Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Mustang Mach 1 Testors kit

cobraman

I wanted this one because the one I built a month or so ago ( pro street version ) had such a great paint job . This one while ok is not as good . These are part of the Ultra Detail series . I did paint some parts and added carpet . 

D6AC3CF0-BE91-4053-BBA7-0624125FECE2.jpeg

59DBA5D2-3A9C-42FC-A36D-D436C01F1573.jpeg

0CB047F5-F66A-4DB8-A55A-6634CACC99AB.jpeg

4307FADE-1BE8-4E96-968F-F992A3B8F722.jpeg

0A2DEE89-130E-45D3-A876-FEDF8485C370.jpeg

Edited by cobraman
wrong scale

Looking good Cobraman.  I think you are beginning to like the 71-73 Mustangs.  All of these are a restomod in a way since the Boss 429 engine was only available in 69-70 Mustangs even though those years had a smaller engine compartment.  FYI - the title says 1/18 but these are 1/25 scale based on the old MPC kit (but recast in metal of course and the body is prepainted).

2 hours ago, randyc said:

Looks great to me.  I know it has some issues, but my reference is my memory.   So it's right on according to my memory.   Love that color scheme.

Engine aside it's a hybrid 72/73.  I say this because the side stripes and grille are for a 72, but the larger bumper, chrome around the headlights and the stripe on the trunk are unique to a 73. I'm not sure if those style hubcaps were available in 73 - they first appeared in 70.  I know - only the purists care. ?

Looks good! I like it better than the Pro Street one. 

I have a black one, but will keep my eye out for a blue or silver one at the local toy show. I have ZERO interest in building a plastic model of this car, but a decent cheap diecast is always welcome on the shelf. 

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

Looks good! I like it better than the Pro Street one. 

I have a black one, but will keep my eye out for a blue or silver one at the local toy show. I have ZERO interest in building a plastic model of this car, but a decent cheap diecast is always welcome on the shelf. 

No love for the best kits ever?  ?. You might consider the Motormax diecast for some SnakeFu magic.  It's the red one in the back row next to three Testors ones.  The front row are AMT and MPC.  I also have a green Motormax sportsroof and the Danbury Mint Boss 351 and blue Mach1 which put everything else to share.  Also not pictured are some Japanese kits (with no engine of course).

IMG_7427.JPG

IMG_7428.JPG

1 hour ago, vamach1 said:

No love for the best kits ever?  ?. You might consider the Motormax diecast for some SnakeFu magic. 

No love, sorry. I have a blue one that I think is a Motormax. Since then I've seen other colors of it at Walmart (maybe red).  

71MustangAfter.jpg.7641516522b4c0649046a2fe2a82e1fe.jpg

12 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

No love, sorry. I have a blue one that I think is a Motormax. Since then I've seen other colors of it at Walmart (maybe red).  

71MustangAfter.jpg.7641516522b4c0649046a2fe2a82e1fe.jpg

A wheels swap would make sense on this diecast.  Also, a repaint ang grille swap and you could make an Eleanor since it has the flat hood.

1 hour ago, vamach1 said:

A wheels swap would make sense on this diecast.  Also, a repaint ang grille swap and you could make an Eleanor since it has the flat hood.

The wheels are the prettiest thing about this pig. Repaint? Grille swap? Please. :rolleyes: And I've never seen an Eleanor movie so I'm not a fanboy. :lol:

13 hours ago, Snake45 said:

The wheels are the prettiest thing about this pig. Repaint? Grille swap? Please. :rolleyes: And I've never seen an Eleanor movie so I'm not a fanboy. :lol:

The movie was pretty bad but "eleanor" is one of top recognizable tv/movie cars of all time.  I guess I am partial to yellow 71-73 Mustangs.  Mine is the top picture.

I will admit I did not see it in the theatre - I was a sophomore in high school around that time.

IMG_7151.JPG

IMG_7089.JPG

IMG_7441.PNG

Edited by vamach1

21 hours ago, vamach1 said:

Engine aside it's a hybrid 72/73.  I say this because the side stripes and grille are for a 72, but the larger bumper, chrome around the headlights and the stripe on the trunk are unique to a 73. I'm not sure if those style hubcaps were available in 73 - they first appeared in 70.  I know - only the purists care. ?

I have read your reviews of the various kits over the years and I know you know your stuff on Mach1s.   And as you say, there are some cars that only purists will notice the differeces.  My car is the 71 Dart.   And then the other variations of the Dart/Demon/Duster/Valiant. 

But these Mach1s look like the Mach1 that was almost my first car - my only experience with them personally.   Till my uncle told my mom what the Mach1 was.  lol   So I ended up with 73 GrandPrix with 400/4bb/duals (442?)  It would do a one  wheel peel burnout as long as you stayed in it.   But that was the better choice?  LOL

2 hours ago, randyc said:

I have read your reviews of the various kits over the years and I know you know your stuff on Mach1s.   And as you say, there are some cars that only purists will notice the differeces.  My car is the 71 Dart.   And then the other variations of the Dart/Demon/Duster/Valiant. 

But these Mach1s look like the Mach1 that was almost my first car - my only experience with them personally.   Till my uncle told my mom what the Mach1 was.  lol   So I ended up with 73 GrandPrix with 400/4bb/duals (442?)  It would do a one  wheel peel burnout as long as you stayed in it.   But that was the better choice?  LOL

Thanks Randy.  If Testors did their homework they would known that the 73 bumper is about twice as large as the 71/72.  If it was a separate piece like in plastic kit it could be swapped with one from a kit or a resin replacement.  They could have also put on the 73 stripes (which are a little wider) or let the "builder" put on their own decals.  I think they were going for the average person and wanted to make it look nice in the packaging  (which it does) and were not too concerned about 100% accuracy.  As I have said before, the paint on these is very nice and they do a fabulous job on the hood if it wasn't for those darn vents carrived over from the MPC kit.  Here's the DM diecast which is the gold standard as far as being the most accurate 71 Mustang model.

IMG_7417.PNG

IMG_7418.PNG

IMG_7444.JPG

IMG_7445.JPG

IMG_7446.JPG

IMG_7447.JPG

IMG_7448.JPG