Model Cars Magazine Forum

Now the effort begins to set up the new model room

The rest of the boxes arrived at the new house and now I need to get sorting and set up.  I have gotten the kits up and reasonably organized.

SAM_3146.JPG.4add147c13dba86e45dfebd1860a8c08.JPG

But the books, die cast, awards, tools and workstation await.  Then I have to set up the paint booth in the garage.

One delay factor is that a display cabinet got a glass panel broken, and I can't touch it until they repair it. 

5ce8844a38609_SAM_3147(2).JPG.323cec800f3f96590a5311ce3ea755d9.JPG

Supposed to be here Wednesday afternoon.  But not sure how he'll handle glass.  The ceiling is 10 feet high, so there are a lot of kits.  Once I settle in a bit, I am going to whittle that stash down through trade/.sell.  I am expecting to reduce it 40 to 50%.

Wow!  At this point in my life that big of a stash makes me very anxious.   I've been trying to a couple years to reduce my stash and built ups.   I still have a couple hundred cars displayed at any given time, but am running out of room for new pieces and have to figure out what is displayed and what stays stored.  And what gets sold.   My model building area works well though for now.  Actually have a dedicated area in storage building and a little countertop space in house where I can do basic work and small things in winter when it's too cold to go to storage building.  

Your new room looks good and good luck getting it finished up. 

Moving is a great opportunity to design new work space with all the experiences you have from the past!

I recently attacked the task of cleaning up my work space.  I had a buddy coming over for an afternoon and knew I needed to clear out enough space for us both to sit and move around. My room had been reduced to a little goat path down the middle of the stacks of kits and parts boxes that were just everywhere!  I managed to box up about four cases of kits and move them down to the model warehouse in the basement.   I actually swept and vacuumed.

When my daughters moved last summer, they had a chest of drawers that became surplus, so that's now in the model room. I filled it with supplies. There is a plastic drawer, a wood drawer, and the top drawer is all decals, instruction sheets and research materials.  So far it's staying usable!

I still have to organize my paints, which includes testing and tossing dead cans and bottles,  as well as cleaning out the spray booth.

It now is a bit easier to work!  And a bit more enjoyable at that!

This is what I am going to do to my resin casting shop.  I am a horrible organizer!  I just have trouble deciding how to arrange tables and cabinets.  I am working to put wheels under everything.  I do like to be able to easily move furniture to arrange and clean.  Now that I am retired from a job I can walk to work too.

25 minutes ago, Greg Wann said:

This is what I am going to do to my resin casting shop.  I am a horrible organizer!  I just have trouble deciding how to arrange tables and cabinets.  I am working to put wheels under everything.  I do like to be able to easily move furniture to arrange and clean.  Now that I am retired from a job I can walk to work too.

Congrats on your retirement and best of luck with balancing the casting biz and enjoying not having to report to work every day! Looking forward to seeing what new stuff you create in the workshop for us!