Model Cars Magazine Forum

Galion 12 1/2 Ton Hydraulic Rough Terrain Crane

Got the Detroit 4-71 engine from Moluminum put together with the torque converter and transfer case.  Made up the main boom section along with the first hydraulically extended boom  One piece at a time! Only glued my fingers together about ten times.  Not too bad!

IMG_9297.JPG

IMG_9298.JPG

IMG_9299.JPG

IMG_9300.JPG

IMG_9301.JPG

Edited by redneckrigger

Realized I made the extension boom too big...... it is supposed to be shallower to allow room for the extension cylinder which mounts beneath it. So, cut it down to fit.  That's what I get when I build after midnight trying to find time to build.  Tried something new to cut long straight pieces of styrene......a paper guillotine.  Works great.  This is a light duty one that I figured I'd try but will definitely be getting a heavier duty one.  Got the hydraulic pump mounted on the front of the engine too. Also put together some proper wheels for it.  

IMG_9304.JPG

IMG_9305.JPG

IMG_9309.JPG

IMG_9310.JPG

IMG_9311.JPG

Made up the main boom lift cylinder today. I make my cylinders by using several different sizes of tube that telescope together along with an aluminum tube for the piston rod. I take the outer tube, make a shallow sleeve as the rod end cap,  make a base end cap from several  shallow slices of tube and rod slid into each other. The rod has a piston glued on its end and is slid into the body tube before gluing the base in.  Then I slid two larger tubes over the whole thing to make the main cylinder body larger. This works pretty well and works for multiple stage telescoping cylinders as well.

IMG_9325.JPG

IMG_9326.JPG

IMG_9328.JPG

IMG_9331.JPG

IMG_9332.JPG

IMG_9333.JPG

IMG_9334.JPG

IMG_9335.JPG

IMG_9336.JPG

IMG_9337.JPG

IMG_9338.JPG

Edited by redneckrigger

Got the last two sections of boom made up as well as all three extension cylinders.  This is going to be a four section power extended boom. Some of these cranes had manually extended booms that were pinned in place, but this one will be the optional all power boom.  I am considering making the jib for it as well.  The boom will extend to a scale length of 60 feet and the optional swinging jib will be 12 feet. The operators and parts manuals for this crane are priceless! 

IMG_9352.JPG

IMG_9354.JPG

IMG_9355.JPG

Edited by redneckrigger

Great job on the vehicle, If I was building the boom and extensions I would use .010 shims pieces inside the boom and the extensions to prevent the extension from coming apart and giving a guide when being extended. I did this when I did an Mack Arialscope  boom years ago.2v2ECZWVJxwhifW.jpg

2v2ECZymqxwhifW.jpg

greg

That's a great idea! Thanks! But the way I am making my boom, just like the prototype with the extension cylinders, the rods can only extend so far, just like the original. The extension cylinder for the first section mounts inside the main boom beneath the first section. The two cylinders for the second and third sections mount inside the second and third section, exactly like the real deal. So when the boom is extended, it won't be able to come apart. It will be all painted and then assembled, and will work just like the real deal.  Nice looking build you got there!

Edited by redneckrigger

Tonight I built the double extension cylinders, which are two cylinders bolted together side  by side, actually one over the top of the other, with one pointing one way and one pointing the other way. They are then attached inside the third boom section, bolted to the inside of the end of the boom closest to the turntable. The rod at that end is attached inside the end of the second section closest to the turntable. The other end is attached inside the end of the fourth section at the end furthest from the turntable. The fourth section then telescopes into the third, over the double cylinders. The two cylinders extend the third section out of the second and the fourth out of the third. I also installed the primary extension cylinder inside the main boom beneath section two.  In the actual crane, the hydraulics are valves so the three cylinders extend at the same time, extending the boom progressively at each section.   Was a bit of styrene engineering to get it done but it works perfectly! The way this is put together it cannot extend apart as the cylinder travel keeps each section in the correct relationship to the previous and the next.  Still have to build the winch box and the counterweight but this was a major step forward!

IMG_9377.JPG

IMG_9378.JPG

IMG_9379.JPG

IMG_9380.JPG

IMG_9381.JPG

IMG_9382.JPG

IMG_9383.JPG

IMG_9384.JPG

IMG_9385.JPG

IMG_9386.JPG

IMG_9387.JPG

IMG_9388.JPG

Edited by redneckrigger

Just WOW!!! Like the work you do RNR!!! Question on the tubing, are you making the rectangular tubing or can a person buy it that size? If so, where do you get it? I want to do a wheel/axle lift on the back of a wrecker and need to find some larger rectangular tube..

I make the tubes by cutting strips to the size I want.  I use a paper guillotine to cut them straight and parallel. I then glue them together using steel parallel blocks to hold them at right angles. If you look back into previous posts on this thread you will see how I do it.  There are some tube sizes available from Evergreen and Plastruct, but just not what I needed.