Model Cars Magazine Forum

Foose '67 Dodge Coronet

mrmike

My new project is the Foose '67 Dodge Coronet and this kit has been in the stash for a couple of years.  I have seen builds of this kit, but never built as the car from OverHaulin' season 4, episode 6.  This is my goal here, but I have to make some changes.  The '67 Coronet from the show was a Coronet 440 model and not the Coronet R/T as depicted by the kit.  The engine was a modern Hemi and not the second generation Hemi that's in the kit.  I will use the Hemi that is in the kit, but the 4-speed transmission will be replace by a TorqueFlite A727 automatic trans and a column shifter.  The buckets seats will be made into a bench seat and the R/T emblems will be removed from the body, but if I try to remove them from the grille and taillight panel, which is also wrong for a Coronet 440, I'll end up destroying them.  And, I'll remove the hood louvers since the Coronet 440 has a flat hood.  My paint will be Dupli-Color Forest Pearl Green and Tamiya TS-14 Black and the TorqueFlite A727 automatic transmission.  Let's see what I can do with this kit... 

More to come...

OHCoronet01.JPG

OHCoronet02.JPG

OHCoronet03.JPG

The first thing I did was to connect the bucket seats together to make a bench seat.  I used some styrene rod and will cover the gap with .020 sheet styrene.  I may remove the rod from between the seatbacks and created a split between the seatbacks.  I filled the hole in the floor pan and with flock this interior floor.  I partially assembled the engine and painted it with Mopar Street Hemi Orange paint.  This paint will take a few days to gas out.  I also have my TorqueFlite A727 Automatic trans and shifter ready for paint.  I removed the R/T logos from the body and now for the toughest part of the build...removing the louvers from the hood.  I used Tamiya tape to protect the hood while I sand away the louvers.  The valve covers have been drilled for plug wires and will be stripped of it's chrome plating as well as the alternator and carbs.

More to come...

OHCoronet04.JPG

OHCoronet05.JPG

OHCoronet06.JPG

I haven't gotten a whole lot done on the Foose Coronet, but I do have this...

The hood louvers are gone and the hood is almost ready for primer.  Just need some more sanding.  I got the wheels and tires assembled.  I started to assemble the engine and I drilled the distributor for plug wires.

More to come...

OHCoronet07.JPG

OHCoronet08.JPG

OHCoronet09.JPG

• 1 month later...

I have finally gotten back to the Coronet.  After over a month of being sidetracked with other projects, I can spend more time on this.  

I got the engine wired, but I may try to fix the ignition coil which looks kind of sloppy.  I added the TorqueFlite A727 transmission to the 426 Hemi.  Bodywork is done and the Coronet is in a coat of Tamiya Grey Primer.  Now it's ready for a coat of Dupli-Color Forest Green Pearl paint.

More Foose Coronet to come...

OHCoronet10.JPG

OHCoronet11.JPG

OHCoronet12.JPG

Finally back onto the Foose Coronet!  Yesterday, I worked on the chassis by adding the engine and driveshaft and the front and rear suspensions.  The engine is in need of some touchups.  I did a mockup and found that the front suspension sits way to high and will need to be lowered.  I may try to lower the rear suspension.  The automatic transmission and the 4-speed transmission are the same length and the driveshaft fits perfectly!  I spent some time working on the bench seat by covering the space between the buckets with sheet styrene.  The back of the seat was the most challenging for me.

OHCoronet13.JPG

OHCoronet14.JPG

OHCoronet15.JPG

I took a chance that the wheels and tires will fit this Coronet once I lowered the front suspension.  If worse comes to worse, I can modify the king pins and the wheelbacks further and then glue the wheels and tires to the suspension.  This model will not roll off the table!  [:D]

OHCoronet16.JPG

OHCoronet17.JPG

OHCoronet18.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I made a bit of progress at yesterday's Play Date.  I finished the interior, mounted the wheels and tires and got the primary coat of paint on the Coronet.  Yes, the paint is thin on top of the roof.  It will be painted with Tamiya TS-14 Gloss Black.  I rubbed out the body with a terry cloth towel to remove the blushing due to the high humidity yesterday.

OHCoronet19.JPG

OHCoronet20.JPG

OHCoronet21.JPG

With all the masking done, I went and painted the roof of the Coronet with Tamiya TS-14 Gloss Black.  Three coats of paint and it looks great!  I'll let this dry and clearcoat the entire body with Tamiya TS-13 Gloss Clear.

OHCoronet22.JPG

OHCoronet23.JPG

OHCoronet24.JPG