Model Cars Magazine Forum

Franklin Mint moulds ?

57peppershaker

Franklin Mints were 1/24 anyway, so if the larger size bugs you a bit, it would be better to get the engine out of a beat up kit just the same.

It's too bad that both Franklin Mint and Danbury are out of the diecast car business. Franklin especially was getting really good in the latter years and I can only imagine prices will go up as they become more scarce in the years to come.

Danbury was putting some AMAZING detail in their cars as I have a number of them. Judging by some of the asking (and getting) prices for their cars, I'd say that some of them are definite gold mines! I happen to have both of their '54 Cadillacs (coupe and convertible) and the prices for those now are CRAZY! :o

My experience over the last couple of years Bill has been that the Mint car prices are going both ways.  The rare ones are going up in price for sure but there seem to be a lot of collections that are being liquidated as the original owners have aged and are either passing away or moving into smaller retirement quarters.   My own Mint collection has grown  with most purchases from estate sales being less than kit prices.  A perfect example is the Todd Hilton Collection that RandyC is managing for his widow.

1 hour ago, Gramps46 said:

My experience over the last couple of years Bill has been that the Mint car prices are going both ways.  The rare ones are going up in price for sure but there seem to be a lot of collections that are being liquidated as the original owners have aged and are either passing away or moving into smaller retirement quarters.   My own Mint collection has grown  with most purchases from estate sales being less than kit prices.  A perfect example is the Todd Hilton Collection that RandyC is managing for his widow.

Yeah. These cars sold originally for, what, $120? I've been able to score three or four of five of them, without boxes and papers, of course, for prices between $20 and $35. 

Price they can bring is very subjective to subject.

Some of the more common cars/trucks can be bought on the cheap.

But most of them can and do bring over $100 on a regular basis ( some WELL over ) 

I looked for a while for one of these mint green 1958 New Yorker hardtops and finally made an offer on one and it cost me $125 plus postage to get it ,,,and I have no regrets . Car is dead mint in its original box

s-l1600.jpg

3 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

That's a real beauty Bill! :wub:

I've not seen that one before, so it must be a rare one! BEAUTIFUL color and it's too bad that Round2 can't see fit to turn their '57 Chrysler 300C into one of these, or at least the '58 version of the car.

Thanks,

Seems there were several 57-58 Variations of these cars by them.  I already have both of the 1957  300 convertibles , the white Danbury and black Franklin mint cars. So felt a nice hardtop would be nice . They did make a red 1958 300 hardtop variation if one desires. But i really liked the color of this version .

There is a seller on eBay that does a LOT of parts.  Vivian something or other.  Very easy to deal with.  I bought an entire 59 Caddy chassis to put under aJADA.  There is a thread here.  

But the engines are just a bit larger than 1/25.  Was going to use a 56 Ford engine in my 59.  Just a slight difference.  Decided I didn't want to do the extra work to make it fit.  

On 11/30/2019 at 1:07 PM, gtx6970 said:

Price they can bring is very subjective to subject.

Some of the more common cars/trucks can be bought on the cheap.

But most of them can and do bring over $100 on a regular basis ( some WELL over ) 

I looked for a while for one of these mint green 1958 New Yorker hardtops and finally made an offer on one and it cost me $125 plus postage to get it ,,,and I have no regrets . Car is dead mint in its original box

s-l1600.jpg

Someday I hope the get one of the Chryslers that isn't white or black.  Those are beautiful.  Funny that the beige 58 fury runs cheaper than yellow Belvedere.  But that Fury color is awful to me.  

13 minutes ago, randyc said:

Someday I hope the get one of the Chryslers that isn't white or black.  Those are beautiful.  Funny that the beige 58 fury runs cheaper than yellow Belvedere.  But that Fury color is awful to me.  

There is/ was a red 1958 300 hardtop on ebay just a few days ago that was  priced pretty good. ( like well under $100 ) 

Not sure if it is still on there or not 

Wife will shoot me if I buy anything small scale ...at least for a while (Currently trying to buy a 1/1 classic. )