Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Ferrari Enzo, how does it build?

2 hours ago, afx said:

I have the Revell La Ferrari and it looks like a nice kit.  I'm not likely to build it, if you are interested in a trade let me know.

I'm really most interested in the Enzo, but I'll certainly give your offer some thought. Thanks a bunch.

I had the good luck to build one of the first ones from Tamiya.  It is like any other Tamiya kit.  It goes together with perfection and is very rewarding. If you go with the Tamiya kit, one caution.  Sand down the edges of the opening panels just a bit.  In raw plastic they fit together perfectly.  However add a couple of coats of paint and the perfect fit is too tight.  Just a light touch with a sanding stick on the door edges and rear panel and you are home free!

10 minutes ago, Pete J. said:

I had the good luck to build one of the first ones from Tamiya.  It is like any other Tamiya kit.  It goes together with perfection and is very rewarding. If you go with the Tamiya kit, one caution.  Sand down the edges of the opening panels just a bit.  In raw plastic they fit together perfectly.  However add a couple of coats of paint and the perfect fit is too tight.  Just a light touch with a sanding stick on the door edges and rear panel and you are home free!

Excellent. Thanks very much. At this point, I'm leaning a bit toward the Tamiya kit.

2 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Excellent. Thanks very much. At this point, I'm leaning a bit toward the Tamiya kit.

Just a note of history on this model.  This is the first car model made by Tamiya that made extensive use of CNC(electrostatic discharge machines) mold cutting and sliding mold technology. This tech has become the standard method but back then is was revolutionary.  This is why everything fits together so well.

I built the Revell kit a number of years ago as a Christmas gift to my son.  He was around 8 at the time.  He really liked it.  I remember construction being a little fiddly, but when it was done, I thought it looked good.

image.png.78e1c148492db19f95b8da8fecf65cf7.png

image.png.2e9ce73f036dbe46ac18ed2ca72687ef.png

24 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Certainly some things to ponder here. The Revell kit is half the price of the Tamiya version, so I may just snatch the Revell kit first, then the Tamiya, if the Revell doesn't meet expectations.

Then you will end up spending more than what the Tamiya kit costs.  Why not just go for the best (unless you enjoy building model of the same car twice). :)

One thing is for sure - with this type of thinking we sure can't call you "cheap modeler". Actually, go ahead buy and build them both.  Then you can give  everybody an honest opinion about which is better.

6 minutes ago, peteski said:

Then you will end up spending more than what the Tamiya kit costs.  Why not just go for the best (unless you enjoy building model of the same car twice). :)

One thing is for sure - with this type of thinking we sure can't call you "cheap modeler". Actually, go ahead buy and build them both.  Then you can give  everybody an honest opinion about which is better.

I still have plenty of time to make up my mind, that's for certain.

On 3/9/2020 at 12:23 AM, Pete J. said:

Just a note of history on this model.  This is the first car model made by Tamiya that made extensive use of CNC(electrostatic discharge machines) mold cutting and sliding mold technology. This tech has become the standard method but back then is was revolutionary.  This is why everything fits together so well.

That I did not know. Thanks. Tamiya certainly has a history of setting the bar high, that's for sure. I've heard of spark erosion, if that's the process you're referring to, and that's fairly common today with a lot of manufacturers, apparently.

You can see what the Tamiya version is like here:

http://www.italianhorses.net/Gallery/Tamiya/TamSMSEnzo/enzo.htm

http://www.italianhorses.net/Gallery/Tamiya/TamEnzo/enzo.htm

Alex is a regular poster here, though not so much lately. Although these builds both use detailing sets, there's a lot of information about the out of the box kit as well...

His database is a must visit if you are considering buying a Ferrari kit (or a kit of any specific Ferrari...)

http://www.italianhorses.net/DB/F50-F430.htm#Enzo Ferrari

All the best,

M.

5 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

I just discovered last night that Tamiya also does a 1:12 Enzo, but it's way out of my league, price-wise. Darn shame, as that would make a great looking presentation.

I have one, but don't recommend it.  First because it is over $650.  But, It is basically the Masterworks built model  before it is glued up at that factory.  This was designed for factory assembly and is a simplified version of the 1:24 scale kit.  I actually think the 1:24 kit has better detail.  A lot of money for a kit that is going to require a lot of work to make a great model. 

2 minutes ago, Pete J. said:

I have one, but don't recommend it.  First because it is over $650.  But, It is basically the Masterworks built model  before it is glued up at that factory.  This was designed for factory assembly and is a simplified version of the 1:24 scale kit.  I actually think the 1:24 kit has better detail.  A lot of money for a kit that is going to require a lot of work to make a great model. 

I understand. One look at the prices I was seeing, and I knew it wasn't for me.

One other thought.  Scale Motorsport made a super detail set for the Enzo that has turned aluminum dampers and accumulators as well as photo etched, carbon fiber decals and an "Up close and Mechanical" CD with all the reference you would ever need.  You can still find them on ebay occasionally. 

image.jpeg.b8540d603a5ab27f49d5df844ffc235a.jpeg

Edited by Pete J.

14 minutes ago, Pete J. said:

One other thought.  Scale Motorsport made a super detail set for the Enzo that has turned aluminum dampers and accumulators as well as photo etched, carbon fiber decals and an "Up close and Mechanical" CD with all the reference you would ever need.  You can still find them on ebay occasionally. 

image.jpeg.b8540d603a5ab27f49d5df844ffc235a.jpeg

Excellent. I may have to look into that. I also noticed that Tamiya sells its own detail set, but I've not seen it separately from the kit.

52 minutes ago, fumi said:

Comparison of Tamiya, Fujimi and Revell Enzo:

http://modelcarshirobom.syanari.com/033-enzo/comparison.html

It is all in Japanese but even if you cannot read it, there are some photo comparisons.  The general photo layout is Tamiya-Fujimi-Revell from left to right, or top to bottom.

Wow!  Seeing the Revell and Tamiya kit parts next to each other shows just how much softer the Revell's engraving is.  Excellent find Silvester.