Model Cars Magazine Forum

1971 Monte Carlo lowrider. Stepping out of my comfort zone.

Superbird McMonte

I’ve always admired the workmanship that goes into low riders. Especially the multi layered paint jobs. There’s a guy that shows his models at our local LIARS show and the NNL East. His work is fantastic and always inspires me. After seeing his work a couple weeks ago I’ve decided to dip my toe into the water and give it a try. I’ll be converting the 70 Monte Carlo into a 1971. I don’t know if I’m going to do a multi color paint job or maybe a two-tone. But I worked tonight on the ride height. I wanted it Looooooooow!

03763D1A-6B55-4328-B871-FBE6AEEBADC8.thumb.jpeg.1c2c56a4beea96c5dadca487f3cb1f34.jpeg785178A7-0882-4BD9-AB58-CFFAB5EAE159.thumb.jpeg.362fbe4e8c4a68e8d860b39262d4646e.jpeg

Edited by Superbird McMonte

Looking good,  it's always nice to try something new , hope it all works out !

I spent nearly 2 years building one of these into a full show car lowrider, there's a lot of potential there !I

Using 5 spokes is cool, these are usually used on earlier style rides from the 60s n 70s, that's not to say you can't have them on a later style though !  That's a good thing about these cars, rules are fairly flexible !!

Look forward to seeing more !

There was a Low Ridder issue of this kit with Hydraulic Suspension  components four the four corners of the Suspension. They offered stock ride height and also lowered or raised settings. From your picture I think you have the ride height figured out. Wheels are always a very personal thing, but many of the earlier Low Ridders used the Astro Supremes and the later builds seem to trend to the Chrome Wire Wheel style. There're a lot of Low Ridder Magazines on the magazine racks and they may give you some additional ideas as well as the current trends since this is an ever changing style.     

10 hours ago, espo said:

There was a Low Ridder issue of this kit with Hydraulic Suspension  components four the four corners of the Suspension. They offered stock ride height and also lowered or raised settings. From your picture I think you have the ride height figured out. Wheels are always a very personal thing, but many of the earlier Low Ridders used the Astro Supremes and the later builds seem to trend to the Chrome Wire Wheel style. There're a lot of Low Ridder Magazines on the magazine racks and they may give you some additional ideas as well as the current trends since this is an ever changing style.     

The lowrider cars are a fascinating lot. The one trend I didn't like was putting 13" wheels on a Cadillac that stuck out past the fenders!  I think the Monte Carlo is a great subject for a lowrider build.

9 hours ago, Bucky said:

The lowrider cars are a fascinating lot. The one trend I didn't like was putting 13" wheels on a Cadillac that stuck out past the fenders!  I think the Monte Carlo is a great subject for a lowrider build.

Fortunately that is a style that I think has past. I think in an effort to get a car as low as they can the small diameter tires became popular. Having wheels and tires extending beyond the body was another fad that was very damaging to suspension parts including Wheel Bearings. Many different styling trends come and go and can even be different in one location too another.