Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya 1992 Mazda Efini RX-7

polybius

Sometimes my builds start with a color rather than starting with the car.  I'd been looking for a use for some Toyota Stellar Blue Pearl after seeing it stocked at the local auto parts store.  It was used on 4Runners and Tundras and I liked the deep blue/purple hue but felt it might look better on a car rather than a truck.  Most RX-7s of the era were seen in bright red, black, silver, yellow.. so to give this build a bit of distinction I went all-in with the Stellar Blue and forged ahead.

As can be expected with Tamiya kits, even considering this kit is more than 25 years old, everything went smoothly and fit just as it should.  It is box stock and the only modification was removal of the fender repeater lights that, in my opinion, disrupted the otherwise organic flow of the bodylines.  The kit is the JDM right-hand-drive spec, hence the Efini badging, as Mazda created unique branding for some of its domestic vehicles thoughout the 1990s.  

01112020 rx7 001.jpg

01112020 rx7 004.jpg

01112020 rx7 002.jpg

01112020 rx7 006.jpg

01112020 rx7 003.jpg

Thanks so much everyone!  Yes, it's an unusual color for trucks and years ago when I saw it on an '02 4Runner it really stuck out in my mind.  I think it worked out well on this RX-7.  I also picked up Aoshima's 'New Trend USA RX-7 R1' that I'll build sometime down the road.  It'll be interesting to compare and contrast the two.  I also came across what appears to be a rare Rosso kit.  I'd never heard of Rosso brand models and then learned the story of the company's short life.  Since I couldn't locate any photos of the Rosso kit assembled, I'm hesitant to spend that kind of money on such an obscure kit.  Regardless, thanks again and I appreciate the kind comments!