Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lola T-70 Mk III

Scale-Master

The distributor will be an OEM GM item too; a recurved HEI unit from an L82, (like on my real car).
I designed the cap and coil in SolidWorks. 
The electrical connection plugs will be grown on it too, but I won't be using the ring that locks the plug boots in place, it's a pain in real life.
gidQ1iq.jpg
3jxmJCV.jpg
tyXgi57.jpg

Knowing the inside would probably not grow as clean as needed to fit to the aluminum distributor base I grew a jig with it to hold the cap so it could be machined to fit.  Worked like a charm too.

yTBaDaT.jpg

The distributor base was machined from aluminum.  The cap is a cast resin copy.

0LGLE5M.jpg

No, not the whole project, I was hoping to have the engine done by January 2022. 

I think two years and seven months is longest I've spent on a single car model.  I have a couple stalled projects that span longer, and a '69 Camaro that sat idle for twelve years, before I picked it up and finished it, but I'm only counting active build time.

On 11/3/2020 at 11:18 AM, Scale-Master said:

No, not the whole project, I was hoping to have the engine done by January 2022. 

I think two years and seven months is longest I've spent on a single car model.  I have a couple stalled projects that span longer, and a '69 Camaro that sat idle for twelve years, before I picked it up and finished it, but I'm only counting active build time.

Just the engine?  Wow!  But I guess at the level of accuracy you are building it, that is not surprising.

57 minutes ago, Scale-Master said:

And I made spark plugs too.   Steel and resin; shown with a boot installed.

DT4RMwu.jpg

Any chance you would be willing to 3D print that Distributor cap in 1:16 scale? I would be willing to buy a few. Let me know.

Edited by Oldmopars