Model Cars Magazine Forum

Johan Pro Stock Maverick question

AAFC

I just picked up a Johan Pro Stock Maverick (don't ask what I paid-too painful). I built one when they first were issued. I forgot about the chassis limitations. I am looking to kitbash a replacement chassis. Any suggestions? 

Here's a photo shot of mine after shortening the front subframe approximately 5/16" and cutting about 1/8" off of the rear of the chassis behind the fuel tank like John Pol was talking about. You've gotta shorten the chassis up front so it'll fit under the body nicely and to put the front wheels in the center of the front wheel opening.

eMV0KQ.jpg

On 2/15/2020 at 7:49 AM, AAFC said:

I just picked up a Johan Pro Stock Maverick (don't ask what I paid-too painful). I built one when they first were issued. I forgot about the chassis limitations. I am looking to kitbash a replacement chassis. Any suggestions? 

James...

I picked up one of these kits not long ago and like you won't share what I paid for it. Ouch.

Looks like there are a few Maverick projects going on here which I am following with interest. Do check them out.

Researching online (for a similar Pro Stock build)  I was only able to find this terrible scan of the 1973 chassis.

Anyone have a better version?

IMG_1123.JPG.9c5673a4acfb8fa6b9f62fdfa74eaf4a.JPG

Joe's chassis looks like the way to start, but the Mustang fuel tank is considerably wider than what I have come up

with while searching photos of Maverick's on the Web.( Also note how rear frame rails turn out wider towards the back.)

Kit tank.

DSC01370.thumb.jpg.294e11845d0f5d56e221d22d1801287d.jpg

From the Web. (Maverick Grabber)IMG_1093.JPG.4b0a09f36667e854c7d412d5a63e8910.JPG

Hope it's OK photo bombing your thread ?

You know....I should've noticed that about the fuel tank but somehow I didn't. lol. The only thing I know to do in an instance like that would be to cut both fuel tanks out and graph the Maverick fuel cell onto the Mustang chassis. Man...that....would be ALOT of work but it depends on just how accurate a builder wants to be. For me, mods that intense would also be accompanied by fuel lines, brake lines and all.  Don't get me wrong I've been known to tackle such mods in the aircraft modeling world where historical accuracy seems to be paid a little more attention to. I will say that this is good information though. Thanks for bringing that to light Kurt.

32 minutes ago, AAFC said:

How much alteration does it take? 

I haven't attempted the kit bash so I can't say what it would take to make it fit. If you send me your Maverick and I'll let you know.:D 

Moebius Mercury Comet is another donor candidate.

DSCN5997DSCN5999

Edited by afx

On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 6:49 AM, AAFC said:

I used the kit chassis, removed the molded in leafs and replaced them with separate leafs and slapper bars moved inboard with new frame rails. The Mustang fuel tank would have to be narrowed if using that chassis.

Alan

70 Maverick 1.jpg

70 Maverick 2.jpg

70 Maverick 3.jpg

On 2/19/2020 at 10:45 PM, Alan said:

I used the kit chassis, removed the molded in leafs and replaced them with separate leafs and slapper bars moved inboard with new frame rails. The Mustang fuel tank would have to be narrowed if using that chassis.

Alan

70 Maverick 1.jpg

70 Maverick 2.jpg

70 Maverick 3.jpg

Thanks to everyone for all the information. I have some decisions to make.

• 6 months later...