Model Cars Magazine Forum

AA Fuel Altered kit(s) question

Roadrunner

MPC had the "Wild Willie Borsch" '23 T and "Bantam Blast" fuel altered kits. AMT had the Double Dragster kit with an Fiat body altered, (although it was during the fuel ban). Revell had the '23 T body, Bantam body and Fiat bodies in their rare double kits. Don't recall an Anglia altered (gasser?) kit.  

Edited by magicmustang

The AMT Parts Pack T body, which has been reissued a couple times, is set up to drop right onto the Fiat frame of the Double Dragster (which has been reissued many times and is not uncommon at all). I don't see why you couldn't set up one chassis to take both bodies, Switcher-style. Come to think of it, I might do exactly that. 

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

The AMT Parts Pack T body, which has been reissued a couple times, is set up to drop right onto the Fiat frame of the Double Dragster (which has been reissued many times and is not uncommon at all). I don't see why you couldn't set up one chassis to take both bodies, Switcher-style. Come to think of it, I might do exactly that. 

That's certainly a thought. Any attempt I make at an altered is "down the road" a piece, so I actually have plenty of time.

5 hours ago, Nytrozilla said:

I think the Anglia you're thinking of might be the Skipper's Critter by Revell although it's not an altered.

Couldn't find a decent enough pic to determine it's class, but I THINK it's A/G.

Great, and thanks. I'll be seeking out something one way or the other. I have an image in mind, I'll just have to find something that's reasonably close to begin with, perhaps the AMT dual kit referenced above.

As far as I know the Anglia was not allowed in the NHRA supercharged Gas classes from 1962 to 1968 so most Anglia's was naturally aspirated and restricted to small block engines back in the day, it had to do with the short 90 inch wheelbase of the Anglia's.
NHRA allowed Big block engines in 1967 in Anglia's, and superchargers were finally allowed 1969, AHRA on the other hand allowed supercharged big block Anglia's from 1965 in their Gas classes.

5 hours ago, Force said:

As far as I know the Anglia was not allowed in the NHRA supercharged Gas classes from 1962 to 1968 so most Anglia's was naturally aspirated and restricted to small block engines back in the day, it had to do with the short 90 inch wheelbase of the Anglia's.
NHRA allowed Big block engines in 1967 in Anglia's, and superchargers were finally allowed 1969, AHRA on the other hand allowed supercharged big block Anglia's from 1965 in their Gas classes.

Excellent. Thanks for the info.

7 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

They ran the blown car under the AHRA banner until NHRA allowed it. And it was an AA/GS

I'm already thinking mine will be one of the earlier gasser designations; A/G, B/G, etc., but really have no specific knowledge about such things. I just need to figure out what the heck they're referring to regarding weights, I think. Interestingly, the kit decals have no option for gasser classifications,... none at all.

9 hours ago, Force said:

I saw a Ford Prefect Fuel Altered in the Jackson Brothers Gasser Files video now when I think about it.
It was Steve Woods car with a Nitro burning blown 392 Hemi.

SR_wings_1_1.jpg

Very cool. I don't really care much for the wing or the holes in the fender, but aside from that, this is much more like what I have in mind.

Thanks a bunch.

On 1/30/2020 at 2:20 PM, Roadrunner said:

I'm already thinking mine will be one of the earlier gasser designations; A/G, B/G, etc., but really have no specific knowledge about such things. I just need to figure out what the heck they're referring to regarding weights, I think. Interestingly, the kit decals have no option for gasser classifications,... none at all.

You need this book 

Image result for Don Montgomery gasser"

On 1/30/2020 at 9:57 AM, Daddyfink said:

They ran the blown car under the AHRA banner until NHRA allowed it. And it was an AA/GS 

10368351813_4bf7c2460c_o.jpg

And it had a Chevy engine, never an Olds.  I can't say I ever saw a picture of, or article on, any 1:1 Anglia gasser with an Olds engine.