Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anyone use Vallejo Metal Colors

I think it was Genesis Models who did a review on these ( available to see at youtube and also Flory models). He went in with low expectations but by the end of the review was quite pleased to say they seemed to work well. I don't own any myself though.

Edited by Dave G.

1 hour ago, Dave G. said:

I think it was Genesis Models who did a review on these ( available to see at youtube and also Flory models). He went in with low expectations but by the end of the review was quite pleased to say they seemed to work well. I don't own any myself though.

Thanks Dave, I'm going to check that video out.  I might have to try a bottle or two of the Velajo Metallic paint to compare.  I have an order of paints coming.. I got AK chrome because I hear it is better than Alclad.  I also got some Tamiya metallic acrylic paint because it looks good online as well as MM Lacquer metallizers and Mr. Color.  I should know what is best after I try all these.  It would be nice if I could use Valejo for everything because it is the least stinky.. if I can only make it shiney too without stink.  I've got all these paints coming from Scalehobbyist..  wish I would have got the Vallejo with the order but didn't know about them at the time... they seem to have the best selection and price from what I have found: https://www.scalehobbyist.com/catagories/Paint_and_Construction/browse.php?s=3&t=1&u=1

Edited by jchrisf

15 hours ago, jchrisf said:

Thanks Dave, I'm going to check that video out.  I might have to try a bottle or two of the Velajo Metallic paint to compare.  I have an order of paints coming.. I got AK chrome because I hear it is better than Alclad.  I also got some Tamiya metallic acrylic paint because it looks good online as well as MM Lacquer metallizers and Mr. Color.  I should know what is best after I try all these.  It would be nice if I could use Valejo for everything because it is the least stinky.. if I can only make it shiney too without stink.  I've got all these paints coming from Scalehobbyist..  wish I would have got the Vallejo with the order but didn't know about them at the time... they seem to have the best selection and price from what I have found: https://www.scalehobbyist.com/catagories/Paint_and_Construction/browse.php?s=3&t=1&u=1

I mostly use MM Metalizer paints, especially for aluminum and such. But I went to Molotow for chrome. If you're looking for chrome I think it's Molotow or Alklad will be the winners there. But the MM Metalizer buffing series is awesome for other raw metal looks. When you buff them you get the specular inner tones and such of real metals imo. I use the aluminum plate buffing color a lot.

You know what's tough to find is a really good copper, you would think it should be easy. well I'm still looking !! And still just going back to plain old Testors enamel for copper.

Flory did a review of the AK extreme metal and I think he concluded their Stainless steel was a good stand in for chrome, better than the AK chrome . And he liked several others as well.

13 hours ago, El Roberto said:

They work OK, nothing to get excited about.  I thing the Model Master metallics look better, but then you might not be able to put up with the odor.  

40 minutes ago, Dave G. said:

I mostly use MM Metalizer paints, especially for aluminum and such. But I went to Molotow for chrome. If you're looking for chrome I think it's Molotow or Alklad will be the winners there. But the MM Metalizer buffing series is awesome for other raw metal looks. When you buff them you get the specular inner tones and such of real metals imo. I use the aluminum plate buffing color a lot.

You know what's tough to find is a really good copper, you would think it should be easy. well I'm still looking !! And still just going back to plain old Testors enamel for copper.

Flory did a review of the AK extreme metal and I think he concluded their Stainless steel was a good stand in for chrome, better than the AK chrome . And he liked several others as well.

I guess I'll have to try several different brands to see what I like the best. I definitely won't compromise quality for odor.. I'll just have to be more careful when I use them.

2 minutes ago, jchrisf said:

I guess I'll have to try several different brands to see what I like the best. I definitely won't compromise quality for odor.. I'll just have to be more careful when I use them.

MM Metalizer has a pretty strong odor but it doesn't linger long and it dries fast. You've got to keep them stirred up and keep the lid on the bottles as much as you can because they evaporate quickly. When airbrushing, swish the cup around often so the metal doesn't settle.

1 hour ago, Dave G. said:

MM Metalizer has a pretty strong odor but it doesn't linger long and it dries fast. You've got to keep them stirred up and keep the lid on the bottles as much as you can because they evaporate quickly. When airbrushing, swish the cup around often so the metal doesn't settle.

Thanks Dave, I picked up several of these last week and will give them a try soon.  I saw a video where Andy X created a special lid for his Paasche H that would fit right into these bottles with minimal waste.  I've got an extra lid so I may have to try it.. or I'll just put a little in the cup of my Iwata Neo

2 minutes ago, John Pol said:

Don`t like them I use Ak extreme metal more durable that they are no need for black under it ever

Good to know John... many of the European modelers I follow on YT use AK paints.. I needed a chrome and ordered AK's extreme chrome.  I'll have to pick up some other colors soon.

I just found @David Thibodeau's YT.. it's fairly new for anyone who wants to learn from one of the masters.  That led me to his FB page and then again to @ClayK Kemp's FB page.. looks like they are using Mission Models acrylics.  Dave did a cool trick to get an aluminum finish on this video.  Saw you posted there @John Pol.  Many options to choose from...

Edited by jchrisf

I've found they work great as long as you don't use the recommended primer. Don't know how they would be for a shiny, new finish or chrome, but for a used finish I find them great. Just started into car models, primarily aircraft for a long time. Did this with the Vallejo Metal Colors.

2EAyiT.jpg

Eixj5J.jpg

Don

Most recent Revell P-51D Mustang in 1/32 is a good kit to start with. Easy to assemble, good fit, very reasonable price and availability, good size if your all thumbs...there are others in different scales/manufacturers, but the mustang would be my first choice. HTH

Don

22 hours ago, jchrisf said:

I just found @David Thibodeau's YT.. it's fairly new for anyone who wants to learn from one of the masters.  That led me to his FB page and then again to @ClayK Kemp's FB page.. looks like they are using Mission Models acrylics.  Dave did a cool trick to get an aluminum finish on this video.  Saw you posted there @John Pol.  Many options to choose from...

Not to second guess the guy. But I feel like he could have use MM Aluminum Buffing Metalizer and would have achieved a better look. Probably not as durable though.

The vallejo metallic paints are pretty impressive. Their chrome I wouldn't say is on par with an Alclad applications. But their other metal colors are very nice and super in scale in terms of flake. I wonder if they can withstand a lacquer clear coat so they could be used as a silver paint for car bodies.

On 3/21/2020 at 8:12 AM, Dave G. said:

If you can find it, SnJ Copper is probably the best one out there. This is straight out of the bottle, and without using the buffing powders.

6678FEE5-365A-477F-8439-A6F427FE22CD.jpeg