Model Cars Magazine Forum

Spray Paint choices

I just recently got back into building and had a question regarding sources for "rattle can" paints.  My supply sources are scarce, especially with the Hobby Shop and Craft Store being closed due to the virus.  I was able to spray a primer coat with some Model Masters Flat Gull Gray but wanted to know if either Krylon or Rustoleum would work with the paint?  I figured if they were good options I would hit Walmart or Lowes and pick up what I need.  If not, then I will have to wait it out and build what I can and have a massive paint day later this year.

Thanks

The best way to see would be to spray some of your Testor Gull Gray on a plastic spoon (or a junk body, or the underside of an interior tub, top of a chassis, etc.), let it dry a few days, then spray your Krylon or Rustoleum on it and see what happens. (While you're at Walmart you can pick up a box of plastic spoons and have plenty of test specimens.) 

I've heard Rustoleum is hot but haven't used it much so can't really comment on it. Some Krylon seems to be okay, some not. Test, test test! 

42 minutes ago, mgreco53 said:

I just recently got back into building and had a question regarding sources for "rattle can" paints.  My supply sources are scarce, especially with the Hobby Shop and Craft Store being closed due to the virus.  I was able to spray a primer coat with some Model Masters Flat Gull Gray but wanted to know if either Krylon or Rustoleum would work with the paint?  I figured if they were good options I would hit Walmart or Lowes and pick up what I need.  If not, then I will have to wait it out and build what I can and have a massive paint day later this year.

Thanks

https://www.scalehobbyist.com/catagories/Paint_and_Construction/browse.php?s=3&t=1&u=1

I've never had success spraying Krylon or Rustoleum over Testors, it wrinkles almost immediately. They also seem to etch the surface of the plastic badly too. I had to strip some pieces of a beetle I painted with Krylon Fusion and the surface of the plastic was so pebbly I almost had to throw them away.

Krylon is hit and miss - for me, mostly miss. 
Also you can do a lot of reading as this topic comes up quite often:

site:modelcarsmag.com krylon paint

Plug that into the Google machine and you will get a list of all the threads dealing with Krylon paint and probably some good ideas too. 

Edited by Erik Smith

You will usually be safer using an automotive primer (likely lacquer) with your choice of top coats than using a flat hobby paint (likely enamel) and rolling the dice. I would suggest saving hobby enamel for use with other hobby enamels from the same paint line only.

As others have mentioned, test. Test on plastic spoons for compatibility between primer and base coats.Test the kit plastic for compatibility with the primer- some of the newer kits have plastic that reacts to lacquer primers, and to complicate matters, there are kits from years ago that suffer the same problem. I would keep all primer coats to light mist coats, building up coverage over time with sufficient time for the coats to gas out, to avoid etching the kit plastic. Once you have a good primer base, sand & smooth out problem areas. Wait for things to fully dry out before adding color coats, to avoid trapping solvents that can attack plastic and affect your finish. A good lacquer automotive primer will shrink when fully cured, can be smoothed out, and will stand up to most paints you want to use for color.

1 hour ago, Fat Brian said:

I had to strip some pieces of a beetle I painted with Krylon Fusion and the surface of the plastic was so pebbly I almost had to throw them away.

Not surpising. Krylon Fusion is MADE to "dig into" and permanently bond with plastic. 

It ought to have a picture of a model car in a red bar/circle thingie right on the label. :lol:

14 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Not surpising. Krylon Fusion is MADE to "dig into" and permanently bond with plastic. 

It ought to have a picture of a model car in a red bar/circle thingie right on the label. :lol:

Yeah, I think it was designed for patio furniture.?

2 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

I've never had success spraying Krylon or Rustoleum over Testors, it wrinkles almost immediately. They also seem to etch the surface of the plastic badly too. I had to strip some pieces of a beetle I painted with Krylon Fusion and the surface of the plastic was so pebbly I almost had to throw them away.

Krylon Fusion is known to attack styrene. It was made for plastics like lawn furniture etc.

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

17 minutes ago, 935k3 said:

Krylon Fusion is known to attack styrene. It was made for plastics like lawn furniture etc.

Yeah, I won't be using it again. I was stumped for a color for a beetle and asked my wife to grab a can of whatever color she liked at Walmart. It stripped surprisingly easy for something that's supposed to bond to plastic, a few hours in LA's Totally Awesome and it was gone but it looked like you dipped the part in acetone. The finish came out pretty good though, it dries really hard so it doesn't get goopy feeling if you handle it a bit.

20200328_120043.jpg.cc8000832696062b49c8e1936a9b1095.jpg