Model Cars Magazine Forum

This looks like a car that was in Hot Rod or Rod & Custom around '57 or '58. This was just a one or two year old car at the time and it wasn't worth near what it is today. This is an acquired taste paint work, but he looks proud of it. I want to say the paint work was credited to Von Dutch but I'm not 100 % on that. Isn't that cute his shirt even matches the paint work.     

Keep this in mind.  This was done back with this was just another old car, maybe worth a grand or two tops.  Here is something else from the same era.  An old car painted up to the owners taste.  Now granted the celebrity ownership probably make this stupid ridiculous today, but both cars stripped down and restored would have radically differant values today.  One would be worth a ton, the other one, the restoration would totally destroy the value.

1-19.jpg?iv=120

Almost as bad as the paint is the horrible nerf bar (or is it a clothes drying rack?) stuck on the front of that poor old Mercedes.

As for Lennon's Rolls, that is properly fabulous and I'd own that like a shot! 

Edited by DonW

1 hour ago, DonW said:

Almost as bad as the paint is the horrible nerf bar (or is it a clothes drying rack?) stuck on the front of that poor old Mercedes.

As for Lennon's Rolls, that is properly fabulous and I'd own that like a shot! 

My point was more about restored to the way they came from the factory.  Gull wing in a perfectly restored condition is a $6 million dollar car and a fully restored Phantom V is worth less than $100,000(two sold on Bring a Trailer in the last two years for a high of $88,000.  Not sure a von dutch paint job would add anything to a fully restored 'benz.