Model Cars Magazine Forum

1964 Ford Fairlane Sport Coupe

mrmike

This afternoon, I was looking around Facebook and I saw a name I haven't seen in a long while.  His name is Erik.  I investigated the name and it was the friend I had lost contact with many years ago.  I had bought this kit off of him years ago and he was going to build it as a 289 CI powered Sport Coupe.  His plan was to paint it Wimbleton White with a red interior and I liked the plan.  But, I made a few changes to that plan.  Instead of steel wheels and hubcaps, I'm going with a set of Ford Styled Steel Wheels and whitewall tires.  I filled the cutouts for the drag slicks on the rear fenders.  I will use a dual exhaust system from the AMT '62 Thunderbird.  Let's see what I can do with this kit...

More Fairlane to come...

Fairlane01.JPG

Fairlane02.JPG

Fairlane03.JPG

Edited by mrmike

Thanks guys!

8 hours ago, Erik Smith said:

I like the plan Mike. 
Have you built one of these kits before? It’s been years for me...but I think some have an issue with the windshield fit along the top of the frame - maybe one area with a large gap on one corner or something. 

I built one over twenty years ago as a street/drag car.  I never had an issue with the windshield at all.  The windshield was a perfect fit for me.  

8 hours ago, Erik Smith said:

I like the plan Mike. 
Have you built one of these kits before? It’s been years for me...but I think some have an issue with the windshield fit along the top of the frame - maybe one area with a large gap on one corner or something. 

Hi I have 8 or 9 of these kits I use the guts for some resin projects and also built a few the ones with this box and the dog dish caps everything fits great it's the ones made only with the Drag build there is a problem with the roof in the front and the front glass does not fit right but this one your good I have 6 like this one and no fit problems.!

3 hours ago, Scott8950 said:

Does that kit come with a smallblock?

No.  It only comes with a 427 big block engine.

4 hours ago, rickcaps55 said:

Hi I have 8 or 9 of these kits I use the guts for some resin projects and also built a few the ones with this box and the dog dish caps everything fits great it's the ones made only with the Drag build there is a problem with the roof in the front and the front glass does not fit right but this one your good I have 6 like this one and no fit problems.!

It seems that at one time there was a problem with the windshield fitment.  I have not encountered that issue in any of these kits that I have built.

Interesting.
But you can't do a Sports Coupe with the Revell kit wich originally was a Thunderbolt (thus the 427 Hi-Riser, Bostrom front seats and slicks).
The Sports Coupe is a Hard Top and this kit is a Post Sedan, the roof line and rear window are completely different between the two and the Sports Coupe has bucket seats and a center console wich the Sedan didn't have, the Sports Coupe also has more chrome trim as it was "top of the line".
AMT did a 1964 Fairlane 500 Sports Coupe as an "annual" back in 1964 and it's the only kit out there.
I used to own a 1964 Fairlane 500 Sports Coupe wich I bought back in 2004, I sold it about 4 years ago when I got the 1963½ Galaxie 500XL Fastback I have now.

Edited by Force

20 hours ago, Force said:

Interesting.
But you can't do a Sports Coupe with the Revell kit wich originally was a Thunderbolt (thus the 427 Hi-Riser, Bostrom front seats and slicks).
The Sports Coupe is a Hard Top and this kit is a Post Sedan, the roof line and rear window are completely different between the two and the Sports Coupe has bucket seats and a center console wich the Sedan didn't have, the Sports Coupe also has more chrome trim as it was "top of the line".
AMT did a 1964 Fairlane 500 Sports Coupe as an "annual" back in 1964 and it's the only kit out there.
I used to own a 1964 Fairlane 500 Sports Coupe wich I bought back in 2004, I sold it about 4 years ago when I got the 1963½ Galaxie 500XL Fastback I have now.

To me, this is a Sport Coupe and to look at the two cars side by side, it is a little difficult to tell the difference.  I went and changed the thread title a couple of times and now I am going to leave it as "Sport Coupe".  This is what I believe and desire to have this kit built as.  

Well you do as you like, it's your model.

I used to own a 500 Sports Coupe myself for 12 years as I said so I know all the differences and they are quite visible if you see a 2d Post Sedan and a Hard Top/Sports Coupe side by side.
The Hard Top/Sports Coupe roof is both lower and shorter than the 2d Post Sedan roof, the wind shield is slightly more slanted backwards and has more chrome around it than the Sedan, the Sports Coupe also has more chrome overall as it was the "top of the line" model of the Fairlane.

Here are a few pictures, the blue car is a 2d Post Sedan and the white car is a 2d Hard Top Sports Coupe.

The rear window on the 2d Sedan

1676341146.jpg

Rear window on Hard Top and Sports Coupe1851297-1964-ford-fairlane-500-sport-cou

2d Sedan side view

1676341258.jpg

Side view of the Sports Coupe, notice the wider trim after the side intake behind the door and the more slanted A-pillar and wind shield with more chrome trim and the side windows are also different.1851343-1964-ford-fairlane-500-sport-cou

The rear part of the roof on the 2d Sedan, look at the panel between the rear window and the trunk lid...it's quite short and the the rear window/C-pillar is straight.

