Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model Car Market

2 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

Good luck with your marketplace forum!

As an aside, you can put the disclaimer on there, but be prepared for the emails/PMs when a trade/sale goes south. You WILL be getting messages from people expecting you to step in and fix things. Happens here fairly often.

Yes, I have a friend that runs a live auction model group on Facebook that I help help admin and he also runs a group for good and bad traders in the hobby, along with other model buy and sell groups, and he gets quite a few messages on Messenger mainly from when new members have joined the group and think they are going to bid on kits and not pay. One simple rule we follow in those group there is that NOTHING gets sent until payment with the actual shipping cost is received, if payment is made by USPS money order the sender MUST send a picture of the money order within 3 days of purchase unless other arrangements are made (if you get paid on Fridays etc and can't pay in 3 days but will pay on your payday), and once the payment is received by the seller, the seller will then send the kit out with USPS tracking and give the buyer the tracking number. Those rules have kept his groups mostly trouble free and not had any of the sellers lose any money for almost 2 1/2 years with the few exceptions of new members thinking their kits might get sent before they paid for them but all they end up getting is no free models and banned from all his groups for life and a permanent spot on his bad trader list! 

4 hours ago, ewetwo said:

True Matthew. I always wait until I see the payment in my PayPal account. And I most likely loose a few sales as PayPal is the only thing I accept. I hear things about fake money orders so I won't even accept them now. 

PayPal is all I use, both buying and selling.

6 hours ago, ewetwo said:

True Matthew. I always wait until I see the payment in my PayPal account. And I most likely loose a few sales as PayPal is the only thing I accept. I hear things about fake money orders so I won't even accept them now. 

That's why in the groups my friend runs, the only money orders allowed are USPS and also why a pic of it is required prior to it being sent. 

I can also understand not wanting to take money orders at all David, but just like in my case up until a few months ago, I would not use PayPal. I had an account that I had from the mid 2000 that I probably hadn't used in 10 years, and that was because when it was last used it was linked to my girlfriend at the time and I's bank account and money had been taken out of our account and used near Detroit, MI and someone bought a new TV and some pizza on our dime. I just hope they choked on their pizza while watching their new TV we bought them, but the only thing that was linked electronically to that account at that time was PayPal, and I swore I would never have it linked to a bank account again so I never used it again. The only reason that I have started using it again, and surprisingly the account was still open, is because I seen a prepaid PayPal Mastercard at Walmart and got it so now I can have it connected to my PayPal without being connected to my personal bank account. 

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...