Model Cars Magazine Forum

Need I.D. of car in photo

The M-bodies came out for '77 with the Chrysler LeBaron and Dodge Diplomat.   Canada got the Plymouth Caravelle, which was basically the same as the Diplomat.   The US didn't have a Plymouth variation until the Gran Fury name moved to the M-body in '82.    

18 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

That was my first thought. Knowing how that block was when the photo was taken (late '70s - early '80s), somebody probably tried to "borrow" the battery. ;) :D

Looks like it ran into something...front end is kind of pushed down on the driver's side.

Edited by Rob Hall

1 hour ago, TarheelRick said:

It may be a Chrysler product, but it looks more like a mid 70's Chevrolet Impala to me.  I can't see the parking/signal lights over the headlights in the photo.  It appears as if the hood may be a bit ajar.

Nah, way smaller than an Impala..definitely a Le Baron. 

1 hour ago, Rob Hall said:

Looks like it ran into something...front end is kind of pushed down on the driver's side.

it had some front end damage for sure, probably to a hit on the left front fender & knocked the front header panel out of alignment....:(

7 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

Usual occurrence when trying to beat somebody into a parking spot around here. The loser looks worse. :D

I remember the couple times I've been to NYC (Manhattan) seeing cars with extra rubber strips added to bumpers...and late model cars parked on the street with lots of dings and cracked plastic bumpers. 

That whole front end looks like it has been rearranged a little. Besides the left front fender being a little bent, look at the driver's head light. The front bumper looks like it has been pushed back some and the grill area is cockeyed also. The mean streets of New York I guess. 

12 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

That was my first thought. Knowing how that block was when the photo was taken (late '70s - early '80s), somebody probably tried to "borrow" the battery. ;) :D

Yeah, that's kinda what I was thinking too. IIRC, those header panels were fiber-reinforced hard plastic. Trying to pop the hood latch by putting a long bar under the lip of the hood right at the crease and levering down usually cracked and depressed the header just like that...

11 hours ago, Jon Haigwood said:

Looks to ba about a 82 Dodge Diplomat or Plymouth Grand Fury 

dodg.png.b96ab04664d5803dc3a62e2b7afafaf0.png

gran-fury.jpg.498246b79a42101bf0b929795d8ce519.jpg

The Fury above was based on the same Chrysler M-body shell as the first generation Chrysler LeBarons and all Dodge Diplomats. So they all look fairly similar. But, look at the front end. It matches the LeBaron in Rob Hall's post above, more than the Fury above. There is no question in my mind Mr. Hall is correct. It a Chrysler LeBaron. 

IMG_3494.PNG