Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dodge Van Camper - Done!

Thank you everyone for the nice comments!  I really enjoyed building this and building something from nothing. Yea, I have those high dollar kits but I create models from broken bodies and discarded parts!

On 9/21/2019 at 5:41 PM, LouO said:

This is awesome! I think I left my other shoe outside though...? LOL (it was a rough night)

I had a one legged man that came in a big bag of parts I had bought at a show.  I actually winced as I cut the foot off the figure!  

On 9/22/2019 at 10:12 AM, ewetwo said:

That is fantastic Tom. I love the dog house and how you can look inside through the top.

One of the things that kept me from finishing this was access to the interior.  I didn't want to permanently sandwich the interior inside.  I finally realized there was no other way and the dog house coming off is one consolation.  I am now experimenting with small magnets, and the roof will completely come off a camper I'm working on and will be held securely in place with magnets.

On 9/21/2019 at 8:28 AM, bbowser said:

Great concept and execution!  A rolling diorama as it were.  I'd like to see more of that truck as well ?

Mvc-005snew

The Pyrite's Paddler was actually a real truck.  I saw it in the parking lot at a car show.  Later after I had the model out in circulation, I met the owner.. who knew he'd be a model car guy!  I met him at a show and he was very enthusiastic.

pyrite front

The Paddler was built in the early 1990s and appeared in Car Modeler Magazine around 1995.  It's weathered the years well!

pyrite interior

pyrite rear1

Everything behind the cab is scratch built.  Back then I had Joe Cavorley coaching me and he said to envision everything as a series of shapes, and to concentrate on creating each shape and gluing them together. Most of what you see here is Evergreen sheet.  It didn't come easy, that's the third work box!

I recently had someone looking at a photo of the camper and this truck ask if that was the work box from the new Moebius '66 Ford. Actually I've known Dave Burket, the Model King forever and he admits that he got the inspiration for that model from this one!

pyrite chassis

DSC00001

And here's the Paddler guest starring at The CanAm Garage.  If you have been on the old Hobby Heaven board, you'll know about this diorama created by John Dezan of Canada. He brought it to NNL East one year.  And that's Jackson along with it.

• 2 weeks later...