1676341226.jpg

The panel between the trunk lid and rear window is much wider on the Hard Top/Sports Coupe and the upper part of the C-pillar is curved at the top, the trim on the bottom of the C-pillar is also much wider.1851350-1964-ford-fairlane-500-sport-cou

The regular hood for all models except Sports Coupe

1676341231.jpg

Hood with a fake chrome intake...Sports Coupe only.

126705_fd206ebb608ced0e.jpg

Edited by Force

Sports Coupes are very nice indeed, and somewhat pricey in the market. Ford also produced a hardtop coupe that was just a Fairlane 500, and these are more common and affordable but have the same sporty roofline as the Sports Coupe. Modifying the roof of the 2 door sedan to hardtop specs would be a neat project, and a take on this kit not seen before. The roof from the AMT '65 Fairlane modified stocker kit would be a natural swap, as the '63-'65 HT Fairlanes used the same roof.

You're absoultely right, the Sports Coupe was just a more expensive 500 Hard Top with a bit more "bling".
The 65 Modified Stocker is a lot easier to find and a lot cheaper than the old 63-64 annual kits and It's for sure possible to change out the roof on the Revell kit and replace it with the AMT 65 Modified Stocker roof to do a B-pillar less Hard Top, the chrome trim on the C-pillar is different on the 65 but the roof line is right.
Then you have the interior to fix if you want to do a correct 500 Sports Coupe as it had bucket seats, center console (same console as the 62-64 500XL Galaxies) and de luxe crushed vinyl upholstery, the regular 500 had a front bench seat or bucket seats (no center console in the 500 Hard Top) with less luxurious vinyl upholstery and the cheaper models had bench seats with vinyl and fabric upholstery.

Edited by Force

Force, I appreciate the information you have passed on, but this is my build.  I am free to build it my way.  Ford has named their Fairlane the Sports Coupe.  Mine is the Sport Coupe and while it is not 100% correct, it is still my build and I would like it very much if you wouldn't tell me how to build or name my model.

Of course, you can do whatever you like, it doesn't bother me.
Ford did name one of the Fairlane models Sports Coupe, not all of them and it's equally wrong to call all 1964 Fairlanes Thunderbolt just because one of them was called that.
 I just wanted to give out the correct information so people who don't know this will in the future.

Edited by Force

I started on basic engine assembly and paint detailed the parts to go with it.  I have drilled out the distributor for plug wires.  I've completed the 289 CI engine and I have painted the wheels and have assembled them with whitewall tires from the Moebius '65 Satellite.

More Fairlane to come...

Fairlane09.JPG

Fairlane08.JPG

Fairlane07.JPG

Fairlane06.JPG

Fairlane05.JPG

Fairlane04.JPG

Edited by mrmike

I found an exhaust system that will fix my needs for this model.  It comes from the AMT '62 Thunderbird and it was given to me last year by the late Barry Fadden.  I added the second half of the rear axle housing.  The rear axle assembly is made for the 427 CI engine, but I'll use it here.  I added the wheel backings, but I noticed the different lengths of the hubs.  I'll add these last to get the correct axle widths.

More Fairlane to come...

Fairlane10.JPG

Fairlane11.JPG

Fairlane12.JPG

I've been painting some parts this morning with Tamiya X-18 Semi Gloss Black.  I thought I had lost an entire sprue with the dash board on it, but I found it off to the side of the box on the floor.  I painted the front and rear shock/coil spring assembly, but they may be replaced with some simple shocks in the rear.

More Fairlane to come...

Fairlane13.JPG

Fairlane14.JPG

Fairlane15.JPG

I have painted the interior with Model Master Insignia Red with my Badger Universal 360 Airbrush.  I drew the silver stripes on the seats with my Molotow Liquid Chrome 1mm pen.  After looking at some pictures of a Fairlane interior, I remembered having a console from the AMT '62 Thunderbird.  A little sanding and I added it to the interior.  More interior parts ready for a coating of Semi Gloss Clear.  The Dash has been detailed with silver and gauge decals.  I detailed the front and rear panels and the shifter.

More Fairlane to come...

Fairlane16.JPG

Fairlane17.JPG

Fairlane18.JPG

On 4/1/2020 at 2:11 PM, Maindrian Pace said:

Sports Coupes are very nice indeed, and somewhat pricey in the market. Ford also produced a hardtop coupe that was just a Fairlane 500, and these are more common and affordable but have the same sporty roofline as the Sports Coupe. Modifying the roof of the 2 door sedan to hardtop specs would be a neat project, and a take on this kit not seen before. The roof from the AMT '65 Fairlane modified stocker kit would be a natural swap, as the '63-'65 HT Fairlanes used the same roof.

AMT made a '64 Sports Coupe. I came across a couple while doing research for my '63. IIRC, they were both promos. It's next on my acquire/build list. I also want to turn a '63 Sports Coupe into a sedan and build a replica of one my older brother had back in the day.

I have finished the front grille and rear panel of the Fairlane.  I am almost finished with the chassis.    I need to make a set of shock absorbers since the set I found are way too long.

More Fairlane to come...

Fairlane19.JPG

Fairlane20.JPG

Fairlane21.JPG

The interior has been assembled.  I glued the wheels and tires on so the Fairlane wouldn't roll and I made a pair of shock absorbers for the rear suspension with some 1/8th inch tube and 1/16th inch rod and painted them gloss yellow.

More Fairlane to come...

Fairlane22.JPG

Fairlane23.JPG

Fairlane24.JPG