Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1990 Pontiac Grand Prix SE

polybius

This Revell 1990 Pontiac Grand Prix SE was started a few years ago when I initially planned to build it as a companion to the similar Grand Prix McLaren Turbo.  However, after the body was painted it went back into its box until I recently got around to finishing it.  It turned out to be a practice run for a future McLaren Turbo build, and building this one helped to work out a few quirks of these kits.  I remember the excitement I felt when these kits were originally released in the late 1980s.  Back then I built all of them including the later GTP variat, but those old builds from childhood didn't survive the ages.  As the world turned, in 1994 I bought a real one (albeit slightly used) - a 1990 SE in black metallic - and I remember it being comfortable and loaded with gadgets. 

But I also remembered the 3.1L V6, while it sounded nice and throaty through the dual exhaust, provided adequate power but was less than enthusastic.  With that in mind, I figured this build could use some extra power from the 3.1L intercooled turbo borrowed from the McLaren kit.  Since the kit was originally tooled as a '88 spec, this kit's intake plenum is still the 2.8L from '88 rather than the later 3.1L from '89 on.  This was another good reason for upgrading the kit's engine.  The kit's interior is also '88 spec with the partially digital cluster, half-sized radio, and without the console mounted driver information center.  There were some changes made in the later '91 and '92 GTP kits including the heads-up-display, but these '90 kits were just a duplicate of the '88 kits.  Pontiac limited the color options on the SE and most had color-keyed wheels including white, maroon, blue, and gold (Light Camel Metallic).  The other SE colors such as silver, grey, and black typically had machine-faced wheels rather than color-keyed.  The closest in my DupliColor rattle can stash that matched the uncommon gold was Camel Metallic, so it's a slightly darker shade but close enough for my eye.  Other than swapping in the turbo engine and adding some ignition wires and carpet flocking, it's otherwise box stock.

If you are lucky enough to have one of these early Grand Prix kits that doesn't have a warped body or scratched windows, the kit generally assembles smoothly with relatively few fit issues.  These kits were developed around the time Monogram and Revell were merging, and while these Revell kits are 1:25 scale they used Monogram's 1:24 scale Goodyear Eagle Gatorback tires.  Despite searching my spares bin I couldn't find another set of 80s-90s era tires that would fit, so I had to settle for those that came in the kit.  These are more fitting and look great on the McLaren Turbo since it has wider fender flares, but the SE should have less aggressive and slightly smaller tires.  The 1:25 Thunderbird and Cougar kits were in the same boat, but I haven't come across suitable alternatives that are period correct.  A correctly scaled set of Goodyear Eagle GT+4 tires would have been ideal for these and other kits of the era.  Lastly, initially I hadn't planned to install the rear spoiler since even in '90 it still wasn't a factory option and they were somewhat rare as a dealer add-on, but I went ahead and drilled the mounting holes before discovering the kit's spoiler was badly warped.  Despite several tries to straighten it out, it still had a kink in it but I wasn't going to lose any sleep over it.  Ultimately it was a nice stroll down memory lane and I'm pleased to finally finish it.  

IMG_9090-1R.jpg

IMG_9038-1R.jpg

IMG_9048-1R.jpg

IMG_9061-1R.jpg

IMG_9107-1R.jpg

• Like 1

On 4/13/2020 at 11:50 PM, polybius said:

Great build - my dad bought GP's of this era so they have a spot on my shelf.

these Revell kits are 1:25 scale they used Monogram's 1:24 scale Goodyear Eagle Gatorback tires.  Despite searching my spares bin I couldn't find another set of 80s-90s era tires that would fit, so I had to settle for those that came in the kit.  These are more fitting and look great on the McLaren Turbo since it has wider fender flares, but the SE should have less aggressive and slightly smaller tires.  The 1:25 Thunderbird and Cougar kits were in the same boat, but I haven't come across suitable alternatives that are period correct.  A correctly scaled set of Goodyear Eagle GT+4 tires would have been ideal for these and other kits of the era.  Lastly, initially I hadn't planned to install the rear spoiler since even in '90 it still wasn't a factory option and they were somewhat rare as a dealer add-on, but I went ahead and drilled the mounting holes before discovering the kit's spoiler was badly warped.  Despite several tries to straighten it out, it still had a kink in it but I wasn't going to lose any sleep over it.  Ultimately it was a nice stroll down memory lane and I'm pleased to finally finish it.  

If you're still looking for more correctly sized tires that would be period correct you should try Fireball Modelworks.  He offers them in sizes for both 24th and 25ht scale and are MUCH better molded than the kit ones.

http://www.fireballmodels.info/

Edited by djflyer

These were great kits.   My wife at the time loved the real car, so of course I built one.  And then another.   Then the Cougar kit a couple times.   Yours looks great and nice to see it come to completion after all the years.