Model Cars Magazine Forum

1963 Corvette Collection

Gramps46

I have a passion for the1963 Corvette and have been collecting 1/24th scale diecasts.

20200118_084529sm.jpg.1943e7159c7183590972d987d23271dc.jpg

Back row:

Danbury Mint convertible – Excellent 

Welly – Best value and accurate but pancake engine

Welly - Best value and accurate but pancake engine

Franklin Mint- Disappointing, but does have stock hubcaps

Franklin Mint - Fiberglass Series – Highly recommended and the best of the lot

Front Row:

Hachette – Recent release and still available but the top is a separate casting and has no opening features

Crown Premiums - Recommended

Team Caliber - Recommended

There are others available but these are the best in my opinion.  Unfortunately the Revell diecast convertible is not a good model.

Very nice! The '63 is my least favorite C2 but I seem to have accumulated a bunch of them. I have the Welly, and three copies of something less (Maisto? I forget) in red, black, and green, and a real cheap one with some sort of auto parts connection (NAPA? Again, I forget) and the no-name one Randy just sold me. 

I've also got a bunch of built plastic kits. One AMT roadster, three AMT coupes (two of them original annuals), and two each Revell snapper coupes and roadsters. 

I have the red FM regular issue with stock hubcaps.  Had a silver one but someone made too good an offer.... Hmmm anyone we know?   Lol.

I have no real passion for the 63 but still find myself looking at them from time to time when they start cheap.  

36 minutes ago, Gramps46 said:

This might give you a guess as to where my passion comes from. ?  About 1977.

1053391541_C2SWC1977_6.jpg.d8035db63a0c19b43f8fda49e34ac8b9.jpg

My FM was very cheap, like $12 because it was missing the front bumper.  But that seemed like such a common mood when I was growing up, that I have kept it like that on my model.  I don't think I've ever built that generation of Vette with a front bumper. 

Nice ride. 

I started the Snake-Fu of the ex-Randy '63 roadster today. It's marked Revell 1988 on the underside. I black-washed the hood grilles, wheels, and rocker panels. The whole front bumper/grille area is a joke, I'm gonna just lose all that probably. Gonna try to add the missing vent windows from one of the '67 Revell kits I scored CHEAP at the toy show recently for parts. They might fit, might not. 

BTW, both doors have been repainted for some reason, and the red on the doors doesn't quite match the red on the rest of the thing. Oh well, I'm still having $5 worth of fun with it. B)

50 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I started the Snake-Fu of the ex-Randy '63 roadster today. It's marked Revell 1988 on the underside. I black-washed the hood grilles, wheels, and rocker panels. The whole front bumper/grille area is a joke, I'm gonna just lose all that probably. Gonna try to add the missing vent windows from one of the '67 Revell kits I scored CHEAP at the toy show recently for parts. They might fit, might not. 

BTW, both doors have been repainted for some reason, and the red on the doors doesn't quite match the red on the rest of the thing. Oh well, I'm still having $5 worth of fun with it. B)

I think what happened was my buddy Todd tried to remove something from the doors and swirled the paint work the solvent. Or he painted over it with mismatched paint.  He admitted he had no modeling skills. 

It was in my possession to (basically) snake Fu it for his wife.  She didn't want it back so it went to you. 

I can't wait to see what you make of it.  

Edited by randyc

28 minutes ago, randyc said:

I think what happened was my buddy Todd tried to remove something from the doors and swirled the paint work the solvent. Or he painted over it with mismatched paint. 

I can't wait to see what you make of it.  

Looks like he did both. :blink:

I just noticed it already looks a lot better just with the wheels black-washed. Gonna try to find a soft up-top for it. When I get it finished, I'll post pics of it with my other C2 Vettes for comparison. 

On 1/18/2020 at 9:46 AM, Gramps46 said:

I have a passion for the1963 Corvette and have been collecting 1/24th scale diecasts.

Back row:

Danbury Mint convertible – Excellent 

Welly – Best value and accurate but pancake engine

Welly - Best value and accurate but pancake engine

Franklin Mint- Disappointing, but does have stock hubcaps

Franklin Mint - Fiberglass Series – Highly recommended and the best of the lot

Front Row:

Hachette – Recent release and still available but the top is a separate casting and has no opening features

Crown Premiums - Recommended

Team Caliber - Recommended

There are others available but these are the best in my opinion.  Unfortunately the Revell diecast convertible is not a good model.

Do they all have turbine wheels except the red FM?

I got curious about what might have been on the doors of the Revell. Google found me this: 

https://www.ebay.com/p/1501602761?iid=263283374798&chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=263283374798&targetid=857442850066&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=1018611&poi=&campaignid=8086082777&mkgroupid=86287201382&rlsatarget=pla-857442850066&abcId=1139466&merchantid=101742706&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlcHl5MGS5wIVQP7jBx2xoA65EAQYByABEgKL4_D_BwE

Which looks exactly like mine in every other respect. I found other issues of the Revell diecast for sale for as much as $40 (definitely not worth that). 

I forgot to take "Before" pics of the thing, so you'll have to take my word for how lame it was to start, but the ePay pics will give you some idea. 

Wow! In that pic, the Revell diecast looks closer to the Palmer kit (which I happen to have one of) than the AMT. 

Even after Snake-Fu, mine might end up in the box of toys for my grandsons to play with when they come. Or maybe to sit on my workbench as a "sacrificial lamb" for their visits (a strategy I've found worthwhile). :lol:

32 minutes ago, Gramps46 said:

Oops.  The promo is a Revell not an AMT.  My mistake.

So basically the Revell Snapper. I like those a LOT. In fact, I think they (and their '67 Coupe kit, but not the roadster) have the most accurate 1/25 C2 bodies ever made. 

21 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I got curious about what might have been on the doors of the Revell. Google found me this: 

https://www.ebay.com/p/1501602761?iid=263283374798&chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=263283374798&targetid=857442850066&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=1018611&poi=&campaignid=8086082777&mkgroupid=86287201382&rlsatarget=pla-857442850066&abcId=1139466&merchantid=101742706&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlcHl5MGS5wIVQP7jBx2xoA65EAQYByABEgKL4_D_BwE

Which looks exactly like mine in every other respect. I found other issues of the Revell diecast for sale for as much as $40 (definitely not worth that). 

I forgot to take "Before" pics of the thing, so you'll have to take my word for how lame it was to start, but the ePay pics will give you some idea. 

Good job finding the original.  And thanks for NOT posting pics of that thing in it's current state.  No one needs to see that.  I have a couple Sunnyside Vettes Todd used for parts for nicer cars (not a really good idea either).   I refuse to even try to sell them.  I think they are going to Goodwill or somewhere. Someone can enjoy them and they aren't cluttering up my ebay listings for $4.  I already have enough stuff that isn't selling... lol

1 hour ago, randyc said:

Good job finding the original.  And thanks for NOT posting pics of that thing in it's current state.  No one needs to see that. 

I consider it one of those projects like the frozen tundra, or the US State Department: Almost anything you could do to it would make it better. :lol:

Trying to find a red that matches it to paint the doors. It's not as bright or as red as Testor #3 but not as dark as Testor #4. Not nearly as orange as Italian Red. I just remembered I have a can of Krylon I did a Monogram '68 GTO with that might be a fairly close match. Gotta find and test it. 

If I don't find a good red to repaint the doors, no big deal, I'll just leave 'em alone. The thing's not worth any extra heartburn.