Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum
Scale-Master

Lola T-70 Mk III

Recommended Posts

Thanks Guys!!

 

Finally, and for the first time it is up on its wheels so I can get an idea of where the ride height is.

6OJhMme.jpg

8xoS7dS.jpg

ybUwuwI.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back to working on the alternator; because it has become relevant to the suspension.

More fabrication…

rH2nbys.jpg

S7kpB14.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ride height looks perfect. What an epic build thread!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks fantastic on all 4's and buttoned up Mark.  That certainly put a smile on your face.  cheers, tim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys!!!  Yes I did smile when it became a roller.

 

Alternator bracket.  I designed it in SolidWorks and grew it.

EQpX0ml.jpg

Alternator drive pulley.

dUNXBwi.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Assembled alternator bolted to the bracket.  I machined the hardware.

(The fan spins too.)  Still some detail painting to do…

foIvhzC.jpg

SXf0thE.jpg

 Juv4Qxp.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had to make an offset pulley for the alternator to clear the transmission mounts.  The ratio comes out to the alternator turning about 3000 RPM at 100MPH.

TFusHxy.jpg

Alternator assembly loosely fitted to the car.

xy1DEvy.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Guys!

 

I drew up the base of the intake manifold and did a test print.

ggNGJ40.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Trevor!

 

I designed a Weber 48 IDA carb in SolidWorks.  I might have gone a little overkill, but sometimes those details print well.  Even though I made the springs and hardware I'll probably print the master without some of those details and machine them in metal like usual.

05ylFPI.jpg

Linkages that can barely be seen…

TYBC4Os.jpg

The screen is a separate part too.

RlB6AQ2.jpg

Idle and mixture screws with springs.

uEq4F1L.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Trevor,  it's easy to lose a few days drawing these parts up, but it is rewarding too.  Sure is nice having access to real parts too...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once I knew the base of the manifold fit the engine I added the runners and flanges.

mQ2K6Z7.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Scale-Master said:

Thanks Trevor,  it's easy to lose a few days drawing these parts up, but it is rewarding too.  Sure is nice having access to real parts too...

Welcome, I'm sure..

I've tried SolidWorks, just could never get the hang of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it has a steep initial learning curve, but full immersion helped me catch on relatively quickly.  Plus I needed to learn it for work.

 

First print of the full manifold.

tQxDMpJ.jpg

V84rejy.jpg

Test printed the carb parts at the same time.  In the end it looks like I'll have to machine hardware for them like usual.

aGSuz2t.jpg

FrKRrgB.jpg

Although I was half surprised the lower linkage and springs grew…

EbpxXGU.jpg

 OsUfs27.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would agree, a steep learning curve. 

Manifold and carbs look great.

Trevor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The radius rods in the kit are clunky chromed plastic with C type snap "fittings".  And they are somewhat flexible.  
I drew up adjustable rod ends and joints and printed some out.  I printed one set assembled together for the rear joints to make mocking it up and sizing the rods easier.
The main radius rods are steel rod and the receivers for the control links are brass rod.
30AnI8j.jpg
fmm66gz.jpg
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While I was able to engineer in the correct angles for the intake manifold to mate to the block and heads when I designed it; the printer left too much slag on the bottom surfaces and I had to fixture it up in my mill to cut those angles for a proper fit.  This material is very brittle and I was relieved that it took the vise and milling as well as it did.

I also added a couple more magnets to it.

 

0vVyuKZ.jpg

 

The block received two more magnets too.  As well as brass tubing under the thermostat housing and the distributor to positively locate and align the manifold.

9T0ZM88.jpg

VzBsQEQ.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My first time seeing this thread. Simply saying it looks excellent doesn't really do justice to your incredible work and thought that's going into it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you Nigel!

 

I turned my attention back the carbs and added brass tubing to the intake for positive locating of the Webers.  I used the one I test grew to double check alignment.

kfPXA55.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...