Model Cars Magazine Forum

55 Nomad delivery street Gasser (On the bench)

Gumball

This is just a redo of an already existing kit. It's not exactly much or a restoral vs an overhaul. The 55 is all ready assembled, with all ready previous modifications like some nice wheels and what a massive hole in the hood. The idea is to overhaul it into more of a proper dragster, perhaps with a tubular flip front end, a nice big supercharger, some tubs, and most importantly some slicks to go with the tubs. Im currently snooping around for some good slicks and dragster parts, I'm considering looking online for some parts but as per usual I'll probably end up resorting to snooping around my house because I'm way to cheap. 

15867377142911658263892.jpg

15867377394101818485108.jpg

15867377621591159037186.jpg

Edited by Gumball

2 hours ago, DonW said:

Well the original builder was clearly committed to his madness. Good luck in getting it apart! 

Don't worry my freind I have gotten it apart! It also came with some custom fur carpeting inside it. I have also gotten my hands on some F1 slicks I can use on the kit. I'm stuck with the paint, I was thinking about doing it beige, with a primer grey flip front. I think it would go well with the all ready red engine. Although someone mentioned to me that it would look great completely primer grey with some kind of vibrant stripe. 

1586794125226654792343.jpg

15867942050911390411879.jpg

1586794395266388894154.jpg

15867944114851037027136.jpg

Edited by Gumball

3 hours ago, Scott8950 said:

First thing i noticed too ?

yeah its kinda weird, although the original box art for the kit shows the turbo almost the exact same way

1955 Chevy Bel Air Convertible (1/16) (fs)

the turbo is super cool and all, but i'm probably going to end up not using it due to my plans for some supercharged velocity stacks.

Actually forget that, perhaps i can figure out a way to accommodate both the turbo and the supercharger together while allowing velocity carbs above that. i'm just trying to figure out how that would all work the way i'm thinking it, perhaps for now ill save the turbo for another future project.

Edited by Gumball

I love gassers so I will watch what you do with this one.  You might want to move the battery from in front of the radiator to above the rear axle where it will do more good.  And unless you are going to be building a street/gasser those horns are just so much added weight.

3 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

I love gassers so I will watch what you do with this one.  You might want to move the battery from in front of the radiator to above the rear axle where it will do more good.  And unless you are going to be building a street/gasser those horns are just so much added weight.

I agree, the front is all ready cut for the flip front and I don't think there will be any room for the horns anyways. On the flip side the car is coming real close to becoming barely street legal. I'll try and not go overboard and neglect the "legal" part of a street dragster. But at the end of the day welding a 4 link rear setup in a vehicle is still legal at least in my neck of the woods, but I really wouldn't know about anywhere else. 

1586825342232881898333.jpg

15868253882391279582728.jpg

15868254015631506434993.jpg

Edited by Gumball

On 4/14/2020 at 5:57 PM, Gumball said:

shoot totally missed that, thanks for pointing it out. and yes on a closer look it looks like some weird molding lines

It happens. I had someone spot one on a painted, cleared and foiled body. 

Cosmic Material (Rant) | Page 6 | DC Universe Online Forums

37 minutes ago, Jantrix said:

It happens. I had someone spot one on a painted, cleared and foiled body. 

Cosmic Material (Rant) | Page 6 | DC Universe Online Forums

Oh man that sucks. Good thing you pointed it out to me now, I would have forgotten the body mold lines as well. 

9 hours ago, David G. said:

Interesting mash-up, I'm curious to see how this plays out.

David G.

I'm glad you like it so far. But hopefully I won't disappoint you all when I show you how crappy the chassis is. It's like the old glue in some spots ended up eating away parts of the floor. So it's kinda super ugly. But I have already cut this one up and I don't want to cut up another good floor off another good 55 to use on a not so perfect body etc. I guess I forgot to mention that this is actually one of the first models my dad built way back when he wasn't far off my age. In fact all the tri five Chevy are his (including the rat rod 57 Nomad I put a Hemi in a while back) so I'd rather not cut up more of his kits. Good thing it's underneath the car and not the body itself. So far it's actually taken a lot of work to get the chassis looking the way it does now. 

15872445978651970107883.jpg

15872446119431755625746.jpg

Edited by Gumball

Just some more progress on the build from yesterday, really nothing much has changed today other then the position of the engine and 4 link rear end. I did this due to the body placement. The rear of the waggon sat two low where the bumper was touching the ground. As well the supercharger was intruding on the firewall. All fixed now. 

DSC_0626.JPG

DSC_0627.JPG

DSC_0628.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Man, this quarenteen is driving me crazy. Nothing but rain! Leaves me with nothing else to do but add more detail to the kit. I'm almost at the point now where there's almost nothing left to add to the engine! At least I'm not nailing it together... As of yet... 

15884519562851453279826.jpg

158845197967450079349.jpg

Edited by Gumball