. I couldn’t even find a 63 Dodge in styrene,  let alone buy one. 

Yeah, the '63 Polara is a pretty rare one.

Both the '62 Dodge and '63 Plymouth were re-popped and are not terribly difficult to find.

The '62 Plymouth convertible is not really hard to find either.

I have a very nice '63 Polara convertible that I hope to restore in the not too distant future.

Steve

2v2EDzNqgxwUbWP.jpg

14 hours ago, gtx6970 said:

Ive been watching for a clean 65 Fury conv for a while now. 

Getting one for under 150 is tough.

So I've started watching for a distressed promo as well / instead.

I had been looking for a 67 or 68 Fury builder kit and was thoroughly dismayed at the prices, so I started looking at the distressed promo route. Got a decent black '67 with some weak chrome, a few scratches, a missing hood ornament and cracked windshield for under 60.00 which I didn't feel was too bad at all. 

20 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Just a quick, (and very poor) teaser pic.

Now I'm glad that I decided to dump the skirts and go with the Torque Thrusts!

I think it gives a very aggressive, muscle car vibe.

I like it! :)

Steve

2v2E4vR35xwUbWP.jpg

Perfect stance and attitude Steve!

23 minutes ago, garagepunk66 said:

I had been looking for a 67 or 68 Fury builder kit and was thoroughly dismayed at the prices, so I started looking at the distressed promo route. Got a decent black '67 with some weak chrome, a few scratches, a missing hood ornament and cracked windshield for under 60.00 which I didn't feel was too bad at all. 

I have a very nice un-built '67 that will go under the knife at some point. :)

Can't remember what I paid for it, but you can bet your behind that it was more than $60.00!

I'm pretty certain that most of these Johan Plymouths came with a spare hood ornament on the chrome tree.

I have the '65, '66 and '67, which would translate into a few extra hood ornaments if I'm correct.

I might be able to help you with at least that detail.

Steve

1 hour ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I have a very nice un-built '67 that will go under the knife at some point. :)

Can't remember what I paid for it, but you can bet your behind that it was more than $60.00!

I'm pretty certain that most of these Johan Plymouths came with a spare hood ornament on the chrome tree.

I have the '65, '66 and '67, which would translate into a few extra hood ornaments if I'm correct.

I might be able to help you with at least that detail.

Steve

I will take you up on that offer Steve.

15 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

This is the one that I have Ray.

Steve

2v2uK38BLxwUbWP.jpg

Many thanks Steve.  I found and ordered one exactly as shown. Are all your Fury pics with paint as sprayed or are the latest ones sanded?