Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1995 Dodge Ram 2500 Promo Upgrade

This looks great. I'm not familiar with this Promo so i'm not sure what all you have added, but I like the toll box and the running boards. With the notched tail gate it looks like it's set up to tow a 5th wheel trailer. Very manly looking pick up. 

6 hours ago, espo said:

This looks great. I'm not familiar with this Promo so i'm not sure what all you have added, but I like the toll box and the running boards. With the notched tail gate it looks like it's set up to tow a 5th wheel trailer. Very manly looking pick up. 

Thanks! I should have taken a “before” picture. The whole project started when I thought “I should put some mirrors on this thing”...and it went from there.

It’s a good promo to begin with, but it lacks all trim and detail paint, like door/window trim, handles, tail light and bumper trim, etc.

I black-washed the interior. I also did black on the recessed chrome of the grille and wheels. Added rubber black paint to the bed to simulate a bedliner. I notched the tailgate, and painted it black like a custom one you’d see on these trucks before they (might) get a coat of matching paint.

Probably the biggest thing the promo lacks is side mirrors. Having to come up with those is what took me down the “dually” style towing package road in the first place. I kitbashed those from the parts box and some RB motion bolt detail.

Scratch built the running boards/mudflaps/towing electrical and added the all towing equipment from Scenes Unlimited. The cab lights and new tires are from Fireball Modelworks. The promo tires looked wimpy. The tool box is from BNL resins, with Molotow. The Rubbermaid cooler is a 3d printed item. Plain ‘ol aluminum tube for the exhaust tip.

There’s a kit of this out there, but it’s basically an unassembled promo, I don’t think it has anything more to offer, but it’s still nice.

Edited by vincen47

14 hours ago, vincen47 said:

Thanks! I should have taken a “before” picture. The whole project started when I thought “I should put some mirrors on this thing”...and it went from there.

It’s a good promo to begin with, but it lacks all trim and detail paint, like door/window trim, handles, tail light and bumper trim, etc.

I black-washed the interior. I also did black on the recessed chrome of the grille and wheels. Added rubber black paint to the bed to simulate a bedliner. I notched the tailgate, and painted it black like a custom one you’d see on these trucks before they (might) get a coat of matching paint.

Probably the biggest thing the promo lacks is side mirrors. Having to come up with those is what took me down the “dually” style towing package road in the first place. I kitbashed those from the parts box and some RB motion bolt detail.

Scratch built the running boards/mudflaps/towing electrical and added the all towing equipment from Scenes Unlimited. The cab lights and new tires are from Fireball Modelworks. The promo tires looked wimpy. The tool box is from BNL resins, with Molotow. The Rubbermaid cooler is a 3d printed item. Plain ‘ol aluminum tube for the exhaust tip.

There’s a kit of this out there, but it’s basically an unassembled promo, I don’t think it has anything more to offer, but it’s still nice.

Your description of the changes are what I sort of thought they would be. Most Promos I've seen aren't this elaborately detailed. I think your additions definitely make the appearance of this truck.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/6/2020 at 9:36 AM, lghtngyello03 said:

This looks awesome!  I love the trailer hitch.  Is it from Scenes Unlimited? If so is it the full reese hitch or just the bumper mount?

Thanks. They’re both Scenes Unlimited. I used a bumper mount posing as a full Reese hitch because there’s not much of a frame on the model to mount the full hitch to, but I still added some plastic under there to attach it and make it appear like a full one and less like a regular bumper mount hitch.

On 2/7/2020 at 10:35 PM, vincen47 said:

Thanks. They’re both Scenes Unlimited. I used a bumper mount posing as a full Reese hitch because there’s not much of a frame on the model to mount the full hitch to, but I still added some plastic under there to attach it and make it appear like a full one and less like a regular bumper mount hitch.

Thank you for the response.  It looks great! I am going to be doing a Revell Snaptite Ford Raptor as a Tow Rig and have ordered both the bumper mount, and full Reese hitch from them.

• 1 year later...

Hello vincen47!

I love this truck! You did an excellent job!!! My brother in law has this truck but the tailgate doesn’t have the the groove or notch for the trailer hookup. So I was wondering was it hard to do say for a person who had never done anything like this before? My nephew wants a model of his dad’s truck and this is pretty much spot on! I can’t believe I found this! How do I build this or could you build one for me and I pay you? Or just give we any info to help me build one. I appreciate anything you can provide me with. Thank you Audrey!

23 hours ago, Audrey said:

Hello vincen47!

I love this truck! You did an excellent job!!! My brother in law has this truck but the tailgate doesn’t have the the groove or notch for the trailer hookup. So I was wondering was it hard to do say for a person who had never done anything like this before? My nephew wants a model of his dad’s truck and this is pretty much spot on! I can’t believe I found this! How do I build this or could you build one for me and I pay you? Or just give we any info to help me build one. I appreciate anything you can provide me with. Thank you Audrey!

Thanks for the complement! This is a perfect project for someone who hasn’t done anything like this before.

You can certainly find one for your nephew, and with little to no effort and model building skills, you can replicate your brother-in law’s truck.

Unlike most models on this forum that start out as kits with lots of parts you need to assemble and paint, this model started as a promo, so it is already assembled and painted, much like a toy you’d buy from the store, ready to play, (it even has rolling wheels for play value) even though it’s an exact scale model, unlike most toys.

These Ram promotional models were made back when the real trucks were on the showroom floor, but you can still find them today on eBay or Amazon or at toy shows and swap meets. They come in a variety of factory colors. There’s a green and sliver one on Amazon right now:

92EE3F4F-3BB9-410E-84D9-CDD4DB8E473F.thumb.jpeg.0f9f1b32aff52419a53dd0ac9c58dbf7.jpeg

So, if that’s what his truck looks like, you’re all set. It comes with the normal tailgate, I modified mine with the notch. 

Depending on your nephew’s age, what’s great about the promos is they are fairly durable if they are gently played with. They don’t have much for delicate parts that can break off.

If you are looking to add some extra details to make a more exact replica like I did (the mirrors, running boards, tool box, etc.) you can also find those parts on eBay or elsewhere by searching for “1/25 scale cab lights” or “1/25 scale 5th wheel hitch”. There’s also some specific aftermarket suppliers for detail parts I can recommend, if you need. I built a few of the accessories from scratch, but everything that’s on the model is also available as a pre-made aftermarket detail part you can buy. 

Once you have those detail parts you’re looking for, you can use paint that’s safe for plastic (easily found at at your local hobby shop or a store like Hobby Lobby in the model kits section) to paint the accessory and use a small amount of hobby-safe glue (super glue works) to attach them to the model. Most of these detail parts are a single piece, so there’s not much for assembly required for the detail parts themselves, either. 

It’s a great hobby, and promos are an easy way to get started. I’m sure your nephew will love it. 

Edited by vincen47

• 6 months later...

I have a dually version of this truck as well, plus all of the parts I’m needing to convert it into a Club Cab. I just need to figure out when I want to start building mine. I turned 16 in April of ‘94, and was 19, when I graduated high school in ‘97.

• Like 1