Model Cars Magazine Forum

Paint Pens for Detailing...

I'm not sure if any of you guys know about these... I get them at the Mart of Wal, they are paint pens.... they have a similar pump style tip to the Molotow markers. You can get a lot of use from them, and they only cost a couple bucks...

2140457926_paintpens001.JPG.0efc5e823fbea306a7a46ddc00074592.JPG

I used the red and silver ones to detail these rims....

1447409074_paintpens002.JPG.a13debef88c6c175a3110981fa7e74e2.JPG

You can clear over them if you want...

Thought these were worth mentioning to you fellas!

They look useful, especially for rims so I hope i can find them over here. I have some I'd like to do the same as you on and my masking sucks. I've used the gelly roller acrylic pens to do pin striping on models with some success but they only work after a light 1500 wnd. They can be clearcoated too but with them you need to clear between colours to save on smudging.

9 minutes ago, BigTallDad said:

Can you post some pics to show the size(s) of the tips?

Not trying to answer for TJ, but these are made by Elmer's and apparently come with different style tips. Looks like he has medium tip and a chisel point in the photo.

Here's one style:   https://www.walmart.com/ip/Painters-Opaque-Fine-Tip-Paint-Markers-5-Piece/16817678?athcpid=16817678&athpgid=athenaItemPage&athcgid=null&athznid=PWVUB&athieid=v0&athstid=CS004&athguid=6e6b4338-6ca-16faaaf6ded8ad&athancid=null&athena=true

8 hours ago, JollySipper said:

I'm not sure if any of you guys know about these... I get them at the Mart of Wal, they are paint pens.... they have a similar pump style tip to the Molotow markers. You can get a lot of use from them, and they only cost a couple bucks...

2140457926_paintpens001.JPG.0efc5e823fbea306a7a46ddc00074592.JPG

I used the red and silver ones to detail these rims....

1447409074_paintpens002.JPG.a13debef88c6c175a3110981fa7e74e2.JPG

You can clear over them if you want...

Thought these were worth mentioning to you fellas!

I tried one of these in white. It worked great a couple of times, and then the next time it puked white paint all over whatever it was I was trying to do. :unsure:

It is 5 am, I have not had my coffee yet, I am getting ready to go to work driving a school bus of BLAH BLAH BLAH !!!! kids.  A thought just crossed my mind.  For those who are artistic, could these be used to draw artwork on decal paper, then clear it and viola a custom decal?  Or maybe even draw custom artwork on the side/top/hood/wherever on the kit itself then clear over it?  

I have used them for several years now, in quite a few different brands, and think that they come in very useful for a lot of different things. You can buy them in almost any size tip.

Also very useful for fixing things around the house. Usually find them on the wife's hobby table. She uses them on jigsaw puzzel's, when some thing is to light for her. Also on paint by numbers when she can't find a color she likes. Oh well to each there own.

Also  I make wooden Gnomes, garden helpers and quite a few other items, and the black comes in great for out lining the different colors. I wouldn't be without them.

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...